Do you have a "benchmark-knife"?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I have two all- and long-time favorite Spydies, the Stretch 1 and the Endura 4.

The following may sound obvious, but it was really just very lately that I realized: Deliberately or even more so instinctivly I compare other models to those two, and between the two actually a lot more to to the Stretch 1 than to the Endura.

I just want to talk merely about the inherent principle, and take "my" main benchmark-knife, the Stretch 1, solely as an illustration.

What I mean is, pointed out in some examples:

When I get to handle or look at a (for me) new knife, I almost automatically check things like:

"Does it have at least the same amount of edge as the Stretch1 ?"
"How is the closed-length-to edge-ratio compared to the Stretch ?"
"...the weight...?"
" ...the pointiness and / or durability of the tip...?"
and so on.

Important to point out: I don´t even feel that my "benchmark-knife" (the Stretch 1) is the best for me in ALL possible criterions.

For illustration: I love the handle ergos of the Stretch, but when Zatx so kindly gifted a PM2 to me, I was pleasantly surprised, that while not in all, in some points I liked its ergos even better.
For example: In a regular, not choked up grip, for me the PM2 handle is a little wider at the point where my index finger rests. That gives me a tad more stable, solid feeling.
I also feel that when cutting, the blade is located in a slightly better angle when I am holding the handle due to the way it (the handle) is shaped (did not check if the angle of the blade REALLY differs or I just FEEL it does though).

Or, and now I´ll take the Endura as an example, it might even be that a specific feature of my "benchmark-knife" is one I don´t particullary like:
The Endura is long enough that when closed, it sometimes is just a little uncomfortable when I am wearing a bit tighter jeans and riding my bike to work (it can poke in the tigh a bit. Of course no problem really, but we are mostly knife nerds here, nitpicky searching for perfection.. ;) )
So in the capacity and comparison "closed length" I like to see knives beeing SHORTER than my "benchmark knife".

Long story short: Do YOU have "benchmark-knives" you maybe just instinctivly compare others to? Maybe you did not even REALIZE you have such and just discover it by thinking about it?

Would love to read your thoughts!
Last edited by Wartstein on Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Re: Do you have a "benchmark-knife"?

Post by Evil D »

I've got a few for different sizes and different uses.

Full size - Military/Autonomy
Mid size - Sliverax
Small size - Dragonfly Salt SE

If I wouldn't carry a knife in those size categories over those models then I most likely won't buy it unless there's something that sets them apart, like for example the Caribbean being a larger Salt model but even it has to compete with the Autonomy.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:14 am

Mid size - Sliverax

If I wouldn't carry a knife in those size categories over those models then I most likely won't buy it unless there's something that sets them apart, like for example the Caribbean being a larger Salt model but even it has to compete with the Autonomy.
Thanx for sharing!
So it seems your "benchmark-knives" are replaced from time to time by new ones, since Sliverax and Autonomy are quite "young" / recent models?
I expected for many the "benchmarks" would be models that are with them and they are familiar with for a really long period of time (like in your case presumably the DF and the Mili).

For me, the long time benchmark is the Endura. It was my second Spyderco after the Delica, and had (and still has) so many features that just for me are just right or familiar, so I somehow very often measure other models against it.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:34 am
Evil D wrote:

Mid size - Sliverax

Thanx for sharing!
So it seems your "benchmark-knives" are replaced from time to time by new ones, since Sliverax and Autonomy are quite "young" / recent models?
I expected for many the "benchmarks" would be models that are with them and they are familiar with for a really long period of time (like in your case presumably the DF and the Mili).

For me, the long time benchmark is the Endura. It was my second Spyderco after the Delica, and had (and still has) so many features that just for me are just right or familiar, so I somehow very often measure other models against it.

I've been around the brand now for about 14 years which I think is still fairly new, or at least I haven't been around since the earlier classic models were still dominant in the lineup. I guess the Military qualifies but I haven't carried one in over a year because of the Autonomy. Part of it has to do with my recent obsession for serrations, but then there is the Sliverax. It's great because of the ergonomics and how much edge it packs into a small package, that's why my mid size knife isn't a Manix 2 anymore.
~David
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Full size: Military
Mid size: Para 3
Small: Great Eastern Cutlery Pemberton
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sorry, double post: See below!
Last edited by Wartstein on Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:25 am
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:34 am
Evil D wrote:

Mid size - Sliverax

Thanx for sharing!

