PM2 Pivot screw stuck. And I mean STUCK. SOS.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
basedlarrydavid

PM2 Pivot screw stuck. And I mean STUCK. SOS.

Post by basedlarrydavid »

I picked up a Rex 45 PM2 a couple of months back and have carried and used it often. Unfortunately, the lock side pivot screw will NOT come out. I recently purchased some custom scales and was greatly looking forward to installing them, but I obviously will be unable to do so unless I'm able to take the screw off. Turns out you need the pivot, liners, and washer if you want these things to work properly. ;-)

Anyhow, I'm not new to this. I've disassembled and maintained literally dozens of PM2s. I'm using Wiha Torx bits. The T8 stripped, so I moved up to the T10. I've put a hairdryer to it. Then a soldering iron. I've put, quite literally, all my strength into turning the screw and it is NOT moving. If I could get it to inch out at all I'd cut the screw with a high-speed tool steel hacksaw. But nothing. I've even purchased replacement pivot screws for when I finally DO get this thing out.

I don't think Golden used red loctite on this model. In fact, I can look into the center of the pivot and see evidence of blue Loctite. Even so, I just worked with a Knifeworks CF/Ti S90V Millie and had no struggle with the red.

My wrist hurts and I'm frustrated, LOL. HELP.

Edit: the only thing I can think of that would explain this is if during manufacturing, somehow, the pivot screw was inserted unevenly and it became cross-threaded/wedged in the pivot.
More K390 and 10V, please.

Instagram: @ohioapexing
Pelagic

Re: PM2 Pivot screw stuck. And I mean STUCK. SOS.

Post by Pelagic »

Did you put the knife on a flat surface and stop it from being able to spin, then use both hands and put your body weight into the screw, then turn with both hands? Pushing into the screw hard helps. And apply pressure GRADUALLY. It may require X amount of torque to break loose in an instant, but if you applied half of X for a period of time it'd also break loose eventually. Hold the pressure, push down hard with both hands, turn slowly and hold pressure as you go.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
ferider

Post by ferider »

Pelagic wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:41 pm
Did you put the knife on a flat surface and stop it from being able to spin, then use both hands and put your body weight into the screw, then turn with both hands? Pushing into the screw hard helps. And apply pressure GRADUALLY. It may require X amount of torque to break loose in an instant, but if you applied half of X for a period of time it'd also break loose eventually. Hold the pressure, push down hard with both hands, turn slowly and hold pressure as you go.
Like this with a red/black screw-driver type (not the green S-shaped) Wiha torx driver. BTW, the PM2 Pivot screw is T10 to start with, no wonder the T8 stripped.

If you cann't get it out, take the other side off, and heat the Pivot with a lighter (not too much obviously) and try again.

Finally, since you have replacement scales, how do you feel about sacrificing the original scale ?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I had the same problem with my Rex45 Para 3. I've had 5 different Para 3's and the Rex45 is the only one I couldn't get loose. Odd coincidence??
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The pivot screws on my old 20CP sprint were so tight I actually twisted the tip off a torx bit trying to break them loose. If you use a bit driver, try gripping the bit from the side in a pair of vice grips. This will give you much more leverage than you can get from a screwdriver handle, but also greatly increases the likelihood of stripping the screw so be careful. Slow and steady pressure and make sure you hold the bit as straight into the screw as possible and press into the screw as hard as you can.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
tyd450

Post by tyd450 »

I had the same problem with a military and ended up buying one of these

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 1560061849

It makes a huge difference and gives you tons of torque. It takes 1/4" bits though so the micro bits in most kits will be too small. Luckily the wiha bit kit I have comes with a conversion bit from micro to 1/4" so I didn't need to buy that, just something to be aware of if you decide to pick one of these up.
mayong

Post by mayong »

Same thing happened to me with the Cutlery Shoppe CTS-XHP sprint para 3. Pivot screw absolutely frozen in there. Using a method described in an earlier post, throwing my body weight into it and turning very slowly, I bent my T10 bit and stripped the pivot screw.

