Got a Sharpmaker!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
soc_monki

Got a Sharpmaker!

Post by soc_monki »

After being thoroughly impressed with my cheap Lansky turn box (I didn't think it would work honestly!) I decided i needed to upgrade to the Sharpmaker. Came in today and decided to touch up my Tenacious for practice. It was already sharp from the Lansky, but wasnt super sharp. Did exactly what Sal said to do in the video and man, it takes hair off my arm so easily! I think it still needs a little work but I am really impressed with the results after just a few minutes!

So I then decided to pull out my ZT 0566 since it is also sharp but needed a bit more to make me really happy. about 20 minutes later (took my time, did a few extra passes) and once again, hair coming right off. Paper doesn't stand a chance! So impressed with the system. I hear it doesnt work well if you have to reprofile, but ive read about the sandpaper clipped to the rods trick. I also have a Lansky guided system and a Smith's Tri-Hone so I have plenty of options for redoing a full edge.

Also had a coupon from Ebay for 15% off and ordered a Persistence, so I'll have a Resilience, Tenacious, and Persistence. I think I may need to go to Spydie's Anonymous soon... :p And where is my Para 3 Lightweight! hahaha!

I want to sharpen everything now... :spyder:
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Wartstein

Re: Got a Sharpmaker!

Post by Wartstein »

soc_monki wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:32 pm
After being thoroughly impressed with my cheap Lansky turn box (I didn't think it would work honestly!) I decided i needed to upgrade to the Sharpmaker. Came in today and decided to touch up my Tenacious for practice. It was already sharp from the Lansky, but wasnt super sharp. Did exactly what Sal said to do in the video and man, it takes hair off my arm so easily! I think it still needs a little work but I am really impressed with the results after just a few minutes!

So I then decided to pull out my ZT 0566 since it is also sharp but needed a bit more to make me really happy. about 20 minutes later (took my time, did a few extra passes) and once again, hair coming right off. Paper doesn't stand a chance! So impressed with the system. I hear it doesnt work well if you have to reprofile, but ive read about the sandpaper clipped to the rods trick. I also have a Lansky guided system and a Smith's Tri-Hone so I have plenty of options for redoing a full edge.

Also had a coupon from Ebay for 15% off and ordered a Persistence, so I'll have a Resilience, Tenacious, and Persistence. I think I may need to go to Spydie's Anonymous soon... :p And where is my Para 3 Lightweight! hahaha!

I want to sharpen everything now... :spyder:
Can't go wrong with a sharpmaker! It generally does work great, but what fascinates me the most are the results on VG10 (I am really no sharpening expert I should add for the record).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Reprofiling on the sharpmaker just takes time and elbow grease. Cbn rods help too.
soc_monki wrote:
...think I may need to go to Spydie's Anonymous soon...
You’re here, but we don’t help you recover, we help you down the rabbit hole!
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Lol the Spyders venom is just working it's way into you..... in a year or two you will have more Spyderco knives than stuff to cut.

Make sure to watch Sal's video on how to use it from back in the day https://youtu.be/5LBDnJv5B58

I just Talked a coworker into purchasing a sharp-maker. He ordered it yesterday. Sadly he decided to go with a bench-made knife a few months back ignoring my sage advice concerning Spyderco.

Today I plan to fix that!

He recently purchased a boat and I am gifting him my Spyderco Pacific Salt. No way I could let the first knife he sharpens on a Spyderco Sharpmaker be a Benchmade.
steeljustice

Post by steeljustice »

I have the Spyderco Bench Stone Ultra Fine also the Spyderco Golden Stone both quality sharping aids for my Spyderco knives, then i also have a group of Japanese water stones for many other knives.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Awesome. The sharpmaker may not seem like an exciting purchase but it’s one of the best you can make. Clean those rods occasionally and you should be fine. The cbn rods will help too.
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

I Just got the Sharpmaker to, i like how fast It is to set up for touchups. So easy to use and i Have had Great results with it, i do strop after but the Edge gets pretty good with the fine rods.
Will still use my Edge pro for serious reprofiling though.
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Who says the sharpmaker isn't an exciting purchase? I'm always excited when I have stuff coming! Lol! I did one of our kitchen knives today (cheap santoku from Sam's club) and while it's not perfect (should have spent some time on the 30 degrees and thinned the edge first) it is much sharper than it has been! I'll work on it more later.

Going to work on my Tenacious some more later too. I did only the 30 degrees setting but feel it could benefit from a bit more time on the rods, then do some 40 degrees to do the actual edge. I'll get it super sharp! If I have to ill pull out my smith's stones and completely reprofile it, but I'm going to see what the sharpmaker can do first. Stones are still breaking in so it should get better as I go.

Love the setup though. Should have got one ages ago!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Did you rub the rods together to break the surface the way Sal says to in his video? It makes a difference.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

I did in fact rub the stones together. I just didn't spend enough time on the tenacious. I just got done doing another round of 30 degree, then a round of 40 and that knife will cut you when you look at it! Sharpened some scissors for my wife as well. Worked like a charm! 😁
dodgie02

Post by dodgie02 »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:28 pm
Did you rub the rods together to break the surface the way Sal says to in his video? It makes a difference.
Unrelated but a funny thing I noticed today; Eric is growing up looking a lot like sal in the sharpmaker video. In the YouTube thumbnail I did a double check haha!

