Today Was Sharpening Day

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Joey

Re: Today Was Sharpening Day

Post by Joey »

Like some others mentioned, every day is sharpening day for me. Some days I don’t, but I like to keep every edge in the house nice and sharp. I even find myself sharpening knives that don’t quite need it, and tend to really enjoy it.
Sharpening has always intrigued me, but I never got into it until I found Spyderco. These stones that you can use without lube of any sort, blew my mind. My problem was; I was too nervous to learn a skill, while at the same time leaning to properly care for the stones that require lubricant during use. Now that I’ve learned, I’ll never leave the house with a ‘less than razor sharp’ knife.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

It's almost meditative for me. So I definitely enjoy it. It's nice to just take a break from the world and focus on a task.
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

Sharpening knives is my favorite thing to do.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Today is "fix the slightly rolled edge on my Smock". :( :mad:
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Donut

Post by Donut »

I don't usually like to do it and try to avoid it some, but some days I get the urge to touch them up before carrying them. Usually that's on the weekend.

It sure is awesome when you get done and you don't have to worry about "Is my knife really sharp?"
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Got done reprofiling my Tenacious, and after taking it to the sharpmaker it's good and sharp. Nice looking edge too, better than factory! It's at 16 dps (roughly) with the sharpmaker 40 degree edge. Sooooo smooth. Best edge I've put on a knife since using the lansky system. Now I have diamond stones for it... Should make really short work of any steel I have!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

soc_monki wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:34 pm
Got done reprofiling my Tenacious, and after taking it to the sharpmaker it's good and sharp. Nice looking edge too, better than factory! It's at 16 dps (roughly) with the sharpmaker 40 degree edge. Sooooo smooth. Best edge I've put on a knife since using the lansky system. Now I have diamond stones for it... Should make really short work of any steel I have!
Wouldn't that mean it's at 20 dps if you used the Sharpmaker at 40 degree setting?
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
vivi

Post by vivi »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:36 pm
soc_monki wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:34 pm
Wouldn't that mean it's at 20 dps if you used the Sharpmaker at 40 degree setting?
Sounds like his bevel is 16DPS with a 20DPS apex.

This is similar to how I run my edges. 12DPS bevel, 15DPS apex. Means you work much less steel during a touch-up.
:unicorn
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:36 pm

Vivi has it right. 16dps main bevel, 20 dps apex. It's the same as doing a 15/20 like on the sharpmaker, I just completely redid the main bevel on the lansky because it is quicker. I mucked up the edge on bench stones, because I'm just not that good! It was sharp, but looked horrid. Much more pleasant to look at now,im much happier with it. I'll see if I can get pictures soon.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Tims

Post by Tims »

I dread reprofiling and was starting to feel the same using guided/set angle systems to sharpen/touch up. So, I put it all away and have found renewed enthusiasm in freehanding.
I’ve always enjoyed stropping and freehanding my convexed blades. Theres something enjoyable about feeling for an edge that you don’t get outside of freehanding. I could change my mind in a month but at this stage I plan to only use my guided systems for setting a primary bevel. Oh and the sharpmaker for serrations