G10 UKPK officially makes a return! Heinnie Haynes Exclusive

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jazz

Re: G10 UKPK officially makes a return! Heinnie Haynes Exclusive

Post by Jazz »

Costed me $133.00 Canadian. I hope I like it.
- best wishes, Jazz.
ihped1

Post by ihped1 »

Jazz wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:28 pm
My first one came out to $140, my second came out to $135. Amazing how much the currency changes so fast.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

ihped1 wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:34 pm
My first one came out to $140, my second came out to $135. Amazing how much the currency changes so fast.

That’s quite the difference. Are you Canadian?
- best wishes, Jazz.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Jazz wrote:

Do you feel like that’s a good price? I think it’s absolutey fair for what I’m getting.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
ihped1

Post by ihped1 »

Jazz wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:12 pm
ihped1 wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:34 pm

That’s quite the difference. Are you Canadian?
Yeah, I'm Canadian. That's with shipping. Our dollar is brutal. The S35VN DLC para 3 should cost me around $270 Canadian with duties once it gets here.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:47 pm
Jazz wrote:

Do you feel like that’s a good price? I think it’s absolutey fair for what I’m getting.

Actually it is. Our dollar really is crap right now, especially compared to the pound, though.
- best wishes, Jazz.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I had a nice surprise in my mailbox today from the UK!!! I didn't think we would be getting mail today being a holiday weekend. So I was very pleasntly surprised :D

My initial impressions on this knife, as most people are always excited about a new knife... but seriously, WOW!!!

This very well may be the most comfortable knife I've ever had in my hand. My God. It's a dream, a perfect fit! Not that it's anything like a Manix. But if the Manix feels like it melts into your hand just right, give this little guy a try. Amazing ergos, just a slimmer design. For my hands, these knives are 1a and 1b.

The G10 scales seem to match up perfectly in color with my Manix DLT exclusive, a beautiful color. The full length backspacer is a classy touch, just like the Delica Pakkawood exclusive.

Now, onto the part that may keep a lot of people from trying this knife. The lack of a lock. I honestly don't see how you could close this knife on your fingers, especially when utilizing the finger choil...which also makes it a dream fit in hand. No way you can close the blade on yourself. It actually takes a bit of pressure to do so. When it hits the half stop, it arguably feels like it's locked. I have relatively strong fingers and find it difficult to close this knife from the half stop position using only my index finger. I actually adjust my hand to close it with my thumb if closing it with one hand.

Anybody on the fence about this knife...you need to snag it quick while it's still available. I know the exchange rates vary and some have paid around $130 US dollars, others around $100. Regardless of those prices, this knife is totally worth it. Going to give my Chaparral, Delica, Para 3's a run for their money in that size category.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:41 pm
I had a nice surprise in my mailbox today from the UK!!! I didn't think we would be getting mail today being a holiday weekend. So I was very pleasntly surprised :D

My initial impressions on this knife, as most people are always excited about a new knife... but seriously, WOW!!!

This very well may be the most comfortable knife I've ever had in my hand. My God. It's a dream, a perfect fit! Not that it's anything like a Manix. But if the Manix feels like it melts into your hand just right, give this little guy a try. Amazing ergos, just a slimmer design. For my hands, these knives are 1a and 1b.

The G10 scales seem to match up perfectly in color with my Manix DLT exclusive, a beautiful color. The full length backspacer is a classy touch, just like the Delica Pakkawood exclusive.

Now, onto the part that may keep a lot of people from trying this knife. The lack of a lock. I honestly don't see how you could close this knife on your fingers, especially when utilizing the finger choil...which also makes it a dream fit in hand. No way you can close the blade on yourself. It actually takes a bit of pressure to do so. When it hits the half stop, it arguably feels like it's locked. I have relatively strong fingers and find it difficult to close this knife from the half stop position using only my index finger. I actually adjust my hand to close it with my thumb if closing it with one hand.

Anybody on the fence about this knife...you need to snag it quick while it's still available. I know the exchange rates vary and some have paid around $130 US dollars, others around $100. Regardless of those prices, this knife is totally worth it. Going to give my Chaparral, Delica, Para 3's a run for their money in that size category.
I couldn’t have said it any better. Btw, the caly 3 is the same knife with a backlock. Hopefully we will see more sprints of that soon. The caly3.5 is only slightly longer but has a much bigger blade. It’s like magic how they fit it all in there. The urban is similar and also excellent. A little smaller and more of a clip point blade rather than leaf. Glad you like it.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Funny you say that, because just last weekend I missed out on a Caly 3 Hap40 sprint by .75 cents on eBay and was pretty bummed. Sold for $137.75...great price for that knife! Always thought the size and look of the ergos would really work for me. I had been lurking around this thread since LC created it, intrigued...knowing the similarities to the Caly 3.

