Help me decide which spydie to buy next

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Johnnyblaze

Help me decide which spydie to buy next

Post by Johnnyblaze »

I need you spyderco pros to help me decide which knife is right for me.
I already own a pm2 dlc/camo and really love it.

I have relatively large hands (size 9-10) and the pm2 fits my hand perfectly.

I‘m looking for a smaller lighter knife for edc
No knife shop nearby so only option is online
Right now I‘m torn between
Native 5 lw
Chaparral lw
Or wait for para3 lw

Every opinion is appreciated
sal

Re: Help me decide which spydie to buy next

Post by sal »

Hi Johnnyblaze,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Welcome to the forum Johnny! Nice to have you here.

Of those three you mention, the only one I have is the Native, in Maxamet steel. In fact it's in my pocket right now. Great knife, with outstanding ergonomics. You certainly couldn't go wrong with that. :)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

I'm a big fan of the Sage line. It is a smaller knife (3" overall blade, about 2.6" cutting edge), but I can get my entire hand on the knife with a bit of room to spare. It is a very comfortable model. There is a Sage LW in the works, but you'll be waiting for some time (it hasn't appeared in a Reveal yet). The Sage 1 and 5 have the peel-ply CF, so I bet they are light enough for your needs. I have not tried the other models, so I can't say if the Sage is better. It works for me, and I am very happy with my purchase.
bgcameron

Post by bgcameron »

I just picked up a Native 5 LW and it is a lot of knife for it's size. I am impressed how sturdy the handle is even without liners.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

I vote for the Chaparral LW.

I wear L to XL gloves and find the ergonomics of the Chaparral LW fine. Sure a Para 2 feels better, but it's a full sized knife. The Native 5 LW and Para 2 LW are smaller, but not so much as to make a big difference in deciding to carry them over your Para 2.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Johnnyblaze wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:33 pm

Native 5 lw
Chaparral lw
Or wait for para3 lw

Welcome to the forum!

My vote goes to the Chap lw. Virtually the same edge length as the Native, in a clearly smaller (shorter and especially thinner) package.
Better slicer also. Sure the bladestock is thinner than on the Native, but the knife is easily strong enough for any EDC task.

Only possible negatives compared to the Native: The backlock is great (no bladeplay) on both, but the Chaps will be a little less thumb-friendly.
And the handle of the Native is more handfilling, which imho does not matter though concerning tasks you'd use such a small knife for.

Steel: I like CTS HXP (Chap) a little better than S30V (basic Native model), but more in theory. Don't think that in normal use you will be able to really tell a difference.

The Native sure is a very good knife, and many love it. But I personally even sold my Native to fund a Chap. Just me of course.

Para 3 lw: Obviously I never handled one ;), but I am almost sure that I'd prefer the Chap over it. But: I am a backlock-guy, therefore biased.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Halfneck wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:24 pm
I vote for the Chaparral LW.

I wear L to XL gloves and find the ergonomics of the Chaparral LW fine. Sure a Para 2 feels better, but it's a full sized knife. The Native 5 LW and Para 2 LW are smaller, but not so much as to make a big difference in deciding to carry them over your Para 2.
Same here: handsize between L and XL, the Chap has very good ergos for me taking into account that it is a small knife.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

Wait for the para 3 lw!
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Dodge wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:47 pm
Wait for the para 3 lw!
Thisx1000
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
tjsblade

Post by tjsblade »

If you want thinner blade stock, a real slicer then the Chap LW. Thicker blade stock same as your Paramilitary, then get the Para 3 LW which is expected to be out soon.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Welcome!

Can't go wrong with a para 3. Dragonfly 2 makes a great little EDC knife as well.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

For someone fairly new to the game, you sure narrowed it down to some great choices.

I'm going to say the Chaparral LW as well. Such a great little slicer. Compliments the PM2 very well. A combination I've carried myself many times.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
vivi

Post by vivi »

I've got pretty big hands. Out of your options, I'd go with the Native. I find it the most comfortable of the bunch.

