Pm2 vs Manix 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bloke

Re: Pm2 vs Manix 2

Post by Bloke »

Vivi wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:11 pm
^ This guy gets it ;)
Ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha! :p
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

I’m a Manix 2 person. At least today. I do carry my Manixes more than my PM2’s and I like the lock and the blade shape better on the Manix. I like both of these more than most of the rest of the knives on the market.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

PM2 versus Manix2?

Seriously?

Why limit yourself needlessly?
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I like, own and carry both. I was carrying a manix 2 XL today. I should say that I like all 3 versions of the Manix 2- standard G10, lightweight, and XL. All of them, including my PM2s, are in my carry rotation. I actually consider the Manix 2 lightweights and the PM2s better for EDC and the Manix 2 G10 versions better for work knives.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Bloke, you are so weirdly interesting. Our daughter is working on a cat out of Arleigh Beach. Maybe we will get to visit some day. First pint is on me.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
cbrstar

Post by cbrstar »

Bloke wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:02 pm
Vivi wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:35 am
try clipping a knife IWB
Or you can just put it in your back pocket. At least that's what I do.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Bloke wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:02 pm
Vivi wrote:
try clipping a knife IWB
Aiyoh!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I have never been able to decisively prefer one or the other. And who needs to? They are both superb knives, and I enjoy them both. I have been carrying my "blood red" Manix 2 with 20CV all week for some reason -- but I'll be back to carrying a PM2 before long. There is nothing I don't like about either and it is really impossible to go wrong if you choose one instead of the other. The Manix always seems like a more burly knife, and I like all the rounded liner jimping (gimpy liner?). The symmetric blade shape also appeals to me. And it just fits in my hand like it was custom made for me. The PM2 is always a joy to carry and use -- it is probably my reference knife among Spydercos, and I find it more fun to manipulate the compression lock than any other if I am in a mood to just fiddle with a knife.

Doc Dan is right, the now discontinued backlock Manix is a gem. If you discover you are a Manix person, you would be well served to track one down. When it first came out, I thought "no, wait, why -- not a backlock Manix, what are they doing?" But I am sure glad now that I have one. Sadly most folks thought like I first did I guess.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

MichaelScott wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:26 pm
Maybe we will get to visit some day. First pint is on me.
That would be awesome Michael! :)

I’d love to sit and shoot the breeze over a pint or two but you wouldn’t be putting a hand in your pocket on my turf. ;)
cbrstar wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:53 pm
Or you can just put it in your back pocket. At least that's what I do.
Hey star, I carry my Millies in my back pocket too. :o
Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:22 am
Aiyoh!
Hey Doc, you speak Chinese! :cool:

Now, I understand you expressing annoyance and or pain but I refuse to believe you’re surprised. Ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha! :rolleyes:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
I think the width in pocket of the Manix XL is one of the most overblown complaints there is about the model. Here's how to fix that problem in two seconds: clip it IWB. I will never understand folks that refuse to try clipping a knife IWB between 2-4 o clock (reverse for lefty). It's much more comfortable than carrying in a front pocket, especially in shorts, and it keeps your pocket free for other things. It also eliminates the need for everyones deep carry aftermarket clip fetish, because no one is going to notice it anyways.

The Manix XL works great for IWB carry because a good portion of handle is still accessible.
Concerning IWB I feel differently, I have to say.

For me carrying the knife in the front pocket is a bit more comfortable, and a lot more practical. At least, if it´s not too long (probably the main reason why I almost never carry my Mili).

Actually after your post yesterday I tried to carry my Endura IWB the entire day again, and did not like it. Main problem is, that the knife for me is awkard both to retrieve and to put back again. Maybe that´s due to the clothes I am wearing when working: Most times not-too-loose jeans (and I need to have a belt), and as it has been yesterday, Shirt, Fleece-Jacket, down-vest, all untucked.
In my work I walk, or ride my bike, or rarely drive by car from appointment to appointment, so most times I am wearing a hip bag with essentials around the waist, which makes for an additional hindrance when drawing the knife.

Unlike it is with the front pocket, IWB I have to lift up some layers of clothes every time I want to acces the knife. And putting it back in the waist band is a lot more awkward than in the front pocket ( which goes easy and like second nature). It´s just that the "gap" between waistband and actual waist/hip is very narrow, and due to beeing quite lean and having some muscles from various outdoor sports, there is also not much "give". So I somehow have to "wriggle" the knife in each time when I put it back. As I have seen some of your vids on youtube, I figure that you have a quite similar built as I have (just even taller). So how do you manage the IWB thing?