Stupid me used an off-the-shelf-box-store bit rather than the hardened wiha set that I also have, which likely wouldn't have bent. Ultimately had to drill the screw out and replace it.

Spyderco was kind enough to send a set of replacement pivot screws (thank you, customer service!) and now it's good as new. Heck of an ordeal though. Had me freaking out for a while, lol.
Police | Calypso | Caly 3 & 3.5 | PM 2 | Para 3 | UKPK | Endura | Dragonfly | Sage 2 | Sage 5

"While this test doesn't simulate any logical use of a knife as a tool, since it was a concern of some of our customers, we began incorporating it into our testing protocols." - Michael Janich
wsdavies

Post by wsdavies »

Use a dremel and cut a flat slot in the screw head and use a flathead screw driver to spin it out. You will likely ruin you scale in the process, but since you are replacing it then it likely doesn't matter.
jojojaykay

Post by jojojaykay »

Sorry for late reply, but did you end up finding a solution?

I had a similar problem in which a pm2 w/o threadlocker still had a stuck pivot screw.

What I did for a stuck pm2 screw was locking my screwdriver in a vise grip, butting it up against a corner in my tool box, then while pushing down on my knife using the knife as a lever to break the screw free.

I would be cautious about stripping your screwdriver/bit though. For reference I was using the craftsman set of micro torx screws.

When I did this the screw still "snapped" as it broke loose, much the same way threadlocked screws do. So I can only assume something is causing the screws to seize in the knife (although mine was brand new, so who really knows).
FullFlatMind

Post by FullFlatMind »

I had this happen with my DLT PM2 exclusive that just arrived. One pivot screw was completely stuck. I used a ratchet wrench for extra leverage. Pressed the bit into the screw firmly while holding the knife down against a grippy mat. Did the trick. I just wanted to re-center the blade and smooth out the action. Worked great. Seems like the screw may have been over torqued.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

FullFlatMind wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:03 am

I had this happen with my DLT PM2 exclusive that just arrived. One pivot screw was completely stuck. I used a ratchet wrench for extra leverage. Pressed the bit into the screw firmly while holding the knife down against a grippy mat. Did the trick. I just wanted to re-center the blade and smooth out the action. Worked great. Seems like the screw may have been over torqued.

This is from a different thread I posted in, but these are the best tools you can get for this application. Allows you to really apply that extra leverage you referred to, and the bits are amazing. You can also apply a bit of heat to the screw with the tip of a soldering iron if it is really stubborn and/or stuck on with loctite.

"Not a set, but PB Swiss makes the best bits (and everything else) in my opinion as a hard core tool junkie. I have Snap On, Mac, Matco, Wera, Wiha, Bondhus, Felo, Witte, Vessel, vintage Craftsman, you name it. PB Swiss is AMAZING and worth the price! They are Swiss Made and their attention to detail and drive for perfection reminds me a lot of Spyderco. Their owner is a tool obsessed nut like Sal! :D

PB Swiss Torx bits paired with their Stubby Crosshandle Driver are an unbeatable combo for knife disassembly. You can push straight into the screw while twisting the handle and the leverage provided ensures you won't strip the screws. Their Torx bits go as small as T5, so you should be covered for all of your knife needs if you buy T5-T15."

https://www.shop.pbtools.us/SwissGrip-S ... 10-30M.htm

https://www.shop.pbtools.us/PB-C6-400-1 ... s_c190.htm

:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

wsdavies wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:14 am
Use a dremel and cut a flat slot in the screw head and use a flathead screw driver to spin it out. You will likely ruin you scale in the process, but since you are replacing it then it likely doesn't matter.
This.

That's what I did and it worked great. I did ruin the factory scale, though.
DukeNiemand

Post by DukeNiemand »

Also had the same issue with my Rex45 military. I had to really bear down on it. Looks like they used a ton of some weird white-ish looking loctite. Luckily the T-15 pivot screws of the Military are a lot more confidence inspiring than the PM2 screws.
FullFlatMind

Post by FullFlatMind »

I used something similar to this: https://low.es/2QDwG28 Good leverage and keeps it close to the screw.