I've been around the brand now for about 14 years which I think is still fairly new, or at least I haven't been around since the earlier classic models were still dominant in the lineup. I guess the Military qualifies but I haven't carried one in over a year because of the Autonomy. Part of it has to do with my recent obsession for serrations, but then there is the Sliverax. It's great because of the ergonomics and how much edge it packs into a small package, that's why my mid size knife isn't a Manix 2 anymore.
14 years IS long in my view... ;)

/ I may quote you again "... Sliverax.... and how much edge it packs into a small package...": Not only once I´ve "heard" people saying things like this here.
What´s funny: Boiled down it partly means, that people want a good / or even the most possible amount of edge in relation to the blade / handle / closed length.
That´s something, I prioritized a lot in my earlier knife years, and the only thing I did not really like in Spyderco knives was the often very large finger choil, that naturally sacrifices edge length. Other than that, I liked Spyderco so much that I learned to live with it and lately even to appreciate choils. It´s somehow almost a defining feature of Spydercos design, and many were / are really fond of choils.

But lately it seems people take the opposite road I took, and come back to "simpler" designs, where your hand in a regular grip is already placed close to the edge and no choil existent, but therefore more usable edge... I won´t go so far as calling this a "paradigm shift", but, as said, I can´t help to notice it... maybe I´ll start a dedicated thread about this observation / topic...
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I tried to think of a model that I might do this with, but I just can't come up with one. I don't mind owning a knife simply because I like the design, so I guess I've never felt the need to have a "benchmark" knife.

I have favorites but I wouldn't compare a new model to them to dissuade myself from buying it or anything.

I'd consider the Lil Native an ideal EDC for me for a few reasons but, like I said, I wouldn't let that prevent me from buying a knife I like.
-Nick :bug-red
jimmd

Post by jimmd »

I think the SpydieChef is my most common benchmark these days. I have some much more expensive knives, but they need to have major advantages over the SpydieChef to stay in my collection. My less expensive knives are all smaller, which at times is an advantage.

The Kapara intrigues me, and I wonder if it might someday replace the SpydieChef as my benchmark, though I do love how that LC200N takes an edge.
Jim
BigKenbo

Post by BigKenbo »

I am embarrassed to admit i was a "traditional" knife guy and late to the spyderco party. Yeah im stubborn and not very bright i suppose! I have in the past year established two "benchmarks, and they are pocket specific, so please bear with me. My right pocket always holds one of my enduras. Usually the zdp-189. I rarely have anything other than that in that pocket so space is rarely an issue. I occasionally carry the hap40. In my left pocket its almost always a native 5. And a rotation of steels. I find the g10 in s110v the one i most commonly reach for there. Why i need two is a mystery but there you have it lol!
Native 5 S110V G10 and LW. S90V LW. Salt LC200N. Maxamet. S30V G10 and LW. Endura 4 ZDP-189. HAP40. VG10.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:04 am
I tried to think of a model that I might do this with, but I just can't come up with one. I don't mind owning a knife simply because I like the design, so I guess I've never felt the need to have a "benchmark" knife.

I have favorites but I wouldn't compare a new model to them to dissuade myself from buying it or anything.

I'd consider the Lil Native an ideal EDC for me for a few reasons but, like I said, I wouldn't let that prevent me from buying a knife I like.
Mushroom, thanks for sharing!

I guess I did not make entirely clear in my initial / original post, what exactly I mean. And the term"benchmark" does not imply that exactly either.

So WHAT I meant: A "benchmark"knife, in the sense, that it somehow often comes to your mind when you´re getting to know a new model.
Just as a comparison, not in any case or necessarely as a "gold standard" every other knife has to compete with.

I just noticed: When I handle a new knife, often times only half conciously I "think" like: "Oh, that handle feels a bit / a lot / not at all like the Enduras" or "Oh, that edge is noticeable shorter than the one on the Stretch"; and so on; in many cases I will also RATE a new knife following these thoughts, but other times it´s just a point to start from when finding out how a new knife feels. Of course also just by itself, but ALSO compared to the "benchmark knife"

So maybe for some this "benchmark knife" will not necessarely be one of those they like the most right now, but maybe one that they carried for the longest time , or they got first,or...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:48 am

But lately it seems people take the opposite road I took, and come back to "simpler" designs, where your hand in a regular grip is already placed close to the edge and no choil existent, but therefore more usable edge... I won´t go so far as calling this a "paradigm shift", but, as said, I can´t help to notice it... maybe I´ll start a dedicated thread about this observation / topic...

