Pm2 vs Manix 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cbrstar

Pm2 vs Manix 2

Post by cbrstar »

An awesome thing happened the other day! I went to browse my local knife store and I ended up helping a great teenager to buy his first Spyderco...A Manix 2

I could tell when I walked in, the Manager looked stressed as if she had been trying to help him decide for a long time but was hitting a wall. She looked over excited and said "He knows a lot about Spydercos! You should ask him" I've bought quite a few spyderco's from that store, which hardly makes me an expert but who doesn't love sharing their opinions?
The kid reluctantly asked "Which one is better the Manix 2 or the PM2" ...Well I kinda drew a blank because they are both awesome knives, but the size and the fact they are both flat grinds on these particular examples makes them seem similar. "Well you have to decide which lock system you like better, the ball lock is a tiny bit stronger (At least according to the pseudo science test on blade hq lol) but the compression lock is till super strong to and easy to use." I responded. I further explained how the Pm2 is a bit lighter, but that wasn't a selling point as the kid said "I do a lot of farm work and prefer a heavier more sturdy knife" I was about to try to explain the PM2 is just as strong when I realized the problem here is the prices...

The store I go to is often high but they price match... The Pm2 was $230 cdn, and the Manix was $180. I explained to the kid that the store price matches and I've seen the PM2 for $180. But then I checked my phone and found a rival shop had the Manix 2 on sale for only $135 CDN!!!! I got the manager to match the price, and the kid was so happy he was almost in tears! :cool: In fact the price was so good I bought one to despite already owning the XL version.

After owning this a few days I can't help but wonder why the Manix just isn't as popular as the PM2 despite checking off a lot of the same boxes. And I thought I would try to compare them on here.

The ergonomics of both knives are fantastic. But somehow I feel a slightly different vibe with the Manix 2. The best way I can describe it is the Manix appeals to my inner mall ninja, and IMHO feels slightly more like a fighting knife.

But IMHO I feel like this is the weak point of the knife...There is WAY to much jimping on the Manix 2! It makes the knife feel cheap and rough as it's not even nice feeling jimping. I believe this is why the PM2 seems to be more popular as the smooth round edges makes the Pm2 feel much more refined and comfortable.

Here's the another big difference between the Manix and Paramilitary line. If you think the Pm2 is a little large for you well you have the option of getting the smaller and more compact Pm3. Where as if you think the Manix 2 is too big, well you haven't tried it's "bigger" brother the XL which is bigger in the worst way...

...Yeah it's really fat. To the point if you put it in your front pocket you will have a tough time squeezing your hand in there.

Here's the Manix 2 against the XL

Isn't it weird how the top of the handles are different and the XL has an extra pin?

Here is the Profile of the Manix against the PM2. You can see the Manix is a little wider

TL;DR
I would like to hear about your guys opinions and experiences on both knives. And why you may have chose one over the other
ladybug93

Re: Pm2 vs Manix 2

Post by ladybug93 »

i prefer the manix by far. i like the blade shape better. i like how it sits in the pocket better (it’s wider overall, but narrower at the clip, where it counts for pocket access). i like the palm swell better because it fills my hand just a little more. the handle is more comfortable in both grips. the cbbl is great.

to be fair, i also like the compression lock, but i went with the yojimbo to fill that void. the pm2 just doesn’t do it for me. it’s a great knife, but i prefer the manix.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I prefer the PM 2, main reason is the little bit more actual edge it gives you.

Though I get what ladybug 93 stated above concerning pocket accesability, for me it's more important that the PM2 takes away less pocket space overall.
The PM2 handle is even "more perfect" for my hand than the Manix's, and my hand is closer to the edge in a regular grip on the PM2 (I think... don't have a Manix any more to compare it to the PM2).

I also like the looks of the PM2 better.

Things I prefer on the Manix: Stouter, but still very precise tip, and I like the bbl sligthly over the comp lock.

But, as said, all in all for me the PM2 wins... ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

I prefer the "XL" versions of each (to me they're normal size, and the Manix 2 / PM2) are small. Manix XL or Millie for me.

I agree the Manix 2 series has seriously excessive jimping. I hate it. Always have, always will. With how secure the handle shape is, especially on the XL with the generous pinky hook, I think it was a dumb call. Though I have noticed the jimping feels less sharp on the DLC version.

I think the width in pocket of the Manix XL is one of the most overblown complaints there is about the model. Here's how to fix that problem in two seconds: clip it IWB. I will never understand folks that refuse to try clipping a knife IWB between 2-4 o clock (reverse for lefty). It's much more comfortable than carrying in a front pocket, especially in shorts, and it keeps your pocket free for other things. It also eliminates the need for everyones deep carry aftermarket clip fetish, because no one is going to notice it anyways.

The Manix XL works great for IWB carry because a good portion of handle is still accessible.

One thing that helps with retrieving your knife regardless of where you carry it.....I see a lot of folks pinch the butt end of their knife with their index finger and thumb to pull it out. This forces you to reposition your grip quite a bit when you carry tip up.

