M4 Shaman Exclusive

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ZrowsN1s

Re: M4 Shaman Exclusive

Post by ZrowsN1s »

ABX2011 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:10 pm
Well I finally got my hands on a Shaman today and it really is a great knife. The contoured scales set it apart.
👍 I really like the stonewash of the S30V model. It's only 'plain jane' on paper. I could tell from the first time I picked one up it was something special. Even if I score the M4 model, I have no plans to get rid of my s30v shaman.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:43 pm
semfi1345 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:51 am
Does M4 rust as easy as people say it does? I live in an extremely humid environment and work in the natural resource field so I can be outside in the woods all day during summer. Would M4 present a problem?
I have had the opposite results with my M4 Mantra, it refuses to rust or even patina. I had a Rex45 PM2 that started rusting almost instantly. I put it in my pocket, got in the car and drove to the job. Thirty minutes later when I opened it to cut some packaging at the jobsite, there was rust all over it.

M4 on the other hand, I carried daily for several(3?) months and it shows only the faintest discoloration in one spot, I can't catch it in a picture. The only maintenance I do to it is mineral oil on the blade once every two weeks or so.

I live in the mountains of N. Georgia. Hot, humid and nasty.
I'm currently in middle Georgia (~700ft elevation) visiting family, but I've been up around Clayton/Rabun Gap, often staying in places 2,500ft+ while trout fishing in the valleys by day. It's certainly humid, but not salty humid. You can absolutely sweat your Manbugs off here in the summer, but you can also see old run down cars in people's yards from the 50's and 60's that have very little rust on them. Those cars tell all. You don't see that near the coast.

M4 has been fine out here for me in the past. If I'm near the beach or out on the water, it HAS to be DLC. And even then, I'll normally opt for something stainless in that situation unless I'm really enjoying carrying that model at the time.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Pelagic wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:53 am
Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:43 pm
semfi1345 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:51 am
Does M4 rust as easy as people say it does? I live in an extremely humid environment and work in the natural resource field so I can be outside in the woods all day during summer. Would M4 present a problem?
I have had the opposite results with my M4 Mantra, it refuses to rust or even patina. I had a Rex45 PM2 that started rusting almost instantly. I put it in my pocket, got in the car and drove to the job. Thirty minutes later when I opened it to cut some packaging at the jobsite, there was rust all over it.

M4 on the other hand, I carried daily for several(3?) months and it shows only the faintest discoloration in one spot, I can't catch it in a picture. The only maintenance I do to it is mineral oil on the blade once every two weeks or so.

I live in the mountains of N. Georgia. Hot, humid and nasty.
I'm currently in middle Georgia (~700ft elevation) visiting family, but I've been up around Clayton/Rabun Gap, often staying in places 2,500ft+ while trout fishing in the valleys by day. It's certainly humid, but not salty humid. You can absolutely sweat your Manbugs off here in the summer, but you can also see old run down cars in people's yards from the 50's and 60's that have very little rust on them. Those cars tell all. You don't see that near the coast.

M4 has been fine out here for me in the past. If I'm near the beach or out on the water, it HAS to be DLC. And even then, I'll normally opt for something stainless in that situation unless I'm really enjoying carrying that model at the time.
You are 100% correct. If the question was "does M4 rust fast at the beach?", definitely.

However, the question was "does M4 rust as bad as people say(in a humid, woody area)". I am saying M4 has superior corrosion resistance over most other tool steels. In the environment that semfi and I live in, M4 will be very easy to maintain.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I love M4. One 1/2 day running a chainsaw after Hurricane Michael in North Florida and my para3 had minor pits all over the portion of the blade that’s not hidden in the blade, and major pits all over where the juice from a vine I cut had time to act. Other than that day I haven’t had any issues, and I do yardword with a Salt 2 now.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:19 pm
I’ll wait for Cruwear and micarta.

Jade G10 leaves me jaded.
I thought so at first, but have very much come to like my native and DLC PM2 with jade scales. I turned my nose up at the early satin M4 PM2 and regretted it. But everyone has different tastes. I am a big fan of M4, so that may well push me towards this one in spite of the Jade G10.

I say that after saying how I have come to like the Jade. I am just somewhat unsure about the Shaman in Jade G10. The Micarta and/or a darker handle do seem more fitting for a "rough and tough" knife like the Shaman. But ignoring all this fussing about the color, I think this will be an excellent knife. I am glad to see the first exclusive appear on the scene.

I do want to see Micarta with some steel. Either the much talked about Cruwear, or better yet K390. And we need a burnt orange Sprint with Rex 45 to go alongside the Rex 45 Sprints from last summer.