I look at it from a size perspective. On a small knife like the Dragonfly or Native where the grip alone is too small to get all your fingers on, a choil makes sense. On larger knives I would just assume the grip alone were designed so that my index finger is as close to the edge as possible, and then the blade is ground all the way back to the handle so the distance from finger to edge is close enough to where it would be on a choil. This to me is the best of both worlds, I can get control on detailed cuts but I don't have to change my grip to do so.

Some models seem to be designed with using the choil as the dedicated grip, like the Native or Caly 3 for example I can't imagine using one without the choil, it just feels wrong gripping behind the choil but they feel just right when using it. Models like that are ones I don't mind the choil at all.

One advantage I think of all the time in use is leverage. If you compare a knife like the Caribbean or a Lil Temp to a Manix 2 or Shaman, if you're using a full fisted grip carving into something with a lot of force, you're probably not using the choil, which means your grip is behind it, which puts your hand further away from the edge, which reduces how much leverage you have in a cut. This may not seem like a big deal but if you're doing enough cutting it can make a world of difference in hand fatigue and hot spots. I also feel that I get the benefit of better control along with the extra leverage so to me it's a win win. If the grip also doesn't have any finger grooves that may or may not fit my hand sizs then even better. One reason I love my Autonomy is because the grooves actually fit my fingers and the grip actually feels pleasant in my hand, if that makes sense. That's pretty rare for me and my sausage fingers.
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:23 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:48 am

I look at it from a size perspective. On a small knife like the Dragonfly or Native where the grip alone is too small to get all your fingers on, a choil makes sense. On larger knives I would just assume the grip alone were designed so that my index finger is as close to the edge as possible, and then the blade is ground all the way back to the handle so the distance from finger to edge is close enough to where it would be on a choil. This to me is the best of both worlds, I can get control on detailed cuts but I don't have to change my grip to do so.

Some models seem to be designed with using the choil as the dedicated grip, like the Native or Caly 3 for example I can't imagine using one without the choil, it just feels wrong gripping behind the choil but they feel just right when using it. Models like that are ones I don't mind the choil at all.

One advantage I think of all the time in use is leverage. If you compare a knife like the Caribbean or a Lil Temp to a Manix 2 or Shaman, if you're using a full fisted grip carving into something with a lot of force, you're probably not using the choil, which means your grip is behind it, which puts your hand further away from the edge, which reduces how much leverage you have in a cut. This may not seem like a big deal but if you're doing enough cutting it can make a world of difference in hand fatigue and hot spots. I also feel that I get the benefit of better control along with the extra leverage so to me it's a win win. If the grip also doesn't have any finger grooves that may or may not fit my hand sizs then even better. One reason I love my Autonomy is because the grooves actually fit my fingers and the grip actually feels pleasant in my hand, if that makes sense. That's pretty rare for me and my sausage fingers.
That´s some interesting observations! I mostly share your opinion, but on some points I feel slightly different. I won´t reply in detail now, cause as soon as I find time I plan to start a dedicated thread, since I feel there are several interesting points and trends to discuss.

So just briefly:

As of today I like choils in really small knives, like (obviously) the DF. The Chap is just small enough still. On this two knives the handle itself would be too short for my hand, regardless how it was shaped.
As soon as the handle on a rather small knife COULD offer room for a full four finger grip, but does not due to a choil, I don´t like that.
That´s one of the main reasons I don´t have a Native (but instead a Chap) anymore: If the "guard" of the Native would be placed at the very front of the handle and the edge would extend all the way to the handle, the knife would offer a) a full four finger grip on the HANDLE (without having to use a choil) plus b) it would have a longer edge
As soon as a handle itself is big enough again to offer a full four finger grip solely on the handle itself (so without having to use a choil)BEHIND the choil, I can live with a choil or even like it. Like on many Spydercos: PM2, Stretch, Shaman and so on.

Much more to say here,but for another thread!
Ric

Post by Ric »

Para 3

Is all aspects.
Weight, fit&finish, ergonomic, price, ...

Blade length wise I am used to the smaller ratio most Spydercos have.
When I first had the Sliverax in hand I thought: what a gigantic blade.

Ergonomics are more important than blade length.
Most other appealing knives are usual too heavy.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Evil D wrote:

Mid size - Sliverax

Pretty similar for me

Full size - Military and Pacific Salt
Mid - Chap LW and Native (G10 and LW)
Small - Dfly Salt

I would love a Full size Mille/Pac Salt love child. AKA a G10 Military Salt with a SE H1 blade!

Would also love a Chap LW LC200N PE Salt

these are two of my biggest grail knives...

