Hawkbill serrated blade + LC200N: Yay or nay?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mzen

Hawkbill serrated blade + LC200N: Yay or nay?

Post by Mzen »

I have been wondering lately about how much of an improvement it would be compared to your tried and true H1, particularly on a serrated Hawkbill style blade.

So we are probably looking at improved edge retention, but maybe a bit less toughness and slightly more difficult to sharpen. I don't have any experience with LC200N, but from what I've seen, H1 gets scratches on just by looking at it the wrong way, how prone to scratches is LC200N in comparison?

I have recently bought myself a serrated Byrd Hawkbill (amazing knife for the price by the way) just to try it out at work and I'm delighted with this blade shape, but the finishing on that backspacer... Let's just say that I'm a bit spoiled by my FRN Native 5 :p. So I'm thinking that a LC200N Tasman would be a perfect match for me when I decide to upgrade in the future.

Hawkbill fans, what do you reckon?
curlyhairedboy

Re: Hawkbill serrated blade + LC200N: Yay or nay?

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'm actually curious as well as to the opinions here. H1's toughness means you're less likely to break off serrations under crazy use, but I've heard lc200n is pretty tough as well....
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I'm curious if it would actually dethrone H1 the current SE champ. I'd probably buy a spyderhawk in LC200N. Its seems to function better than H1 in Plain edge but that doesn't always carry over to SE. I think we need a spyderhawk shoot out.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I’m certainly curious about how SE LC200N compares to the awesomeness of SE H1.

But I can’t see a compelling reason to ditch the latter for the former, if getting rid of the hollow-ground is the only goal.

Especially in hawkbills.

A hawkbill’s hook amply overcomes the hollow-ground’s tendency to bind on deeper cuts. It may, in fact, feed on this tendency...

I can’t imagine gardening anymore without my SE Spyderhawk, SE Tasman, and SE Ladybug Hawkbill Salts.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Absolutely yay!!! Thumbs Up!! Im just really anxious to try LC200N blade steel in all types of Spyderco's great models. I would love to see a Dodo model in SE & PE with LC200N. Or any of the Reverse S blade models in that great blade steel as well.

A G-10 Harpy with an LC200N SE blade would truly be a "Dream Come True" for me personally and I bet I'm not alone on that one.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I wouldn't say no. For me the appeal of LC200N over H1 would be for PE options. But FFG SE LC200N does have it's appeal.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Yay, it is an excellent steel for serrations easy to sharpen and FFG. If Spyderco ever FFG’s H1 then that would be a different story but I see Spyderco moving away From H1 as they keep introducing new Nitrogen steels.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd buy another Spyderhawk if it were LC/FFG. It would really be a vine killer.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David