M4 Shaman Exclusive

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: M4 Shaman Exclusive

Post by Evil D »

ABX2011 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:15 am
I think they should have set a limit of 2 per person. They probably will for the DLC version.
I order 2
Wife orders 2
Son orders 2
Etc
Etc

I have 10 and flip them. It's just not an effective solution.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

when things are limited, aren't they generally limited to 2 per shipping address?
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
bagsnatcher

Post by bagsnatcher »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:36 am
when things are limited, aren't they generally limited to 2 per shipping address?
Correct, 2 per household.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:25 am
ABX2011 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:15 am
I think they should have set a limit of 2 per person. They probably will for the DLC version.
....It's just not an effective solution.
Well it depends on how much effort they want to put into it. If they say limit per household. They could stop duplicate orders going to the same address, or bought with the same credit card, or from the same IP address, they could make people have a BHQ account, etc... I don't think they would do any of those things though. Too much extra work. And it wouldn't stop people with lots of friends it would just make it harder for them. But if BHQ was serious about it, they could do a few things.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
bagsnatcher

Post by bagsnatcher »

All BS aside, I'd *LOVE* an M4 lil Native in jade G10.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Yes 2 per household just like DLT did with the PM2 on the same day at the same time.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Yeah, but didn't that Para2 pretty much sell out just as fast?

What if you took your batch of knives and only put 100 on your site at a time. You could take 1200 knives and put 100 on each hour on the hour from 8am through 7pm. It would be more work but it may give more folks a chance at one.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bagsnatcher

Post by bagsnatcher »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:55 am

What if you took your batch of knives and only put 100 on your site at a time. You could take 1200 knives and put 100 on each hour on the hour from 8am through 7pm. It would be more work but it may give more folks a chance at one.
It did but more people got a chance to get one.

Like I was saying earlier, I could've scooped 10 or 100 Shamans from Blade HQ (gotta get those credit card miles). Maximum from DLT was 2. That limit can be circumvented as well, have work mates order, have friends order, have family order, etc. But who wants to legitimately go through that process?
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

bagsnatcher wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:05 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:55 am

It did but more people got a chance to get one.

Like I was saying earlier, I could've scooped 10 or 100 Shamans from Blade HQ (gotta get those credit card miles). Maximum from DLT was 2. That limit can be circumvented as well, have work mates order, have friends order, have family order, etc. But who wants to legitimately go through that process?
Where there's a will, there's a way. It depends on supply and demand. If a flipper thinks they can make $100 profit per knife, why wouldn't they ask coworkers to order knives and then hand them over? People like cash.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Yeah the PM2 did sell out just as fast probably because it was priced well and may have been a smaller run.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Make things limited and they sell out in half a heart beat
Make then regular production and they sit around for months
BladeHQ

Post by BladeHQ »

Wanted to do a quick post in here and clarify a few things, as well as let you know that Blade HQ is committed to continually improving our processes, bringing you the knives you want and working to make things as fair as possible.

First off, thank you for all the support over the years. We obviously wouldn't be able to do these exclusives without the support of Spyderco putting up with our wild ideas and of course our customers.

Concerning the most recent Shaman release, we did set a cart limit, but there was a software glitch we are looking into that allowed 2 customers to order more than the limit, which was set to 3 knives per person. Hindsight is 50/50 and if we had known this would sell out in minutes, we would have adjusted that limit to 1. There were 2 cases where customers for some reason were able to get 4 pcs, and again, we are looking into how that happened. At the time we placed the order with Spyderco for this Shaman run, which was in 2017, we made what we felt was an informed decision to order the quantity we ordered, based on speculated demand and sales of the standard model.

One (plus) year later, we find out it wasn't enough! Ideally, these knives are landing in the hands of the people that really want them and we will continue to try and balance supply and demand to meet those needs, but it is not an exact science. For reference, less than 2% of the orders bought 3 or 4 knives, 11% bought 2 and the rest bought one knife.

Hopefully this clears some things up. We will continue to push and promote Spyderco, a definite employee favorite here at BHQ. We've got a lot of exciting knives planned with Spyderco that I think you will all enjoy. Hopefully we've ordered enough to go around! Thanks again!

