New Spyder Knife, need sharpening?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ruthless

New Spyder Knife, need sharpening?

Post by Ruthless »

So I just got the SPideychef, I think that's what its called, great balance on the knife.

So Wife and I are chefs... we love our knives and use the Ken Onion WorkSharp sharpener... Couple questions on Spyder knives...

Seems sharp, however, also seems like will dull quickly. Does it need to be sharpened on delivery?
Does anyone have experience or insight with the Ken Onion sharpening on pocket knives?

https://www.amazon.com/Work-Sharp-Knife ... pons&psc=1
BigKenbo

Re: New Spyder Knife, need sharpening?

Post by BigKenbo »

I admit i only have 6 spydercos purchased over the last year or so, but i have found them to be the sharpest "factory" edges. I touch them up on the sharpmaker and strop with a 1 micron impregnated paddle and particularly the zdp-189, s110v, and hap40 will whack straight through free hanging hair. I hope this helps you.
Native 5 S110V G10 and LW. S90V LW. Salt LC200N. Maxamet. S30V G10 and LW. Endura 4 ZDP-189. HAP40. VG10.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Some people will say that if you use a motorized sharpener, you can create enough heat to damage the steel. I haven't seen any solid information about how slow a motorized sharpener needs to go. Some professionals swear by very slow speed paper wheels, though.

I think you could find some good material on blade forums or maybe even here about how well that system works.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
vivi

Post by vivi »

New Spydercos should always come sharp.

Now, I do like to regrind my Spyderco edges a little thinner than they come from factory, but that's not something anyone has to do.
:unicorn
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Welcome Ruthless. Not saying those KO WorkSharps are bad but you might want to consider getting a Spyderco Sharpmaker for touch ups. I think you'll be surprised how sharp you can get that Spydiechef on the SM.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Ruthless wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:47 pm
Seems sharp, however, also seems like will dull quickly.
You can tell that just by looking at it?

Sharpen it when it doesn't cut like brand new.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Virtually any production knife from any company will not have an edge from the factory that exhibits peak performance. I'm not referring to bevel angle or grit finish, but fatigued steel on the edge. Sharpening a knife by hand on a stone yields a much healthier, longer lasting edge compared to using an industrial grade belt. Factory edges tend to have suboptimal edge retention and toughness. They will dull more quickly and are more prone to chipping and rolling. You normally don't get optimal stability, toughness, and edge retention until you've sharpened it 3-5 times and removed the fatigued steel. With that said, I don't immediately re-profile knives from the factory. To preserve the lifetime of the blade, I simply use it as long as I can until it's dull (maybe strop it back a time or 2 throughout use) and sharpen it when necessary. But this is something to keep and mind so you don't judge a particular steel or a company's heat treat until you've actually sharpened the knife a number of times.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

None of my Spydercos have come sharp from the factory. Some needed their bevels reset, others just needed a touch up to get the edge I wanted. For any tool or knife I expect to give it a few sharpenings before it settles down.
---------
Tony S
bwunger

Post by bwunger »

All of my Spydercos have come sharp, certainly sharp enough for normal use. I like mine sharper than factory though and like to set bevels narrower than factory so I always reprofile and sharpen them withing the first couple weeks.
Current collection: ZDP-189 Delica 4, S110V PM2, St. Nick's 4v Para 3, H1 sheepsfoot Manbug, Kapara, VG-10 Dragonfly, ATS-55 Serrated Delica, ZDP-189 MT04 (not broken yet) + Other non spydercos.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Welcome to the forum!

I use the Ken Onion Worksharp on most of my knives.

Just make sure you have the angle set correctly, or you're going to be reprofiling instead of sharpening, and it may get frustrating.

I don't think you need to sharpen it immediately. Use it until it needs sharpening, then sharpen as normal.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Welcome to the forum!

Spyders usually come fairly sharp with the exception of my Sprig and more so my Southfork which I reprofiled/sharpened before using.

All the others I just use as is and touch up on the SharpMaker for a bit but I'm generally not happy till I reprofile and sharpen a knife to my liking. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Mine was not sharp either, own the Ken Onion do not recommend it on this knife. LC200N sharpens very easy to a very sharp blade. Use Sharpmaker brown rods you’ll see.
anteck7

Post by anteck7 »

Nothing wrong with the worksharp, especially if you have the Ken Onion edition and you already are familiar with it and know how to sharpen. Match the bevel and just touch it up on the fine or extra fine belt.

I would say that tools like the worksharp are more dangerous for new sharpeners, as its easy to over do it without realizing it.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

anteck7 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:08 pm
Nothing wrong with the worksharp, especially if you have the Ken Onion edition and you already are familiar with it and know how to sharpen. Match the bevel and just touch it up on the fine or extra fine belt.

I would say that tools like the worksharp are more dangerous for new sharpeners, as its easy to over do it without realizing it.
Exactly, the sharpener will eat up S90V in nothing flat Lc200N does not stand a chance go very easy with it, very, Very easy if you choose this tool.