I'll leave this here for new sharpeners as well who haven't bothered checking the dvd.
I also benefitted from jdavis's videos back in the day I'll check if they are still up otherwise I can upload them myself as I ripped gigabytes of sharpening videos over the years all categorised in my digital sharpening compendium.

Spyderco official
https://youtu.be/5LBDnJv5B58

Jdavis tips 13m
https://youtu.be/z_mSNfJhW8o

Jdavis from dull to hair whittling 15m30s
https://youtu.be/-MHe_8wTHmg

Wow these accumulated views over the years.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Congrats! Something I'd recommend is a bottle of Bar Keeper Friend and some heavy duty scouring pads. When you notice bits of steel built up on the rods, give them a scrubbing until they look new, or close to it.

Another tip is use very light strokes on your finishing strokes. I tell people they should be applying such light pressure than they don't have to hold the sharpmaker still with their off hand or a clamp. Makes a huge difference!
Woodpuppy wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:48 am
Reprofiling on the sharpmaker just takes time and elbow grease. Cbn rods help too.
soc_monki wrote:
If you make USA's minimum wage, it takes less than a days wages to buy a proper diamond reprofiling stone. Reprofiling 1-2 knives on a Sharpmaker can take 8 hours depending on the steel. Food for thought ;)
:unicorn
Doeswhateveraspidercan

I remember these non Sal videos.

They did not impress me then nor now. The Sharpmaker has its place for certain as do the diamond duck foot and the golden stone. I own and use all 3.

If reprofiling to no lower than 15 Degrees nothing beats the Wicked edge Pro3.

If reprofiling below 15 Degrees or setting precise angles using Spyderco Triangle stones for Spydie edges Hapstone 7 is the device to use.

Spyderco Sharpmaker is best as a honing device pure and simple. It will never achieve reprofiling precision of the other two systems and will require far more elbow grease.

Why do that?

At the end of the day after setting primary bevel and degree of polishing, there is nothing that beats the Sharpmaker for maintaining your blade.

No perfect system. But perfect combinations of systems.

Sharpmaker saves steel and keeps sharp things sharp, very affordable, very convenient, easy to use.whT more could anyone ask?
dodgie02

Post by dodgie02 »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:31 pm
I remember these non Sal videos.

They did not impress me then nor now. The Sharpmaker has its place for certain as do the diamond duck foot and the golden stone. I own and use all 3.

If reprofiling to no lower than 15 Degrees nothing beats the Wicked edge Pro3.

If reprofiling below 15 Degrees or setting precise angles using Spyderco Triangle stones for Spydie edges Hapstone 7 is the device to use.

Spyderco Sharpmaker is best as a honing device pure and simple. It will never achieve reprofiling precision of the other two systems and will require far more elbow grease.
(...)
Sharpmaker saves steel and keeps sharp things sharp, very affordable, very convenient, easy to use.whT more could anyone ask?
I agree. I use my edge pro apex which I have become quite proficient with over the last 4 to 5 years to reprofile and get my desired edge depending on the steel. (the diamond matrix stones are superb!)
After that I can usually get away with honing the blade using fine and uf rods and maintain the forming microbevel for a long time before I feel I need to take up the bevel again.

I reprofiled a 940-1 on diamond rods. The blade was at the end of its lifespan almost so it was more an experiment. But ****, I know s90v isn't the best steel to try this with but aside from that it was just not a pleasure to do and the result was decent but looking at time invested compared to the result its obvious this is not what the sharpmaker is for.
steeljustice

Post by steeljustice »

There is just so much one can do using the little round rods at some point, you really need some good quality stones if you want to restore a really dull or damaged blade.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:10 pm
Congrats! Something I'd recommend is a bottle of Bar Keeper Friend and some heavy duty scouring pads. When you notice bits of steel built up on the rods, give them a scrubbing until they look new, or close to it.

Another tip is use very light strokes on your finishing strokes. I tell people they should be applying such light pressure than they don't have to hold the sharpmaker still with their off hand or a clamp. Makes a huge difference!
Woodpuppy wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:48 am
soc_monki wrote:
If you make USA's minimum wage, it takes less than a days wages to buy a proper diamond reprofiling stone. Reprofiling 1-2 knives on a Sharpmaker can take 8 hours depending on the steel. Food for thought ;)
OH yes, very light. Something I learned when trying to freehand, and later with the lansky. Already have the bar keepers friend, just need to pick up some scotch Brite!

And I make enough so my wife doesn't have to work and she can stay home with the kid. So I'm good! Been thinking about getting the diamond or cbn rods, and the ultra fine rods as well. Or I may just do it like I have done, if I need a reprofile I'll get out the lansky deluxe and get a decent edge with it, then finish on the sharpmaker. I was doing that with the lansky turn box as the finisher, but the sharpmaker does it even better!

Or my smith's tri-hone if I want to try it freehand! Lol