-Jacob
Dutchman

Post by Dutchman »

I got mine today - thanks for the fast service.
This was purchased to use the way it was designed - Sal would be proud!
Last edited by Dutchman on Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't judge me by my shoes.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Very cool of BladeHQ to clarify some things regarding the shaman exclusive. Seems like they did their best to make things fair and smooth.

Maybe they’ll double the order to 1200 for the DLC version.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:01 am
What models are left? ManixXL and all the Lil' Natives. Probably not the P'Kal. What about a fixed blade? Isn't the Waterway being made in Golden? Is there any chance of a Manix Backlock? I think that would sell well. If the Shaman taught us anything here it is that the very first sprint of a new model will sell.

They could do the LW models (Native, Manix, Para 3)in M4 and I hope they do. Jade FRN (maybe even Glow in the dark "jade" green) would be sweet if they could make that happen. Or even white FRN, especially with the DLC blades would be amazing.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I am glad to see BladeHQ get on here, and my hat is off to what they have said.

I was just getting online to say some things, and I still think they are worth saying, so here goes. People have written as if BladeHQ had done something immoral or improper in this sale. I cannot see in any way where that is coming from. I know people are frustrated because they wanted one of these knives and missed out. But to argue that Blade HQ did something wrong is some kind of warped entitlement minded welfare mentality. They set a fair price (not that much over the standard production versions), put a pile of money out for a run of knives, which is taking a risk by the way. And they are entirely in their rights to sell as many as they want to whoever they want, whenever they want.

No, I am not any kind of spokesman or even great fan of theirs -- nor do I have anything against them.

Putting a limit on orders is a courtesy, and entirely optional. Doing so certainly promotes goodwill. Hearing that they intended to do so and that somehow it got screwed up places things in the best possible light. And they did as I never dreamed they would and reported the sales breakdown. I don't think anyone can in good conscience throw any mud at these boys. They are definitely going on my good guy list.

That they say in hinsight, they would do it all over again with a limit of 1 makes me even happier.

And not only that, there is a box from BHQ that just showed up in my mailbox -- with just one inside by the way! ;)
Last edited by Tucson Tom on Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
blues

Post by blues »

Well said Tom. I missed out, but there's no butt hurt on my end and I feel that BHQ has been unfairly branded as facilitating those who profit from purchasing simply for the purpose of flipping.
- Retired from the chase -
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

BladeHQ wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:30 pm
Wanted to do a quick post in here and clarify a few things, as well as let you know that Blade HQ is committed to continually improving our processes, bringing you the knives you want and working to make things as fair as possible.

First off, thank you for all the support over the years. We obviously wouldn't be able to do these exclusives without the support of Spyderco putting up with our wild ideas and of course our customers.

Concerning the most recent Shaman release, we did set a cart limit, but there was a software glitch we are looking into that allowed 2 customers to order more than the limit, which was set to 3 knives per person. Hindsight is 50/50 and if we had known this would sell out in minutes, we would have adjusted that limit to 1. There were 2 cases where customers for some reason were able to get 4 pcs, and again, we are looking into how that happened. At the time we placed the order with Spyderco for this Shaman run, which was in 2017, we made what we felt was an informed decision to order the quantity we ordered, based on speculated demand and sales of the standard model.

One (plus) year later, we find out it wasn't enough! Ideally, these knives are landing in the hands of the people that really want them and we will continue to try and balance supply and demand to meet those needs, but it is not an exact science. For reference, less than 2% of the orders bought 3 or 4 knives, 11% bought 2 and the rest bought one knife.

Hopefully this clears some things up. We will continue to push and promote Spyderco, a definite employee favorite here at BHQ. We've got a lot of exciting knives planned with Spyderco that I think you will all enjoy. Hopefully we've ordered enough to go around! Thanks again!

-Jacob
The issue is not your fault at all. No one can point the finger at you. The fact that you prefer to set a limit just gives you ethical bonus points. Good post.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
SpyderSeth

Post by SpyderSeth »

BladeHQ wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:30 pm
For reference, less than 2% of the orders bought 3 or 4 knives, 11% bought 2 and the rest bought one knife.
So, in other words, everyone had a fair shot.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Next to his little brother, the Native 5 ---

shaman.jpg