Alternatively, I'd suggest looking at the Salt 2. Salt 2 is a little undersized for my hands but might fit yours well. Pacific Salt fits me perfect but that's the same size as your Para 2. Both are 100% rust proof and are lighter than your Para 2.
:unicorn
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

OP, each of the Spydies you mention has a devoted following, and for good reason.

I’d say, go with the Chap. It differs—in a good way—from the PM2 more than the other two.

But don’t be surprised if you end up with the others, eventually. This place makes the prospect almost inevitable.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Chaparral LW
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Johnnyblaze wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:33 pm

Native 5 lw
Chaparral lw
Or wait for para3 lw

Welcome aboard!

My vote goes for the Native 5 Salt. Even with large hands you can use it comfortably without the choil, the lack of a hump also gives it a nice hold and LC200N is the cat's pajamas.

The Chaparral might also work. I have not tried one yet, so I cannot speak for the ergonomics, but a thin blade is a nice feature to have.

I cannot recommend a Para 3 for someone with large hands. I have purchased multiple of them and sold them all. I can never get past the fact that I have to use the choil for it to be comfortable, especially on this large of a "small knife".
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
vivi

Post by vivi »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:49 pm
My vote goes for the Native 5 Salt. Even with large hands you can use it comfortably without the choil, the lack of a hump also gives it a nice hold and LC200N is the cat's pajamas.

I cannot recommend a Para 3 for someone with large hands. I have purchased multiple of them and sold them all. I can never get past the fact that I have to use the choil for it to be comfortable, especially on this large of a "small knife".
I thought I was the only way that felt like that about the Para 1 and Para 3.

In a tiny knife like a Dragonfly I don't mind it, but not on a knife large enough to offer a full grip with no choil. I'd rather use something with a handle shape like the Tenacious in that case.

Native Salt is a good suggestion, I should have specified that version in my post.

I think the Chap is a nice design, but I find the Caly 3 and UKPK more comfortable.
:unicorn
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

My vote is for the Native but get the Native Salt. I doubted how good the Native was before I bought it because I never held it in hand. It is extremely comfortable in hand just melts in, super light weight but heavy-duty enough you can get serious work done with it and not worry about damage. Plus if you get the salt it’s rust proof and how can you go wrong with rust proof?
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:59 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:49 pm

I thought I was the only way that felt like that about the Para 1 and Para 3.

In a tiny knife like a Dragonfly I don't mind it, but not on a knife large enough to offer a full grip with no choil. I'd rather use something with a handle shape like the Tenacious in that case.

Native Salt is a good suggestion, I should have specified that version in my post.

I think the Chap is a nice design, but I find the Caly 3 and UKPK more comfortable.
I am planing to do a dedicated thread about this anyway (choil vs no choil, recent trends concerning this topic and so on), but I am courious:

The way you describe it, it sounds like what your issue with the Para 3 is, is my issue with the Native (since I have quite large, but sure smaller hands than you have): Let me repeat, if I got it right: If the sheer length of a handle COULD offer a full four finger grip JUST on the handle itself (so without using a choil), but does not, cause a choil places the guard to far backwards and leaves only room for three fingers behind it, you don´t like it?

If it´s that what you mean, it is exactly what I don´t lke on the Native but do like on the Chap or on the opposite on a bigger knife than the Native:

Native: The dimension of the handle in length WOULD be enough to offer a four finger grip for me; due to the choil and hence the guard beeing quite backwards it does not; so I have to use the choil though the handle would offer a four finger grip given it´s length if it was designed differently (without a choil) - I don´t like that.
Chap: The handle in it´s hole length would be too short anyway to offer a good four finger grip for me, so the choil is just fine (much like in the DF, where this is even more obvious) - I like or better even NEED the choil
For example PM2: The handle offers a four finger grip BEHIND the choil, so I don´t mind the choil