Id take a DLC Cruwear Native LW as well to round it out. Oh, and a blacked out Dfly Salt. :P

I could be happy with these four knives and nothing else I think.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
vivi

Post by vivi »

Yep. Pacific Salt.

- Smallest Spyderco that feels full sized to me. (I'm very rarely interested in models smaller than this)
- Only 3 ounces
- Rust proof so I can EDC it 365 days a year
- Full SE or PE
- Easiest Spyderco to break down for cleaning IMO.
- Under $100

Every folder I buy gets compared to that one. Most folders have one or two things I like better about them, like the Stretch having better ergonomics for me, but they can't beat the total package the Pacific Salt offers me. For example the Stretch is heavier, has less cutting edge, isn't rust proof, no DLC offering to compensate, etc.

Fixed blades I tend to be a little more flexible on because while I have different models I like to carry for specific situations, there isn't one single model I like carrying every day of the year regardless of activity. I like an ESEE 6HM when I car camp, Aqua Salt or Street Bowie when I hike, Swick at work etc.
:unicorn
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Without question, yes. Mine are the Endura in FRN and the G10 Millie. All others are measured by these two for performance, ergonomics, durability/lifespan and ease of maintenance ( meaning ease of sharpening and getting whatever angles I select without things getting in the way as well as how much maintenance does it need to keep the pivot from loosening, etc.)

The Delica and several Native models could fit here too but I'm trying to keep the list down. The O-1 Bushcrafter is a reference standard for me too when it comes to useful fixed blades and not fantasy knives I like but never use like the Trailmaster and Western 49 and BK9/RD9. Talk about ease of sharpening and being built to work.The Bushcrafter is a thoroughbred.

My choices of steel in the two folders isn't necessary but if anyone is curious it would be HAP 40 and Cruwear ( I don't have the Rex 45 millie)

Joe
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

The Mastiff wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:49 am
Without question, yes. Mine are the Endura in FRN and the G10 Millie. All others are measured by these two for performance, ergonomics, durability/lifespan and ease of maintenance ( meaning ease of sharpening and getting whatever angles I select without things getting in the way as well as how much maintenance does it need to keep the pivot from loosening, etc.)

The Delica and several Native models could fit here too but I'm trying to keep the list down. The O-1 Bushcrafter is a reference standard for me too when it comes to useful fixed blades and not fantasy knives I like but never use like the Trailmaster and Western 49 and BK9/RD9. Talk about ease of sharpening and being built to work.The Bushcrafter is a thoroughbred.

My choices of steel in the two folders isn't necessary but if anyone is curious it would be HAP 40 and Cruwear ( I don't have the Rex 45 millie)

Joe
Great, exactly the Endura 4 in FRN and HAP 40 is one of my two "benchmark knives"... ;)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

It's funny that you would use the term "Benchmark" because a few years back there was a knife company with that name. And when I first glanced at this thread I kind of thought that was what you might be talking about.

Back around 2006 one of my Spyder Brethren sent me a color catalog of Benchmark's top line models. Some of those were real beauties for sure. I got an e-mail response from A.G. Russell back when he was still alive and he told me that there were very few knife enthusiasts that were even aware of the company. They were from either North of South Carolina from what I was told.

It is funny in a way because I've also heard the term "Benchmade" being made before and the people that said it were completely unaware of the BENCHMADE knife company.
M4Life

Post by M4Life »

Depending on what aspect of a knife I'm drawing a comparison to I would use different knives as a benchmark, for instance when I look at the pocket clip/how easy it is to deploy and stow a knife my benchmark knife is the pocket clip on my "Massdrop Perpetua" it has my favorite pocket clip of all time the smooth G10 scales make it even smoother to stow and remove it from the pocket, and yet it never slips.

Something like the action/fidgetability of a knife is a little more complicated, it really depends more on my mood and what kind of feeling I want from the action on a knife. To give an example the Sage 5 is one of my favorite fidget knives but it does not have the same free swinging feel as most of the comp lock knives I've handled it feels more like a cushion is slowing it so it doesn't bang open or closed. The PM2 on the other hand opens and closes with a lot of authority even when compared to the para 3.

So while there are a few areas where I definitely have a benchmark knife I find that for the most part it really just depends on how I feel on any given day.
Just a man with a plan and a knife in hand.

My knives: Para 3 S110V (customized), Para 3 M390, PM2 S110V, Manix 2 CPM 154/S90V, Dice, Rubicon, Vrango, Native 5 CPM 154/S90V, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug, Chaparral LW, Kizer Megatherium