Caribbean SE Mega Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ladybug93

Re: Caribbean SE Mega Thread

Post by ladybug93 »

this thread is working me hard. it’s still not my favorite knife visually, but a spyderedge sheepsfoot would make a great ocean and emergency knife. maybe even better and safer than my pacific salt. maybe. and a plain edge leaf with some dye might be nice for an edc.

you have me going from never to maybe two. :\
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ladybug93 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:48 am
this thread is working me hard. it’s still not my favorite knife visually, but a spyderedge sheepsfoot would make a great ocean and emergency knife. maybe even better and safer than my pacific salt. maybe. and a plain edge leaf with some dye might be nice for an edc.

you have me going from never to maybe two. :\

I've got some ideas for mods on the sheepsfoot version. I just have some other things absorbing my funds for a while so it'll take a while to get it done.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
hambone56rx

Post by hambone56rx »

Evil D,

Love the YouTube Video! How did you sharpen it? On the Sharpmaker? I’m thinking about getting my boss’ son one of these as he is going to do ROTC at VMI. No matter what he gets into, this thing will still be cranking. And the SE will be great for field use.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

hambone56rx wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:01 pm
Evil D,

Love the YouTube Video! How did you sharpen it? On the Sharpmaker? I’m thinking about getting my boss’ son one of these as he is going to do ROTC at VMI. No matter what he gets into, this thing will still be cranking. And the SE will be great for field use.

Right now I'm only using the Sharpmaker but I'm planning on switching over to the Golden Stone to give it some testing as well.
~David
hambone56rx

Post by hambone56rx »

[/quote]

Right now I'm only using the Sharpmaker but I'm planning on switching over to the Golden Stone to give it some testing as well.
[/quote]

Outstanding! Thanks for the info!
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

The SE Caribbean blade is FFG.

But its primary bevel is a chisel grind (like all other Spyderedges). The bevel’s side opposite the presentation side remains on the same plane as the blade’s FFG.

Has there been talk about creating a Spyderedge by grinding each side of the bevel equally?

Would such a bevel alone reduce snag or chatter? Could rounder teeth be more easily achieved on such a bevel? Would retooling be cost-prohibitive?
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

wrdwrght wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:46 pm

But its primary bevel is a chisel grind (like all other Spyderedges). The bevel’s side opposite the presentation side remains on the same plane as the blade’s FFG.

Has there been talk about creating a Spyderedge by grinding each side of the bevel equally?

Would such a bevel alone reduce snag or chatter? Could rounder teeth be more easily achieved on such a bevel? Would retooling be cost-prohibitive?
I haven’t heard talk of introducing bilateral symmetry in serrations by Spyderco. I do have thoughts about it.

To grind serrations on both sides introduces more tooling and more time for the manufacturing process. It also requires exquisitely exact registration to align the ridges and valleys on both sides. It can be done, but would cost more. I believe Chris Reeve Knives made a fixed blade with bilateral (centered) serrations. Maybe someone here has one and can speak to performance.

To your performance questions, I don’t see how rounder teeth would be any easier to produce in grinding both sides. Neither is it plain that 2-sided serrations would reduce snagging of themselves. The only practical advantage I’d see would be a neutral cutting line. The blade wouldn’t steer itself away from the side with the flutes. This is more of a problem in long thin knives like my 11” bread knife when used on watermelon. The effect is modest in the shorter, stiffer blades of folding knives.

Interestingly, the flutes on a double-sided serrated blade would need to grow longer to maintain the same included angle at the apex as on a single-sided serrated blade. This might require a larger diameter grinding wheel to accomplish, or a process in which the wheel travels up/down the height of the blade instead of merely arcing into it.

That said, I’d love a bilaterally serrated thin watermelon knife, but not for an extremely high price.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

wrdwrght wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:46 pm

Just my uneducated opinion, but I think grinding each side of the bevel of a spyderedged knife would not be a good idea.
My reasoning:

- One thing that makes SE such a great performer is the low inclusive edge angle, so let´s say 15 to 20 degrees on one side, but due to the chisel grind almost zero degrees on the other side (makes for around 15 to 20 inclusive))
- Option 1 when grinding both sides: Keeping the low inclusive angle: That would mean 7 to 10 degrees per side and would make the grind go very high up the blade. Don´t know how this would work, but at least one had to remove a lot of metal when sharpening the hole edge
- Option 2 when grinding both sides: Go to 30 to 40 inclusive like on most PE knives (so 15 to 20 per side): This would simply take away one of the performance boosting features of SE...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Grinding both sides would give you a bevel that's super thick at the high center of the scallops and probably wouldn't slice well at all. I've seen some fixed blades (don't remember the brand) that have basically single serrations cut in alternating sides from each other but I'm not sure there's any advantage to that either.

I was just slicing up this apple the other day, maybe I've gotten used to the "chisel grind walk" or maybe this Caribbean just doesn't do it as much but it was very easy to slice. I've always heard that a knife slices well if you can slice a large apple in half without it breaking before you finish the slice. It didn't leave any serration marks either.

~David
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Thank Bill, Gernot, and David for your persuasive thoughts.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
justjohn

Post by justjohn »

Outfreakinstanding write up David! If anyone still has a question regarding this knife they had to have skipped over the information during their read. :D

BLL (Bottom Line Last)
100% professional grade evaluation and write up.

P.S.
"I'm getting me one before they gat gone."
- John

:bug-red "Spyderco"...Vēnērunt, vīdērunt, vīcērunt :bug-red
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

justjohn wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:29 pm
Outfreakinstanding write up David! If anyone still has a question regarding this knife they had to have skipped over the information during their read. :D

BLL (Bottom Line Last)
100% professional grade evaluation and write up.

P.S.
"I'm getting me one before they gat gone."

Thanks! It's been a really fun thread to work on.

Actually, THIS is the one that was fun to work on :D
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85045
~David
fixall

Post by fixall »

Just wanted to give Evil D a shout out and thanks for the giveaway without muddying up the giveaway thread. :)

I am eventually going to pick up a plain edge, sheepsfoot, so I'm not going to enter... But super, super cool of you!

Thanks for helping make this place what it is.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Such a beautiful knife and an awesome review. There's a lot of great people on this forum. I wish one of my local dealers had one so I could check out how it feels.