Last Sunday evening I went to the Heinnie Haynes website and saw this was still available and decided to pull the trigger. For the price, I personally feel like I may have got a better deal getting this one for $97. Funny how things work out sometimes!

-Rick
ihped1

Post by ihped1 »

Btw, the caly 3 is the same knife with a backlock.
I thought this was the case, but the blade on the caly 3 stands a little higher than the ukpk when the knives are open. So much that the ukpk feels so much better than the caly 3 in my hand.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:41 pm

So well said. I’m terrible with words so it brought a smile to my face to see someone write up the UKPK in such a nice way. I’d like to add though, that I consider this knife better than the caly as it is USA made (better fnf) and has S30V. :D
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
anycal

Post by anycal »

^^ if only the Caly (3 & 3.5) could come to Golden!
Peter
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Thanks for the kind words on my impression guys :)

That's straight from the heart. This little knife is awesome, I haven't been able to put it away.

We got my stepdaughter a new bike for Easter, her first "cool bike" as she called it (7 years old) she asked me to cut off all the tags on the bike and her new matching helmet. Cut away all the ties on her trampoline to replace the cover over the springs. Then cut up some chicken, cucumber, pepperochinis, tomato for some salads for dinner.

Such a versatile little knife, never once had a scare with it not having a lock.

I'll be damned, that I always overlooked this model until this thread...but the way it fits my hand, the light weight, wire clip... sounds crazy, but this knife could possibly be my one. I've never taken so quickly to a new model as I have to this knife. I enjoy other larger models and will always carry them, but this UKPK can certainly handle most of my daily tasks.

I thank you LC for creating this thread and bringing this specific model to my attention. :D

-Rick
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:37 am
if ordering outside of the U.K. be sure to remind them somewhere in your order so they don’t charge you the extra tax.

I’ve got good intel from a U.K. group that this was an 800 knife run and there are a little over 100 left. It doesn’t sound like there will be another run of these soon if ever.

For those on the fence, there is no way you will be disappointed by this knife. With all the CQI improvements it really is the best version of the ukpk ever made.
Have been tempted more than once but have decided to go with FRN offerings on shelves here at home and wait for a local G10 offering. I wonder how many of these knives remain on their own island and how many go elsewhere?

How is the balance on the G10 model vs that of the FRN? Seems like the weight would be shifting some to the rear with the full length back spacer. Do the G10 scales weigh any more than the FRN scales?

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Nate

Post by Nate »

cycleguy wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:04 am
How is the balance on the G10 model vs that of the FRN? Seems like the weight would be shifting some to the rear with the full length back spacer. Do the G10 scales weigh any more than the FRN scales?

CG

One of my frn UKPK's weighs in at 1.7oz vs. 2.2oz on the g10 exclusive. So half an ounce diff.

The g10 does balance further back, but not by a whole lot, right in the middle of the finger groove before the choil whereas the frn balances closer to the point on the scales.
:spyder:
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

My original black G10 model is perfect, with perfect action, and is one of my favorite whittling knives. I really wish I would have bought a carbon fibre one too. Patiently waiting for that red beauty. :cool:

Gsg9 - Very nice pic.
- best wishes, Jazz.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Nate wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:00 am
cycleguy wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:04 am

CG

One of my frn UKPK's weighs in at 1.7oz vs. 2.2oz on the g10 exclusive. So half an ounce diff.

The g10 does balance further back, but not by a whole lot, right in the middle of the finger groove before the choil whereas the frn balances closer to the point on the scales.
This sounds very attractive; balancing middle of second finger when index finger is in/under the choil area and still weighing in less than a Delica 4 FRN. I'm back to straddling the fence; forest green or blurple g10 would easily tip me to the buy side.

I wonder how much of the .5oz is full length back spacer and how much is G10?

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Prettied mine up a bit with a custom Ripps clip (just couldn’t resist how well it matched) :)

There’s really not much I can add to what the others have said about this updated CQI version of the UKPK. It is clear they spent a good deal of care and attention to upgrading what was already a fantastic knife design. I do hope this means we’ll see more of these as exclusives from other dealers in the US (perhaps a sprint even from Spyderco), since it would be a shame to have another long lull in seeing another one. A blue G10 one would be fabulous - perhaps this could be the sprint color so as not to have any conflicts with the dealer already staking claim on that color.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

A couple comparisons pics with the DLT exclusive Manix 2. Nearly identical in color. One pic as is and the other with auto adjust filter. You can also see, though totally different sized knives the ergos of both match up quite similarly.

SjnCxvqh.jpg
jNMpjtnh.jpg
Last edited by TkoK83Spy on Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

-Rick