Dedicated Vehicle Emergency Knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SaltSerious

Dedicated Vehicle Emergency Knife

Post by SaltSerious »

This post may have been generated already but was curious how common it is to have a dedicated emergency knife within reach if the need arises. I placed my circa 1996 fully serrated ats-55 RESCUE in my visor pocket recently and wanted to see and hear what other's in the community are doing.
Calicoast

Re: Dedicated Vehicle Emergency Knife

Post by Calicoast »

I keep a Benchmade Triage in my center console. Sheepsfoot blade, seat belt cutter, window breaker.

In case you roll, etc. visor might not be the best place as it might go flying, and perhaps hard to locate quickly.

I was keeping my knife in the passenger side glove box, but figured if I took an impact to that side, glove box might open up and my knife go flying as well. So now I keep it in the center console - being more neutral from impacts left or right.
C
anycal

Post by anycal »

Permanent resident in my truck's ashtray. It gets pulled out into rotation now and then.

Peter
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Mine is a yellow Salt 1 SE
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
vivi

Post by vivi »

I keep a CE Cara Cara in my glove box, along with a multi tool and flash light.
:unicorn
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

esee 5. you know... just in case the world is ending.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Keep a serrated Atlantic Salt in the door pocket of my SUV and a small Stanley Wonder Bar in the glove box. There's also a Buck Caper and a plastic tarp in the cargo area even though the deer here in SC are nowhere near as suicidal as those back in NY. Sports car has a serrated Pacific Salt in the door pocket and a Boker Cop tool in the center console.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
fixall

Post by fixall »

I live on the bay in the PNW and do a lot of biking near the docks and also bike to work daily.

I keep a Salt 2 SpydieEdge Wharncliffe in my bike bag (as well as a glass breaker) in case I ever need to cut wildlife loose from fishing line/rope or happen to need it for a seatbelt. The H1 steel comes in handy in case I forget about it in my bike bag (gotta love that PNW weather).

My Dad is a Homicide/Arson Detective for a large Sheriff Department and retired a Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force (PJ and then later EOD) and happens to think the Benchmade Triage is the greatest emergency knife ever made.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I have a leatherman crater c33tx (more a knife, not really a multitool) ready to grab it in my car. I did not choose that knife for that purpose (don´t even really like it, though for its price it´s ok). Just had it, never carried it and thought as a car knife it could be of at least some use.

Actually it has some advantages in that capacity: It features a fold out carabiner, and is clipped to a thin leatherstrap that runs around the gearstick. So it can´t go anywhere, but if I´d pull hard the strap would tear and I´d have the knife ready. Additionally it features a flat - and phillips screwdriver, as well as a partially serrated blade (good for seatbelt cutting); The steel is 420 hc, never really used the knife so I can´t evaluate that steel, but edge retention is obviously not much of a concern in that kind of emergency knife. Even more so, as if I need a knife for regular tasks while I am in my car, I always use the Spyderco-of-the-day that´s in my front pocket.

Maybe some day I´ll get a dedicated Spyderco-vehicle-emergency knife. Mainly just because I like Spyderco so much.

Though I think the most usefull knife for the given scenario would be a small fixed blade in a well fitted kydex sheath, that it is attached somehow secure to a place where you can access it really well. I figure there might be emergencies (or injuries) in which you had a hard time to open a folder.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Byrd Rescue 2. Just keep one in the center console and the issue is done. It's an excellent performer.

Warning: you'll have plenty of money leftover and will certainly buy a spyderco knife with it.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

H1 Enuff (SE) in the center console.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

For years I kept an ASSIST model with the glassbreaker in my glovebox. I also keep one of my Multi-tools handy as well. I'm hoping that someone might chime in with a suggestion on a car/vehicle kit. However each person's ideal kit might consists of totally different tools.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Mine is a serrated snap-it.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Clipitool Rescue and Delica 4 PE
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

Had an assist in the console box that got stolen. Replaced it with a beater Atlantic salt.
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

I keep an orange assist and a leatherman wave in the center console. I’ve had the opportunity to test the assist on some seat belts and those serrations zip right through. Add in the glass breaker and in my opinion, this model is designed to be a vehicle emergency tool.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

blueblur wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:05 am
I keep an orange assist and a leatherman wave in the center console. I’ve had the opportunity to test the assist on some seat belts and those serrations zip right through. Add in the glass breaker and in my opinion, this model is designed to be a vehicle emergency tool.

I keep a Victorinox RescueTool and Victorinox SwissTool RS in my vehicles. The RescueTool has a glass breaker and both have seatbeat cutting blades. The SwissTool is heavy enough and long enough to use as a glass breaker in a pinch I would guess as well.

Thankfully never had to use them for an emergency situation.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
sal

Post by sal »

Hi SaltSerious,

Welcome to our forum.

Temperance 2 & Assist.

sal
JohnAPA

Post by JohnAPA »

sal wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:23 am
Hi SaltSerious,

Welcome to our forum.

Temperance 2 & Assist.

sal
Temprance 2 is an intriguing choice, Sal. I would love to hear your thoughts on this choice. It is one my favorite knives.
SaltSerious

Post by SaltSerious »

Calicoast wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:02 pm
I keep a Benchmade Triage in my center console. Sheepsfoot blade, seat belt cutter, window breaker.

In case you roll, etc. visor might not be the best place as it might go flying, and perhaps hard to locate quickly.

I was keeping my knife in the passenger side glove box, but figured if I took an impact to that side, glove box might open up and my knife go flying as well. So now I keep it in the center console - being more neutral from impacts left or right.
C
Calicoast,
In the event of a personal rollover, God forbid, like most Spyderco enthusiasts I have a knife on each side of my body. Along the same thought pattern as you with provisions on left and right side. SE Pacific Salt in left pocket with emergency whistle and olight flashlight attached to clip. SE Dragonfly salt on a beaded breakaway necklace and usually a SE Endura 3 with VG-10 on right side cargo pocket. As you can tell I love me some serrations.