What is the hardest (but still possible) spyderco to spydieflick?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
M4Life

What is the hardest (but still possible) spyderco to spydieflick?

Post by M4Life »

Hey guys If your like me one of the first things you do when you get a new spyderco is try to spydieflick it open. But we all know that there are some spydercos that are harder to flick open. So I wanted to see what you guys thought the hardest spyderco to spydieflick while still not being impossible to open this way? Also do you guys have any spydercos that you think can be spydieflicked but haven't been able to up to this point (for me that would be the chapparal LW). Let me know what you guys think below.
Just a man with a plan and a knife in hand.

My knives: Para 3 S110V (customized), Para 3 M390, PM2 S110V, Manix 2 CPM 154/S90V, Dice, Rubicon, Vrango, Native 5 CPM 154/S90V, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug, Chaparral LW, Kizer Megatherium
spyderg

Re: What is the hardest (but still possible) spyderco to spydieflick?

Post by spyderg »

The hardest to flick Spydie I’ve got is the Native3, (unless you employ a little wrist - the action and spring tension are fine but the hole isn’t in the right spot for flicking) Runner up my ss slipjoint Kiwi. Some might answer your question with the Techno or something with little access on the right handed finger flick side but I’m a lefty so those ones end up perfect for me.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I can flick my Chap. I can flick a Ladybug. I find the Native a bit challenging. I find the Sage which is quite similar to the Native quite easy. Small differences matter I guess.

My Kiwi4 and Caplifter Clipitool are probably the only two I cannot flick.

I am not really a flicker though. I do still try with each knife. It is a good judge of opening ergos as well as of the action. I want it smooth and easy to open even if I am not a flicker and a knife that is easy to flick is usually also easy to open slowly.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

Dfly possible, but not practical at all

Stil can't flick a chap open!
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Endura 4 is getting tough but certainly flickable every time.

I can't flick my byrd cara cara 2 stainless (maybe I could with a spydie hole instead of a byrd eye). And this is a good data point if anyone else can, since there's no pivot screw (or any screws for that matter) for pivot tightness to be a concern (some people don't touch their pivot screw and leave it factory, and some loosen/tighten).
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
M4Life

Post by M4Life »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:17 pm
I can flick a Ladybug.
Now that's impressive!
Just a man with a plan and a knife in hand.

My knives: Para 3 S110V (customized), Para 3 M390, PM2 S110V, Manix 2 CPM 154/S90V, Dice, Rubicon, Vrango, Native 5 CPM 154/S90V, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug, Chaparral LW, Kizer Megatherium
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Backlocks just laugh when I try to flick them open
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I would say the PITS.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Marulaghost wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:20 pm
Dfly possible, but not practical at all

Stil can't flick a chap open!
For me it's the Chap either. Can't flick it without a little additional wrist-flick cause the blade is so light.

Marulaghost, key for me when flicking any Spyderco is: With the thumb in the hole I do a flick like I am pushing the blade to the front of the handle, not outwards, so not away from the base of the handle.. hard to expain, hope you get what I mean..
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

They're all hard. I can't flick any of them.
Tims

Post by Tims »

I don’t get any enjoyment flicking my backlocks but have naturally tested them. I can flick them all but frn dragonflys and stainless endura are the toughest.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Szabo Folder.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
attila

Post by attila »

The K390 Urban, followed closely by the blue P.I.T.S., is hardest for me, but it's doable.

After these, the Native 5 is next most difficult, but I've got it figured out, so I won't call it hard anymore.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
ferider

Post by ferider »

archangel wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:52 am
Szabo Folder.
True.

Except for the Szabo and a Ti Endura, I can index finger flick all my Spydies. And no blade-play in any of them (easy to get any Spydie to flick if you allow for play). The Ti Endura has the (non-smooth) Damascus blade rubbing against the scales and I've been too lazy to fix it until now.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If you can flick a Kiwi 3 slip joint then you're more man than me.

Can anyone flick a Bug? Lol
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Depending on the pole you attach it to, the Whale Rescue Tool.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

In my pile, it’s the smaller Spydies that deny me the flick.

Only sometimes can I flick my Chaparral open completely.

Not so my DF2, Kiwi4, UKPK, Urban, Squeak, Air, Manbug, or Ladybug. I’m surprised when they open even halfway, and it’s less the momentum than the thumb press.

ETA: Surprised myself. I can also sometimes flick open completely my Manbug Salt wharnie.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
archangel

Post by archangel »

Flicking is accepted community technique either with you index finger or you thumb, right? Because I have rather short fingers and can only index finger flick one or two spydies, but almost all of them (except the tiny SS ones and the Pingo) with the thumb.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:28 am

This thread had me curious about a couple of my Spydies so I went and tried again. The kiwi slip joint proved harder than I remembered when I used to carry it often. Needed a drop of oil but it flicked, both middle finger and thumb. Not before it bit me though, lol! It’s moved into hardest to flick spot followed by one I had forgotten, micro dyad. I found the Native 3 much easier than the last time I tried it, geometry still not ideal for flicking though. Dyad jr. not particularly easy either.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

spyderg wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:33 pm
Evil D wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:28 am

This thread had me curious about a couple of my Spydies so I went and tried again. The kiwi slip joint proved harder than I remembered when I used to carry it often. Needed a drop of oil but it flicked, both middle finger and thumb. Not before it bit me though, lol! It’s moved into hardest to flick spot followed by one I had forgotten, micro dyad. I found the Native 3 much easier than the last time I tried it, geometry still not ideal for flicking though. Dyad jr. not particularly easy either.
Just opening those Kiwi's one handed is a bit of a challenge for me, my hands are huge and there's not a lot to hold onto.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David