Instead, slide your thumb as far down into your pocket / waist band as you can, then pull the knife out. Drawing your knife this way, you don't have to reposition your grip at all generally. When I draw my Pacific Salt, for example, my index finger rests below the pocket clip, next to the opening hole, and my middle finger rests in the depression on the clip. This is useful to know when you work a job where you're constantly cutting things.
:unicorn
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

If you can find the back lock version of the M2 that was recently discontinued, it is superior to the standard Manix 2 and the PM2 in every way.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Reggy

Post by Reggy »

Btw,your pictures are very nice :D
ferider

Post by ferider »

If I only kept one Spyderco, it would be the Manix 2 in CPM Cru-Wear.

Fortunately I don't have to make that call, so I have copies of all 3 knives and they fulfill different purposes: M2 for much of my EDC, MXL for camping and house+yard, and PM2 for fiddling. :)

OP: you should try an M2 with sceletonized liners. Feels quite different from the heavier standard one.

Roland.
anycal

Post by anycal »

For me, the PM2,

- More neutral handle - PM2 works better for my hands in different grips; better ergonomics. The one grip where the Manix excels is the reverse grip. But I hardly ever use a knife in this way.

- Lock type - easier to disengage the lock one handed on the PM2. This is very important to me, because more often than not, the other hand is doing something else. I have to pay more attention to the Manix, as I need to get it to the right spot in my palm, and make sure it doesn't slip. Otherwise, I like both locks, and don't feel one is superior to the other in strength.

- Smaller footprint, lighter - not that big of a deal, but the PM2 is both slimmer and lighter. The PM2 just carries better, whether FRP or IWB.

- Looks - probably the least important comparison item, but yeah, the PM2 is a better looking knife in my eyes. Mrs sitting here next to me agrees...

Peter
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

There are two kinds of people in the world. Manix 2 people and PM 2 people. I'm a Manix 2 person. :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm firmly in the Manix 2 camp. The ergonomics are better for me and I prefer the blade shape. I'd also take a Sliverax over either one.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I flip flop between the 2 of these knives ALL THE TIME. I was on the PM2 train again for a while, until receiving my DLT exclusive Manix 2 in 20CV...back on the Manix 2 bandwagon again for now. Actually carrying it today.

Both are so similar in blade/handle length, then everything else from there is different, which is great for the average person in determining what they want...unlike us, who have to have to everything :D

I've always LOVED the ergos of the Manix 2, most comfortable knife in hand that I own. I'm 50/50 on the locks, I like both equally. I definitely prefer the blade shape of the PM2 though.

Give me a PM2 blade in a Manix 2 handle and I would be in knife heaven!!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

anycal wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:21 am
- Lock type - easier to disengage the lock one handed on the PM2. This is very important to me, because more often than not, the other hand is doing something else. I have to pay more attention to the Manix, as I need to get it to the right spot in my palm, and make sure it doesn't slip. Otherwise, I like both locks, and don't feel one is superior to the other in strength.
The CBBL is definitely the easiest for me to disengage. I wonder if it has to do with personal comfort/experience with the lock? Or just hand size/shape?

The CBBL also has the advantage of being fully ambidextrous, although I think that's overplayed--the comp lock works with either hand, you just have to adjust your technique.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:31 am

I am with you on this one.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:31 am

That's fairly easy to mod, at least if you only want a straight spine.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
cbrstar

Post by cbrstar »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:32 am
If you can find the back lock version of the M2 that was recently discontinued, it is superior to the standard Manix 2 and the PM2 in every way.
Sadly I could have bought one the other day but it was half serrated so I hesitated and boom it was gone. I got to handle it though and its an extremely solid feeling knife. I really liked the unique jimping on the blade.
ferider

Post by ferider »

TomAiello wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:32 am
The CBBL also has the advantage of being fully ambidextrous, although I think that's overplayed--the comp lock works with either hand, you just have to adjust your technique.
One more thing I like about the CBBL is that it's easy to adjust, and that it double functions as a detent, pulling the knife shut. No fiddling with lock pin screws, it's easy to configure a Manix 2 (and XL) to close super smoothly and stay shut, without bouncing (I hate bouncing blades).
vivi

Post by vivi »

ferider wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:43 am
TomAiello wrote:
One more thing I like about the CBBL is that it's easy to adjust, and that it double functions as a detent, pulling the knife shut. No fiddling with lock pin screws, it's easy to configure a Manix 2 (and XL) to close super smoothly and stay shut, without bouncing (I hate bouncing blades).
Overlooked point. Good call. That's why I'm willing to carry CBBL knives and not just backlocks. I don't trust locks that rely on a little detent ball to stay shut. IMO the CBBL makes for a safer EDC for this reason.
vivi

Post by vivi »

TomAiello wrote:
anycal wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:21 am
The CBBL is definitely the easiest for me to disengage. I wonder if it has to do with personal comfort/experience with the lock? Or just hand size/shape?

It definitely varies person to person. I've always unlocked them like I show in my signature, but a lot of members here have replied that method doesn't work well for them.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Vivi wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:35 am
try clipping a knife IWB
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
vivi

Post by vivi »

^ This guy gets it ;)