M4 Shaman Exclusive

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tucson Tom

Re: M4 Shaman Exclusive

Post by Tucson Tom »

Well, I guess I am pretty lucky to have been able to order one. I almost wish I had ordered two so I could offer one to Darby.

I didn't look, but I had assumed (wrongly) that they limited them to 2 per buyer. It is rather mud in the eye of BHQ that they don't impose a limit. It almost tempts me to become a flipper. I feel the pull of the dark side! I was even going to agitate for a limit of one per buyer. From the sellers point of view, I guess they don't care how or to who they get sold, as long as they get sold promptly. I can sort of understand that given they have to front the money to buy the whole lot -- but a limit of 2 or even 1 per buyer would go a long way towards customer goodwill. DLT does that and seems to have no trouble selling the whole batch quickly.

Whatever the case, I got the shipping notice and am looking forward to the knife and finally getting a Shaman in hand.
SpyderPhreak

Post by SpyderPhreak »

DirtMcGirt wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:32 pm
Already one on the bay for $390 :eek:
Or best offer... :rolleyes: That's just SICK! :mad: :( That guy should be tarred and feathered. :eek:
"Engineers don't idle well."

Thank you to our Veterans!
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

elduderino04 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:10 pm
Does anyone know if BladeHQ ever does second runs of their exclusives (aside from the coated versions)? I'm not in love with the jade G10, but do love me some M4.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but AFAIK BHQ has never done a rerun of any of there jade exclusives..in fact most of email notices I get from then regarding the exclusives point out that its a one time one and done deal..no more will be made.

They have brought out the same models in a DLC coated version later. The Para 2, Millie, Manix and Native were given the DLC treatment. As fast as this one sold it wouldn't surprise me to see this one done the same way.
timlara

Post by timlara »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:13 pm
...From the sellers point of view, I guess they don't care how or to who they get sold, as long as they get sold promptly. I can sort of understand that given they have to front the money to buy the whole lot -- but a limit of 2 or even 1 per buyer would go a long way towards customer goodwill. DLT does that and seems to have no trouble selling the whole batch quickly.
Yep. It's up to the dealer ultimately, but I agree that putting limits per customer is the "right" thing to do in order to give non-flippers the best chance of being able to buy one. It won't stop the flippers from getting their friends / bots / etc to make multiple purchases on their behalf, but at least I feel like it helps slow them down a little bit, so that maybe things might sell out in an hour instead of 5 minutes.

Another suggestion that I have seen various makers do who sell collectible items on Instagram/Etsy is to do multiple drops, maybe half of the drop on a weekday morning and the other half on a weekend or evening for example, so that people who are stuck at work in a meeting or something like that on the first drop can still get another chance to get in on the competition.
Tim
timlara

Post by timlara »

Philo Beddoe wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:49 pm
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but AFAIK BHQ has never done a rerun of any of there jade exclusives..in fact most of email notices I get from then regarding the exclusives point out that its a one time one and done deal..no more will be made.
I believe that is correct. I think BHQ treats their "exclusives" like Spyderco handles their sprint runs, in that they are treated as limited-edition collectible items that won't be re-run so that they don't undermine their value as a collectible.

Technically, I think Spyderco's dealer exclusives are open-ended in that the dealer can keep re-ordering as many times as they want and it just means that no other dealer can make the same variation, but I don't recall BHQ ever doing that.
Tim
swigert

Post by swigert »

Bummed about no limit.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I remember when concert tickets were having a major scalping issue, they would print your name on the ticket when you bought it, and your ID had to match the name on the ticket when you showed up to the concert. That helped a lot. Too bad there's nothing like that that can be done to stop knife flippers.

I think multiple drops and 1 per customer limits are a good place to start. Bigger batches might be an idea too. I know not every model is going to be an instant sell out, but I would have thought it was obvious this was going to be a high demand item.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

I wouldnt worry about it selling out if you missed it. I would suggest its a good thing. The faster they sell, the more dealers will want to sprint this. Dealers have to evaluate risk. Its likely the run was a minimum to test the market. Patients grasshopper...
Justin
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

timlara wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:16 pm
.... so that people who are stuck at work in a meeting or something like that on the first drop can still get another chance to get in on the competition.
You know, if you are really serious about this hobby, you just quit your job or call in sick so you can be hovering over the computer when there is something important like this going on. ;)
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:40 pm
timlara wrote:
.... so that people who are stuck at work in a meeting or something like that on the first drop can still get another chance to get in on the competition.
You know, if you are really serious about this hobby, you just quit your job or call in sick so you can be hovering over the computer when there is something important like this going on. ;)
:D create an account at bhq with your adress and payment info already entered. Keep your phone at your desk or where ever you are, at the time, hit refresh on the page, hit buy, select shipping, done. Less than a minute.

I know not everyone can keep their phone handy at work. Im all for multiple drop times.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
jacala

Post by jacala »

So.......does anybody know how many in the batch that BHQ had for sale ??
Spyderman91

Post by Spyderman91 »

jacala wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:06 am
I'd say about 5, or 6 given how quickly they sold out. I really want the Yojimbo 2 dlc so I got to be sure I'm doing absolutely nothing for those first 3 minutes.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

jacala wrote:
probably 600
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

We really do have a great group of folks around here. ;)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
kelisova

Post by kelisova »

jacala wrote:
Probably 600 I guess... I saw it somewhere on the internet, when I will find it, I will post it here
My most favourite knife - Karambit .. Hope That this one never be used for selfdefence.
jacala

Post by jacala »

Holey white man !!!!! 600 gone in 5 minutes!!!!
I'll add that to the wonders of the world.
Santa Claus must be real too !!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

SpyderPhreak wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:41 pm
DirtMcGirt wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:32 pm
Already one on the bay for $390 :eek:
Or best offer... :rolleyes: That's just SICK! :mad: :( That guy should be tarred and feathered. :eek:

I sometimes feel compelled to throw a message to these folks letting them know what I think of their outrageous prices :rolleyes:
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

BHQ should have set a limit of 2 per person. They didn't because they're greedy. But they can run their business as they see fit. It alienates customers.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Tucson Tom wrote:
timlara wrote:

Or step away from your desk for five minutes with your phone. :rolleyes:
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:56 am
Tucson Tom wrote:
timlara wrote:

Or step away from your desk for five minutes with your phone. :rolleyes:
If you have a desk job. Personally, I would rather jump off a bridge than work at a desk. ;) I spend most of my workday outside. Cell phone coverage is pretty spotty around here. :)

Thankfully a kind forum member is helping a brother out. :D
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?