Caribbean SE Mega Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: Caribbean SE Mega Thread

Post by Evil D »

elena86 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:03 pm
Those "rounded" serrations are a dealbreaker for me. I am a sucker for the old school spyderedge with pointy and agressive teeth but I might get the plain edge Caribbean... one of these days.
Well I can't tell you what to like but we're definitely on opposite sides on this one. They shouldn't be hard to sharpen to a point if you wanted to though. They've been sharpened a good bit in my pics so they're a wee bit pointier from the factory but not much.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Great review, and funny, I've said before it looks like an upsized d'allara 3 (especially in sheepsfoot)

Definitely looks 100% workhorse
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I have on my desk a device used in ocean environments which has fasteners made from 316 steel. It’s been used for years and they are absolutely pristine. You have to remember that both heat treat and composition affect corrosion resistance. The nitrogen steels are unique in that they have extreme corrosion resistance WHILE having the necessary properties to make a good blade.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

tvenuto wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:22 am
I have on my desk a device used in ocean environments which has fasteners made from 316 steel. It’s been used for years and they are absolutely pristine. You have to remember that both heat treat and composition affect corrosion resistance. The nitrogen steels are unique in that they have extreme corrosion resistance WHILE having the necessary properties to make a good blade.

Yeah I was aware of that, I just thought I remembered reading that they thought about using LC for everything. It's already been a while since this knife was first talked about. Time sure flies.
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

So I've encountered something really unusual, I'm curious if anyone else has had this happen...it seems the thread lock I'm using is refusing to cure on the pivot screw. I'm using Permatex Blue. It's curing just fine on the scale screws but the pivot is noticably still wet, not dried at all and definitely not holding tight as thread locker does. Any ideas?
~David
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Could it be contaminated with oil or grease? If so the trick would be to remove the screw and clean the threads with rubbing alcohol. The difficulty is cleaning the female threads effectively if the knife is assembled. Hope you get it sorted.
Evil D wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:12 am
So I've encountered something really unusual, I'm curious if anyone else has had this happen...it seems the thread lock I'm using is refusing to cure on the pivot screw. I'm using Permatex Blue. It's curing just fine on the scale screws but the pivot is noticably still wet, not dried at all and definitely not holding tight as thread locker does. Any ideas?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Enactive wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:18 am
Could it be contaminated with oil or grease? If so the trick would be to remove the screw and clean the threads with rubbing alcohol. The difficulty is cleaning the female threads effectively if the knife is assembled. Hope you get it sorted.
Evil D wrote:
I do grease my pivots do that's possible, but I'm usually pretty careful to keep the threads clean. I've got the screws sitting in acetone and I chased the female threads out with a soaked q-tip as best as I could. We'll see I guess.
~David
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Cool. I hope it works for you. Acetone should certainly have a better chance of removing the contamination (if there is any) than rubbing alcohol. :)

I've had my eye on a Caribbean, but i just don't think i'll justify one to myself... kinda the same with the Shaman. I have at least handled a Shaman to know that i love the ergos. The Caribbean looks great in that regard too, but i haven't gotten to handle one yet.
Evil D wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:46 am
Enactive wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:18 am
Evil D wrote:
I do grease my pivots do that's possible, but I'm usually pretty careful to keep the threads clean. I've got the screws sitting in acetone and I chased the female threads out with a soaked q-tip as best as I could. We'll see I guess.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Enactive wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:53 pm
Cool. I hope it works for you. Acetone should certainly have a better chance of removing the contamination (if there is any) than rubbing alcohol. :)

I've had my eye on a Caribbean, but i just don't think i'll justify one to myself... kinda the same with the Shaman. I have at least handled a Shaman to know that i love the ergos. The Caribbean looks great in that regard too, but i haven't gotten to handle one yet.

I was set on a Shaman until getting this Caribbean. It really sums up most of what I want in a folder.
~David
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:35 pm
Enactive wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:53 pm

I was set on a Shaman until getting this Caribbean. It really sums up most of what I want in a folder.
Another convert >:)

You shall all bow to the Caribbean!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

David, I have been following this thread since you started it. I appreciate what your doing. I can't wait to here your report. I would have bought a Caribbean when it dropped, but can't get over the color of the scales. I only hope a retailer does a Sprint run with sheep for blade.
Justin
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

crazywednesday wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:52 pm
David, I have been following this thread since you started it. I appreciate what your doing. I can't wait to here your report. I would have bought a Caribbean when it dropped, but can't get over the color of the scales. I only hope a retailer does a Sprint run with sheep for blade.
I'd be really surprised if they didn't do an all black DLC version eventually like most Salts have gotten.
~David
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

You know I have been thinking of dying my PE completely black but found the color is not so bad in person and it has grown on me. I have several yellow salts and and orange Spydiehawk and the very thing I thought I would dislike ( Bright Colors) is one of the things I like best as I can lay them down and see them when I go looking for them.

The yellow on the Caribbean is less pronounced than it appears in pictures although Davids pictures are pretty close and some of the best I have seen, if this helps.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I got that notch sorted out at the end of the blade. I first tried to just sharpen it, which did work but it was this awkward little PE section so instead I blended it down into the last serration. It works rather well, but that spot is very hard to get to on the Sharpmaker anyway so this is really just to make sure there's no possible snag point so even if that spot was dull it will allow material to slide down it and into the sharpened edge.

And yeah, the yellow is not really as loud as it seems in these pics. They're in natural sunlight and I'm pretty sure the camera is set for "vivid" so the saturation may be higher than normal. They certainly do pop in direct sunlight but they're not so bad. I'm back and forth about dying it...I think it would look better in all black, but then the color is also what makes it unique. I've seen a few other color dye jobs and some turned out really well. Time will tell if I can hold out or not.
~David
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Nice work did you use a dremel to get into it or just used the sharpmaker ?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:13 am
Nice work did you use a dremel to get into it or just used the sharpmaker ?

A little of both really. I shaped it with the Dremel and then smoothed it out and blended the edge in on the diamond rods and then sharpened it with the blade out of the handle. If you hold the knife at an angle to the Sharpmaker rods you can hit that spot but I also think doing so lowers the angle because it almost reprofiled that whole back serration.
~David
mattman

Post by mattman »

Excellent write-up! I don't have one yet, but I will probably get one at some point... Haven't bought much this past year, but I'm gonna snag a Drunken as soon as I find one in stock, and then hold off till I hear more about the new kitchen knives.

(Did you sort your loctite issue?)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

mattman wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:54 pm
Excellent write-up! I don't have one yet, but I will probably get one at some point... Haven't bought much this past year, but I'm gonna snag a Drunken as soon as I find one in stock, and then hold off till I hear more about the new kitchen knives.

(Did you sort your loctite issue?)
Not yet. I put it back together without any just in case I needed to take it apart again to work on that last serration more. I'll get back to ya when I put some in.
~David
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Evil.

Great review. Very thorough. Most would not notice the details. Appreciate!

sal
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Thank you for a comprehensive review. Caribbean is my next knife.