PS -- none of my M4 knives show any rust. My Gayle Bradley 2 looks like the day I bought it. But conditions around here aren't conducive to much in the way of rust -- or even patina. (Although the K390 on my Police 4 does seem to be working up a bit of color trending towards a patina.)
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

To me, this seems to be the most practicable overbuilt folder of the time, in the most popular size and type of lock.
.15"T x 3.5"L CPM-M4 FFG blade, mid/back lock, color customize(able) G10 contoured ~.5" thick handle... should be a **** of a work knife.
I could see this one used without reservation, from trimming toe nails, to industrial use, to processing game, and everything in between... for a few generations.
I'd prefer rex45, but will be hard for me to resist if they don't sell out quick.
Last edited by jpm2 on Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

I agree. I prefer Cruwear, but still love M4. I prefer gray or black or tan or brown or dark green (you get the picture) scales, but jade is fine too. I have the Yo2 and it really works to make that look less weapony, more edc utility. I also have the PM2 and it is a great worker. If I wanted an upgraded Shaman from the standard S30V, this one is an excellent option.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Spyderman91 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:01 pm
I'm really torn between this, the DLT exclusive pm2 being released on the same day, or saving money.
I am torn between the M4 Shaman and saving money, but what is this about a DLT exclusive the same day?
I am doing some searching and not finding anything. Maybe that is a blessing.
Spyderman91

Post by Spyderman91 »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:02 pm
Spyderman91 wrote:
I'm really torn between this, the DLT exclusive pm2 being released on the same day, or saving money.
I am torn between the M4 Shaman and saving money, but what is this about a DLT exclusive the same day?
Hey dude, sorry for the confusion but I was referring to this: https://www.dlttrading.com/spyderco-par ... 20cv-blade
Catamount123

Post by Catamount123 »

Nick Shabazz posted a video on YouTube of one he received directly from BladeHQ. This would indicate to me that they have them in house and ready to ship, after they are available to order on Tuesday.
I don't get people who only carry one knife :thinking ;)
silvershade255

Post by silvershade255 »

So when does the betting start for how fast they sell out?
"Seven for One"
timlara

Post by timlara »

While I personally prefer steels with better corrosion resistance, I'm very interested to see how well this sells. Hopefully it flies off the shelves like the BHQ exclusives usually do so that it will give some other dealers the confidence to do more versions.
Tim
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

Catamount123 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:59 pm
Nick Shabazz posted a video on YouTube of one he received directly from BladeHQ. This would indicate to me that they have them in house and ready to ship, after they are available to order on Tuesday.
Knife looks good!
https://youtu.be/grb8BjgXMf8

James
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Spyderman91 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:19 am
Tucson Tom wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:02 pm
Spyderman91 wrote:
Hey dude, sorry for the confusion but I was referring to this: https://www.dlttrading.com/spyderco-par ... 20cv-blade
Hey, thanks very much!!! I got one of those on the first run (and it is an excellent knife), so it will be the Shaman this Tuesday -- if I get lucky -- and if I don't decide to be fiscally responsible.
Lumpy620

Post by Lumpy620 »

Aaaand I'm in for one :D
Alchemy1

Post by Alchemy1 »

Got mine.
PStone

Post by PStone »

Got my order in! No tax either. So I upgraded shipping. Thanks BHQ and Spyderco!
Mattysc42

Post by Mattysc42 »

Got mine ordered! :D
BRING ON THE MANIX XL SPRINTS AND EXCLUSIVES! And 10v or K390ify the Golden lineup, please.

Top 5 folders I’ve owned: Serrated Caribbean Leaf, Shaman, Manix XL, ZDP-189/CF Caly 3.5, Native LW.
Top 5 steels I’ve owned: LC200N, K390, CPM S90V, M390, CPM REX45.
Top 3 steels I want more of: M390 class, A11 class (including K390), CPM REX45.
Mattysc42

Post by Mattysc42 »

Holy snaps, it’s already sold out. I’m glad I was sitting here refreshing the page for the last five minutes before they were up for orders!
Last edited by Mattysc42 on Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
BRING ON THE MANIX XL SPRINTS AND EXCLUSIVES! And 10v or K390ify the Golden lineup, please.

Top 5 folders I’ve owned: Serrated Caribbean Leaf, Shaman, Manix XL, ZDP-189/CF Caly 3.5, Native LW.
Top 5 steels I’ve owned: LC200N, K390, CPM S90V, M390, CPM REX45.
Top 3 steels I want more of: M390 class, A11 class (including K390), CPM REX45.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

sold out