Fixed Blade Friday!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cycleguy

Re: Fixed Blade Friday!

Post by cycleguy »

Picked up a Sprig today!!! Something about it disappearing from retail shelves and being discontinued by Spyderco made me have to have it. It's unlike my usual fixed blades which tend to be drop point hunters. Won't get to carry it today as I am going to wrap it and gift it to myself in a couple of weeks. Happy Birthday to ME!

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

No Kumo love in here?

(With bonus moose)

"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Reject wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:20 am
YES, I'm digging those blades very very much. Especially the one in the center.

What are those? I may have to work to get one used but it looks like it might be worth it.

Why isn't Spyderco making those right now? Ughhhhh....
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
PStone

Post by PStone »

Happy FBF! Received my Junction this morning. First day out and we harvested about 50 morels. :D
Reject

Post by Reject »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:29 pm
No Kumo love in here?

(With bonus moose)

:D Yes much Kumo love, :( but mooseless.

Naperville wrote:
Reject wrote:
YES, I'm digging those blades very very much. Especially the one in the center.

What are those? I may have to work to get one used but it looks like it might be worth it.

Why isn't Spyderco making those right now? Ughhhhh....
They are the FB03 Lum Tanto. The link below will take you the Spyderco site.
It only shows the latest model, but the story of the knife is there.
The older models may be a little hard to find.

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... Green-/898
Last edited by Reject on Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
How much can a Koala bear?
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Thank you!!!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Reject wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:22 am
Thank you so much Reject for putting those up there. I had almost forgotten that you are also a huge fan of Spyderco's original masterpiece work of the TEMPERANCE 1 model :cool: To this day I use both my PE & SE TEMP 1 models almost on a weekly basis. For years I've wanted to see the return of the TEMP 1 ( in SE & PE both) in either one of the nitrogen based steels or one of the super exotic steels like S3V or S10V.

The TEMP 1 is most certainly in my own "Spyderco Hall of Fame" :cool: Even to this day when I go fishing or hunting I always take both my TEMP 1 models along with 2 of my CATCHERMAN models. Life just doesn't get any better :cool:
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

This thread inspired to me to IWB carry my waterway all of Friday! Even in shorts and the hot AZ weather, it was a pretty easy carry. I dig Fixed Blade Friday
Reject

Post by Reject »

MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Reject wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 12:25 am
:D ......now do tell...... :D
Reject

Post by Reject »

MacLaren wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 11:38 am

:D ......now do tell...... :D
From the Spyderco web site.

SPYDERCO MADDOX
FB10
Discontinued
$26.09 MSRP

DESCRIPTION TECHNICAL SPECS
Overall Length6.313" (160mm)Blade Length1.875" (48mm)Steel440CClosed LengthN/A Edge Length2.375" (60mm)Weight4oz (112g)Blade Thickness.093" (2.5mm)HandleClip PositionTip Carry Position Lock Type GrindSheath OriginUnited States

Imagine being physically limited using your arms. How completing normal everyday chores like cutting food, opening boxes, removing a price-tag from new clothes becomes a challenge. Knifemaker Joe Maddox designed the FB10 to aid a friend who had badly broken an arm and was facing several months with the use of just one hand. The knife allowed him to cut, prepare and eat his own meals. The Maddox is a highly specialized fixed-blade, intelligently designed to provide cutting options and independence to those with limited physical movement.

The curved blade puts forward two inches of PlainEdged hollow-ground 440C stainless steel. Flares on both sides of the blade form two sharp points for spearing food. Its blade is a full tang piece of steel that's paneled with wine-colored epoxy laminate handle slabs. Two expanded flares, just above the blade, keep the hand from sliding up onto the blade itself while you're cutting. On the butt-end of the handle your thumb sits in a flattened pommel precisely controlling the cutting edge while chopping and dicing. Because force is applied from above and on top of the cutting edge, downward chopping and slicing (even round fruits) can be achieved one-handedly without foods rolling away from the cutting edge or chasing the steak around the plate. Snaps one-handed in/out of a Boltron sheath that also operates one-handedly. Discontinued Product - No Longer Available
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Thanx Reject:)
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

-Turbo
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

That Maddox looks like something from the Spanish inquisition...pit and the pendulum stuff.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Reject wrote:
I never ever liked Tanto style blades until I got ahold of a couple of Spyderco's Bob Lum Tantos. I even carry my C-46 Tanto folder on occasion.

But the contour of Lum's tanto design makes it a much better cutter than most other tanto blades.
Reject

Post by Reject »

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MacLaren wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:13 am
Reject wrote:
Man, I like those!
I never ever really liked "tanto" blade designs until I got my first Spyderco Bob Lum design. I got the C-46 Tanto Folder and the fixed blade LUM you see in the picture at the same time. You see that Bob Lum's tanto design is more streamlined to where you can actually work with it. I even EDC my Lum C-46 Tanto Folder on occasions and it's a great all purpose pocketknife.

But that fixed blade LUM is probably only second to my beloved TEMPERANCE 1 model. Which I still think is the very best fixed blade Sal & Co. ever came up with.
Reject

Post by Reject »

legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Reject wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 2:04 am
oh my, I'm gonna have to do some digging and try to pick one of those up! Mind sharing the details?
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Reject

Post by Reject »

SPYDERCO SPOT BLACK BLADE
FB08BB
Discontinued
$40.03 MSRP
Overall Length 4.812" (122mm)
Blade Length 1.625" (41mm)
Steel AUS-6
Closed Length N/A
Edge Length 1.375" (35mm)
Weight 1.3oz (37g)
Blade Thickness .125" (3mm)
Handle Stainless Steel

Origin Japan

Spot is Spyderco's inaugural offering to the neck knife market. Designed by Sal Glesser, its shape and size are inspired by the French knife designer Fred Perrin. The Spot is a striking accessory. A palm-sized all-steel fixed-blade with a skeletally cut-out handle, it can be categorized as a dynamically functional unisex tool for men and women alike.
Unique to the model is the index finger hole, a Perrin feature. Placing the index finger through the hole and gripping the angled handle situates the thumb atop the black coated blade's spine for precise cutting control. Curved into a reverse S-shape, the blade slices like a demon and is ground to an incisor-like tip for craft projects and other meticulous cutting jobs. Graduating-sized holes are dremmeled out of the blade lessening overall weight and adding to its 'spotty' appearance. The FB08 Spot is made entirely of AUS-6 stainless steel. Since it's made of a solid piece of stainless steel, the Spot has no moving parts to catch, break, or wear-out over time. Combined with a lightweight Boltaron neck sheath, the sheath/knife combination carry discreetly and confidently flat under clothing or workout gear hanging by a 30-inch ball chain covered in 20 lb. breakaway black paracord.
Discontinued Product - No Longer Available

The Spot was predecessor to the FB14 Swick.