Help me find good maintenance gear.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JS_KnifeNerd

Help me find good maintenance gear.

Post by JS_KnifeNerd »

Hi, it's JS_KnifeNerd :spyder:
I am looking for good maintenance gear.
The two things I am looking for are good pivot oil and a bit set that fits knife screws. (I have bits but none of them fit).
I really think that for the pivot oil I should probably buy nano oil. Though there seems to be different types. Which should I get?
I would also appreciate recommendations for a bit set.
Thanks!
Sjucaveman

Re: Help me find good maintenance gear.

Post by Sjucaveman »

I use 5 weight nano oil and wiha torx bits.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

Adam
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Wiha for the win
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I highly recommend Nano Oil. Either 5 weight or 10 weight will work. The needle applicator is worth the cost alone: it allows you to precisely place a drop exactly where you need it, and one drop is usually all you need.

As far as bit sets, I don't have any specific recommendation, but I would advise you to buy them as if it were a knife - do your research, save your money and buy a high quality set.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
vivi

Post by vivi »

I use mineral oil. food safe and very cheap. I use a toothpick to put individual drops in the pivot.

I have a torx set from ifixit that works great.
:unicorn
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

One company I can name right off the top of my head is "SENTRY SOLUTIONS">> I've used a lot of their great maintenance products over the years and for the most part I'm very pleased. I actually like MILITEC 1 synthetic oil for my general lubrication needs better than any other out there on the market>> but the TUF-GLIDE Oil that Sentry Solutions makes isn't bad either. They also make a great dry lube with their "BP-2000" product. I've only ever encountered one other dry lube I like slightly better than it and unfortunately it's only available to commercial customers like factories, power plants and other big businesses. They have a product called TUF-CLOTH which you rub on knife blades and it gives them a very tough protective coating that works really well. Great company all the way around.

Also the ZEP company makes a wide array of cleaners, solvents, lubrication products and I'm here to tell everyone that their "nut & bolt" solvent used to break loose rusty nuts & bolts has no equal. That is if you ever actually need anything like that. I hope that's enough products to get you started. I look forward to other replies because I'm always on the search for better products.

Oh one last product you must have is to get yourself a big 16oz can of BALLISTOL. Don't get it in an aerosol can because it will cost you about 8 times as much as just getting it in a bulk can. You can get your own sprayer to spray it with for a fraction of the costs. That Ballistol is the greatest thing to use on materials like G-10, FRN, Micarta and other handle materals. It will make weathered, faded G-10 look like brand new. It will even heal up scratches, dings, dents on materials like G-10 and Micarta ect.

Also BALLISTOL is a great all purpose cleaner, lubricant and restorer for a wide range of maintenance jobs. Keep us posted and let us know how you do :)
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

I'm surprised you Didn't start with the ballistol tip :)
Good bits are a must. If you allready Have a driver you like, You can buy just the wiha bits. T5-T10 should cover most if not All your normal knife screws.
https://www.bladehq.com/item--Wiha-Tool ... Set--49041. Half the price Of a driver with bits.
Ballistol truly is a Great multipurpose oil/cleaner/restorer.
Last edited by Mom3ntuM on Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I vote for 5w Nano Oil.

I may be the only person who's had bad experiences with Wiha bits. I prefer the PB Swiss driver set, but it's a lot more expensive.
JS_KnifeNerd

Post by JS_KnifeNerd »

It seems like a lot of people like 5w Nano oil and Wiha bits. Does anyone else like BALLISTOL because I am really considering getting it. Is BALLISTOL a good lube? I have heard that people apply different weight oils for different parts of the knife. What do you guys think about this?
Thank you!!! :spyder:
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

JS_KnifeNerd wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:11 pm
It seems like a lot of people like 5w Nano oil and Wiha bits. Does anyone else like BALLISTOL because I am really considering getting it. Is BALLISTOL a good lube? I have heard that people apply different weight oils for different parts of the knife. What do you guys think about this?
Thank you!!! :spyder:
Hey Jeremy, Ballistol is nothing special as far as lubricants go and I'd be inclined to say it's about on par with mineral oil. It is however excellent for cleaning and maintaining G-10 and I'd assume FRN scales also, though I haven't used it on FRN myself.

I find quality synthetic grease works best on pivots and lasts the longest but you need to disassemble a knife in order to access the pivot and thrust washers.

I also use Wiha drivers and I don't think you can go wrong buying a set. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

I use ballistol on my guns, great stuff. Invented by germans around 1904. It works on everything gives soft skin and smells like dirty socks. I love it except the smell.
Adam
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I like my tuf- cloth. It sits in its little pot and is great for quickly wiping down blades.

Wiha/Wera are excellent bits but care is still needed. Oversized drivers/handles or just over-exuberance can encourage over-tightening which can be catastrophic, or over-stressing/damage to screws you are trying to undo which may have been loctited, with similar results.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Ballistol and Wiha do all my maintenance. Lint free wipes like Kimwipes or lint free cloths help as well.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Ruudr

Post by Ruudr »

I use The Ifixit tool set in combination with a Wiha set. For lube I use Nano oil 10w and for maintance oil I use Ballistol.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Another vote for Wiha torx, in particular sizes 6,8, and 10.
I'm a fan of the Boker Oil pen https://www.bladehq.com/item--Boker-Oil ... ife--31908
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Wiha tools get my vote. I have them in torx and standard allen for my knives and I wouldn’t use anything else. I use to be a big fan on 5w nano oil, and still use it occasionally, but I have become a real big fan of christos grease, or also known as the CRK grease that Chris Reeves uses. I find personally it does a better job, lasts longer, and you don’t make a mess or get oil stains, on say if you had a Jade G10 handle. And you can’t forget a Sharpmaker with an extra set of diamond rods.
Josh
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

I suggest you use the Nano-oil 10w OR the Victorinox multitool oil. Both of these have the proper viscosity needed to last a long time in the pivot of your knives. The victorinox oil is the cheapest of them and my go-to oil lately. Its also food-safe. As for the bit set, I think the other users covered it. Can't really go wrong, even the lower quality / cheaper ones do their job, particularly when all you use them for is taking apart knives.