Did then Endura always have this?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cave_Hermit

Did then Endura always have this?

Post by Cave_Hermit »

Did the Endura always have the reinforced tip? What are your thoughts on the hump shaped tip?
Wartstein

Re: Did then Endura always have this?

Post by Wartstein »

No, it didn't. Others will know more about this, but at least the first gen Endura had no "hump shaped tip".

I personally like the change made to the tip. On my Enduras (all 4th gen) the tip always was pointy enough for my needs, while also feeling strong in the sense that I never feared to break it. Though admittedly, I don't know if I'd ever have broken a non reenforced tip.

It seems that unlike me, some really don't like the "hump shaped tip" and mod it (even more so on the Delica, as far as I am aware).
Last edited by Wartstein on Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Cave_Hermit

Post by Cave_Hermit »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:07 am
No, it didn't. Orhers will know more about this, but at least the first gen Endura had no "humped shaped tip".

I personally like the change made to the tip. On my Enduras (all 4th gen) the tip always was pointy enough for my needs, while also feeling strong in the sense that I never feared to break it. Though admittedly, I don't know if I'd ever have broken a non reenforced tip.

It seems that unlike me, some really don't like the "humped shaped tip" and mod it (even more so on the Delica, as far as I am aware).
Thanks for the info!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Let me add: While I like the "hump shaped tip" on my FFG Enduras, I wouldn't need it on my (one) sabre grind model. This things blade (and tip) would still be a hard use "tank", even without that drop.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

The endura 4's slight drop point is certainly pointy and stabby enough for my needs. I'd rather have a strong tip than one I have to constantly watch out for.

I realize I'm in the minority here as everyone else has "used their military or pm2 for a decade without issues", more or less. I personally can't go that long without making a mistake. The last tip I broke off was when I was replacing the tag lights in my truck and using a s110v military to strip the small wires that go to the bulbs. I stripped the wires carefully with ease (you must when the knife is incredibly sharp), but when I went to bring the knife down and back in my pocket, the tip lightly touched the bumper. 1mm of the tip gone.

Of course this is my fault, but I can also say with near perfect certainty that out of all the knives I've ever owned, there's only 2 that wouldn't have survived this small mistake: the military and the pm2. So at some point I have to ask myself if they are too pointy for my needs.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

I was not a fan of the hump shaped of the Endura (and Delica) 4 tip. When they first came out, I did not like it and wished for a return to the "splinter picker" tips of the previous models. However, I changed my tune on the humped tip when the FFG models came out. I still don't like the hump on the saber ground models, and I only own one saber ground D4 for nostalgia purposes. I only use and carry FFG Delicas and Enduras at present.