What´s true: In trail running shorts or really lighth pants I like IWB, cause with knife-in-pocket, there would be too much "bouncing" then.
EDIT: And of course, unlike jeans plus belt, a running short usually has an elastic waistband.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

I carry all my large folders in my rear pocket. Cadet in my coin pocket. Snubbie Scandium .357 in my right front pocket.
Rear pocket easily fits a Manix or even a 5.5" XL Recon1 ;)
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

I own multiples of each knife. I probably own more PM2s, but they are both great. If I had to choose just one it would be the MANIX 2. That knife is a tank. The ergonomics are better and it can do it all.
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:26 am
Vivi wrote:
I think the width in pocket of the Manix XL is one of the most overblown complaints there is about the model. Here's how to fix that problem in two seconds: clip it IWB. I will never understand folks that refuse to try clipping a knife IWB between 2-4 o clock (reverse for lefty). It's much more comfortable than carrying in a front pocket, especially in shorts, and it keeps your pocket free for other things. It also eliminates the need for everyones deep carry aftermarket clip fetish, because no one is going to notice it anyways.

The Manix XL works great for IWB carry because a good portion of handle is still accessible.

For me carrying the knife in the front pocket is a bit more comfortable, and a lot more practical. At least, if it´s not too long (probably the main reason why I almost never carry my Mili).

Actually after your post yesterday I tried to carry my Endura IWB the entire day again, and did not like it. Main problem is, that the knife for me is awkard both to retrieve and to put back again. Maybe that´s due to the clothes I am wearing when working: Most times not-too-loose jeans (and I need to have a belt), and as it has been yesterday, Shirt, Fleece-Jacket, down-vest, all untucked.
In my work I walk, or ride my bike, or rarely drive by car from appointment to appointment, so most times I am wearing a hip bag with essentials around the waist, which makes for an additional hindrance when drawing the knife.

Unlike it is with the front pocket, IWB I have to lift up some layers of clothes every time I want to acces the knife. And putting it back in the waist band is a lot more awkward than in the front pocket ( which goes easy and like second nature). It´s just that the "gap" between waistband and actual waist/hip is very narrow, and due to beeing quite lean and having some muscles from various outdoor sports, there is also not much "give". So I somehow have to "wriggle" the knife in each time when I put it back. As I have seen some of your vids on youtube, I figure that you have a quite similar built as I have (just even taller). So how do you manage the IWB thing?

What´s true: In trail running shorts or really lighth pants I like IWB, cause with knife-in-pocket, there would be too much "bouncing" then.
EDIT: And of course, unlike jeans plus belt, a running short usually has an elastic waistband.
I carry a Manix 2 light weight in my shorts waistband. It rides better than the Endura, is still very light, and it is large enough for serious work.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

Best of Both Worlds: Caribbean Leaf Blade
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:26 am
Vivi wrote:

For me the trick to putting the knife back IWB easily with one hand is creating tension. I do this by getting the knife in place, then pushing the handle away from my body as I'm clipping it back in. Maybe I can do a short video when I get home.
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Double post, sorry (see below)
Last edited by Wartstein on Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:34 pm

For me the trick to putting the knife back IWB easily with one hand is creating tension. I do this by getting the knife in place, then pushing the handle away from my body as I'm clipping it back in. Maybe I can do a short video when I get home.
If you find the time, I'd appreciate that!
Still, I think that when wearing several layers of untucked clothing that go well over the waistband, but leave the front pocket almost uncovered, carrying in the pocket will always have the advantage of better accessability - ?!
BigKenbo

Post by BigKenbo »

I dont know how y'all can only carry one or two knives lol! I usually have 3, and if im feeling froggy sometimes 4 with a neck knife. Longest in the right front shorter in the left (room for keys etc.) And another larger in my boot. Firearms are another matter completely. I typically have a .44 mag Smith. We have dangerous animals here. Bears, cougars, pigs, and of course the two legged variety, so i try to remain prepared. I do admire people who are able to restrain their weapon compliment though!
Native 5 S110V G10 and LW. S90V LW. Salt LC200N. Maxamet. S30V G10 and LW. Endura 4 ZDP-189. HAP40. VG10.