Perception of BD1 VS BD1N

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Perception of BD1 VS BD1N

Post by vivi »

It seems a lot of folks have basically written off BD1 as a low end budget steel worth avoiding, a downgrade from even lowly VG10, and maybe not even a noticeable step up from 8Cr.

It seems a lot of fooks are very interested in BD1N, and are even asking for it to be used in various high end models. I see a lot of hype and enthusiasm for it here, yet curiously not many folks have purchased a BD1N UKPK to try it out.

I'm curious about the dramatic difference in perception these two steels receive?

Personally, I love BD1, and I actively seek out knives using that steel. I feel like the only one?

For me it has shown itself to compare favorably to VG10, 440C, 12C27 8Cr, AUS8, AUS10 and many other "lower end" steels.

It resists corrosion very well, even better than VG10 for me. It is tough for a stainless (I've accidentally chopped into rocks with a BD1 Voyager XL with little damage, and I've chopped lots of wood with zero damage). It sharpens VERY fast, yet holds an edge deceptively long for how easy it grinds.

But, for me, the defining feature of BD1 is that it takes a sharper edge than I've managed with any other steel I've tried. My Ronin 2 and Voyagers take absolutely amazing edges. It is an absolute joy to sharpen BD1, grinding so easily and taking such clean, crisp edges with ease.

I'm very excited for BD1N and comparing it to BD1, but I'm honestly perplexed at the hype the Nitrogen version receives compared to the silence surrounding BD1.
:unicorn
p_atrick

Re: Perception of BD1 VS BD1N

Post by p_atrick »

For me, at least, I am excited to see if BD1N will go up to 63 to up the wear resistance. This isn't the first time you've sung the praises of BD1. Perhaps I need to pick up a knife with that steel.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I also believe BD1 is a very good steel. My Manix 2 LW is in BD1 and is one of my favorite knives/steels I own. It's my primary non SE camping folder. Mainly because it's cheaper, stout, can take a beating and as you said...VERY easy to get back to screaming sharp after weekend out in the woods.

I can't wait to compare the Para 3 LW to this knife and see the difference between the 2 steels. Honestly, I'm not expecting it to be THAT much better. There will certainly be a difference, but I don't think it will be night and day like some seem to think.

I look it at like the way S30V and S35VN are compared or not compared, depending who you talk to I guess.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

When BD1N was first mentioned on the forum I feel like it was advertised as potentially much "better" than BD1. A little seed planted here and there in the internet can create perception like we've seen here.

If I remember correctly, it was said that the composition made a higher working hardness was possible, which can also add to this kind of excitement.

Regardless, it might hold an edge longer than BD1, making it a seemingly favorable upgrade for most.
Gurney Halleck

Post by Gurney Halleck »

I have a Alcyone in BD1, it might be my favorite knife. Perfect egos and a steel that sharpens easy and holds an edge fairly well.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

The BD1 is just to soft too stand out.

BD1N is the answer to everything you like about BD1.
It doesn't roll over at the edge as much and is more wear resistant without much consequence.

The BD1* is nice. It takes a better edge then 8cr13mov and AUS8. BD1* seems to take a better fine edge but it just lacks the strength to be truly impressive. I feel that BD1* also lacks aggression compared to other steels due to carbide size and volume. This is a disadvantage with coarser edges compared to 8cr13mov and others which is why we see lower edge retention with rope slicing and CATRA testing with BD1 so it's the combination of under 60hrc and low carbide volume and size that seals it's fate compared to other steels on the market while this can be synergized for better performance with extreme geometry or a higher hardness Heat treatment, those are not options for a production knife.

Seems the lack of matrix strength, finer carbides and low volume carbide doesn't synergize well with slicing edge retention with BD1*

So BD1N is the answer, it fixes the lower hardness issues and lower carbide volume but is still going provide the fine carbide benefits of the BD1 without much detriment.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Perception only ...

BD1N a slight step better with the edge retention ... not a super steel in any way shape or form ... in the mix with vg10, s30v, cpm154 ... whereas BD1 in the mix with aus8 and 440. Then, throw in all the wonderfulness you mention in your OP to stand apart from the vg10, s30v, cpm154 ... so just doing all around well balanced general steel better than the other all around well balanced general steel, particularly with edge performance and tall bevels without trade off of corrosion resistance.

So, perceiving this as the "top gun" of all around well balanced general steels. To be determined...

CG

P.S. Just sold some vg10, 420hc, and s90v ... couldn't wait any longer for the para 3 lightweight; placed an order for BD1N (kitchen cutlery).
So many knives - so little funds!!!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Gurney,

Welcome to our forum.

Glad you like the Alcyone. I'm certainly biased, but I think it's one of my better designs.

sal
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'd love to get my hands on a duplicate set in BD1 and BD1N. Does anyone have identical knives they can compare? I guess that would be UKPK in each steel?

If the Manix 2 LW goes to BD1N I'll pick one up to do a fair comparison. I have spent lots of time with the BD1 version of that knife.

Maybe it's just my basis for comparison, but my BD1N kitchen knife didn't really wow me.
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

i also like bd1 steel that is why i like and would want a few in bd1n
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

TomAiello wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:05 pm
I'd love to get my hands on a duplicate set in BD1 and BD1N. Does anyone have identical knives they can compare? I guess that would be UKPK in each steel?

If the Manix 2 LW goes to BD1N I'll pick one up to do a fair comparison. I have spent lots of time with the BD1 version of that knife.

Maybe it's just my basis for comparison, but my BD1N kitchen knife didn't really wow me.
That means you gotta lower the edge angle. Slap a 10-12dps on that baby.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I happen to like BD1 for what it is. It is better than 8Cr, AUS8, and 440C. It is easy to sharpen and holds a decent edge. I use medium stones and it bites okay. I prefer this steel to S90V and S110V for normal use. As for BD1N, I am waiting to try it out. I hear outrageous claims and I hear people saying it is not that great. I think it should be in the CPM154 range of performance with good corrosion resistance....at least that is what I am hoping. There is nothing at all wrong with the performance of VG-10 class steels like 154CM/CPM154, ATS-34, and their ilk, all of which I have a lot of experience with. In fact, there is a lot to be said in their favor.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
vivi

Post by vivi »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:07 am
I happen to like BD1 for what it is. It is better than 8Cr, AUS8, and 440C. It is easy to sharpen and holds a decent edge. I use medium stones and it bites okay. I prefer this steel to S90V and S110V for normal use. As for BD1N, I am waiting to try it out. I hear outrageous claims and I hear people saying it is not that great. I think it should be in the CPM154 range of performance with good corrosion resistance....at least that is what I am hoping. There is nothing at all wrong with the performance of VG-10 class steels like 154CM/CPM154, ATS-34, and their ilk, all of which I have a lot of experience with. In fact, there is a lot to be said in their favor.
That's what I'm thinking.

Right now I have three BD1 knives in my rotation. Large Voyager with a medium edge finish, XL Voyager with a coarse DMT finish, and my Ronin 2 which I took up to a fine finish then stropped. There's not many knives I take past medium these days, but I like how my Ronin takes and holds a polished edge. The lower polish on the Voyagers helps them retain their bite longer, as those are beaters for me more than anything.
:unicorn