On Short Deep Carry Clips

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SleeplessInSoCal

On Short Deep Carry Clips

Post by SleeplessInSoCal »

Does anyone own both MXG Gear and Casey Lynch short deep three hole carry clips on their knives?

I really like the comfort of the short deep three hole clip from MXG Gear. Just wondering if the Lynch piece melts as easily into the palm.

Thanks in advance
TkoK83Spy

Re: On Short Deep Carry Clips

Post by TkoK83Spy »

That's a pretty tough question to answer, as everyone has different sized hands/fingers.

I wear a Medium/Large size glove and have these clips on a Delica and a couple Para 3's I use as at work on a weekly basis. Warehouse work, so I put them to some use. For me, they are comfortable in hand. Have never experienced any discomfort over an extended period of time while using these knives.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

SleeplessInSoCal wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:36 am
Does anyone own both MXG Gear and Casey Lynch short deep three hole carry clips on their knives?

I really like the comfort of the short deep three hole clip from MXG Gear. Just wondering if the Lynch piece melts as easily into the palm.

Thanks in advance
I have them both and I prefer the Lynch clip. For me it just slides in and out of the pocket more easily and IMHO looks better too. :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
SleeplessInSoCal

holeshot wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:37 am
SleeplessInSoCal wrote:

Thanks in advance
I have them both and I prefer the Lynch clip. For me it just slides in and out of the pocket more easily and IMHO looks better too. :)
Thanks for the input! The MXG short deep 3 hole is really comfortable in my large hands. Just melts right in, and I don’t feel it when I grip it firmly.

I’m happy with the way that the MXG slides in and out. No complaints. But does the profile of the Lynch product make itself known with any new pressure points in your palm, or does it just melt right in like the MXG short deep carry 3 hole does for me?

As an example, I love the short MXG 3 hole deep carry, but the long (or regular size) clip in the same model feels just awful to me. It stands out from the scales, presses into my palm all the way down its length, makes the knife feel much larger in the hand, and maybe worst of all, because of that increased length, it flexes when I grip the knife with any sort of moderately firm grip.

I also am disappointed with the fact that after I had the long three hole deep carry clip installed for all of a day before I realized how uncomfortable it was for me, the clip had gouged the scale at its contact point.

Their customer service is good.
Birddog1

Post by Birddog1 »

New guy here. I have both Lynch and MXG for a PM2 and Para 3. I bought the MXG first but after buying the Lynch that is what stayed on both knives.
SleeplessInSoCal

Birddog1 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:35 pm
New guy here. I have both Lynch and MXG for a PM2 and Para 3. I bought the MXG first but after buying the Lynch that is what stayed on both knives.
Thanks so much for your valuable input!

Were both the Lynch and the MXG clips the three hole deep carry short clips?
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

SleeplessInSoCal wrote:

Thanks in advance
I have multiples of both....including the lanyard hole version of the MXG. I like the Lynch clip better for my XL-XXL sized hands, Just feels "softer " to me in a hard grip!
Quality is very good from both companies. ....

James
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

I have a few of both the Lynch and MXG short clips.

They are both quite comfortable on all the models I have them fitted on.

The MXGs seem to have smoother finishing on the edges and corners.

The Lynch clips seem slightly more comfortable in hand.

The ‘spoon’ end of the Lynch clip is angled differently, and adds to the comfort level.

But they’re both good clips.

Here’s a couple of each for comparison (Lynch on the outsides, MXGs in the middle):

f. Bandersnatch

Post by f. Bandersnatch »

Registered just to weigh in on this. Love the forum, but I went through the same struggle with Lynch and mxg clips recently, and I felt compelled to share.

I have both the Lynch and mxg clips and use them on my para 3s.

The mxg short clip fits my hand on a para 3 perfectly. It's nice and short and out of the way when you are actually using the knife.

The Lynch clip is a whole lot better, in my opinion, at clipping. What I mean is that it is much easier to pull out and replace in the pocket than the mxg. As an added bonus, Casey Lynch is a class act and I feel really good about giving him money.

They are both great aftermarket clips, but I have changed out all of my mxg clips in favor of Lynch nw clips, if that tells you anything about functionality.
SleeplessInSoCal

Extra330SC wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:08 pm
SleeplessInSoCal wrote:

Thanks in advance
I have multiples of both....including the lanyard hole version of the MXG. I like the Lynch clip better for my XL-XXL sized hands, Just feels "softer " to me in a hard grip!
Quality is very good from both companies. ....

James
Huge help, thank you. That was just the info that I was looking for.
SleeplessInSoCal

f. Bandersnatch wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:49 am
Registered just to weigh in on this. Love the forum, but I went through the same struggle with Lynch and mxg clips recently, and I felt compelled to share.

I have both the Lynch and mxg clips and use them on my para 3s.

The mxg short clip fits my hand on a para 3 perfectly. It's nice and short and out of the way when you are actually using the knife.

The Lynch clip is a whole lot better, in my opinion, at clipping. What I mean is that it is much easier to pull out and replace in the pocket than the mxg. As an added bonus, Casey Lynch is a class act and I feel really good about giving him money.

They are both great aftermarket clips, but I have changed out all of my mxg clips in favor of Lynch nw clips, if that tells you anything about functionality.
Ok, so your experience is that the MXG clip feels a little better, but the Lynch clip works better? Am I reading that right?

Thanks so much for your input.
f. Bandersnatch

Post by f. Bandersnatch »

Yes, that's what I am saying.

That applies to my hand and the para 3 specifically, so there are plenty of variables, and its a entirely subjective thing, so you could always just try both. Just don't do what I did and buy five of one type before you try the other.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I carried a Lynch clip on my Delica for a long time. I’d buy my clips from Casey.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
FDE

Post by FDE »

As a long time Lynch clip customer and user I can vouch for Casey's incredible customer service and quality of his clips. To date, I have many more Lynch clips than anything else. That said, I purchased a MXG clip for a Para 3 when Lynch clips we unobtainable for a period of time. I have come to prefer the MXG Para 3 specific clip over the Lynch clips I had used for years on Paramilitary 2s and Para 3s. The reasons I prefer the MXG over the Lynch are as follows:
-slightly thicker material on the MXG seems to be less proned to bending when snagged.
-the little wider spoon and profile of the end of the MGX is less fussy about sliding over thicker pocket material.
-lastly and probably due to the combination of the last two characteristics is the stronger tension of the clip in the pocket. Yes it makes the knife less "smooth" going in and out of the pocket, but not to the point it requires two hands to do so. In a few years of using only Lynch clips I had knifes slip out unknowingly, so pretecting my $130+ knife from loss it more important to me than a smooth pocket clip draw.
All in all, you really can't go wrong either. Both are an excellent product. Above is just my preference for my job application and lifestyle. I can see where someone working in an office environment might prefer the slimmer exposed profile of the Lynch for a more inconspicuous carry.
I hope my rambling helps you some.
-Nick
Birddog1

Post by Birddog1 »

SleeplessInSoCal wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:44 pm
Birddog1 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:35 pm
Thanks so much for your valuable input!

Were both the Lynch and the MXG clips the three hole deep carry short clips?
Yes both brands were 3 hole, shorts. I thought the Lynch were easier in and out of my pocket with a good amount of retention. IMO the Lynch is much better than the MXG on the Para 3 because it doesn’t cover the lanyard hole. That’s only a cosmetic thing but it looks sharp (no pun intended)