Cruwear micarta Bushcraft/Proficient

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Re: Cruwear micarta Bushcraft/Proficient

Post by sal »

Thanx for the thread Darby. I guess I missed it first time around. (on-the-road). Thanx for the bump Pancake. I'll watch the thread.

Micarta and G-10 are not squirted from a mold, they are machined and machining a handle like this is not an easy task, which demands the high cost. If there is enough interest, I'll price another version.

sal
Supacede

Post by Supacede »

I'd def be in for a couple.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Sal, I totally get that cost for machining. I am a hobby knifemaker and doing even simple shaped handle is going to take quite lot of time. And this model is all about the that beautiful handle.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I would be very tempted by a FFG Cruwear and micarta version of the Bushcraft...
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
mb1

Post by mb1 »

I like the idea Darby. I picked up something similar this year. 4.3" of 5/32 Cruwear. It's a handy size for sure, and Spyderco ergos with micarta would be a sure winner.

- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
glutofknives

Post by glutofknives »

This sounds like an excellent idea. It reminds me of an esee knife that actually cuts well lol.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

mb1 wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:51 am
I like the idea Darby. I picked up something similar this year. 4.3" of 5/32 Cruwear. It's a handy size for sure, and Spyderco ergos with micarta would be a sure winner.

Wow that's pretty...
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Thx @JuPaul. :spyder: I felt powerless to resist a Cruwear fixed blade. ;) I love burl, but would prefer micarta in day to day use.
- Mark

JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

mb1 wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:24 pm
Thx @JuPaul. :spyder: I felt powerless to resist a Cruwear fixed blade. ;) I love burl, but would prefer micarta in day to day use.
I'm with you on that, but those scales are definitely beautiful. I love that sheath, too - same maker? I used to think kydex was the only way to go, but lately my love of nice aged-looking leather has really grown. And on days when I'm taking my knife out a lot, like for mushroom hunting, I think it's easier and doesn't scratch up your blade.
- Julia

mb1

Post by mb1 »

JuPaul wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:52 pm
mb1 wrote:
I'm with you on that, but those scales are definitely beautiful. I love that sheath, too - same maker? I used to think kydex was the only way to go, but lately my love of nice aged-looking leather has really grown. And on days when I'm taking my knife out a lot, like for mushroom hunting, I think it's easier and doesn't scratch up your blade.
Yes, same maker on the sheath. That sheath has a drain hole, which is something I don't typically see on leather sheaths. I don't even like putting a dirty knife in a sheath, let alone a wet one. But it seems like a good idea in theory.

So maybe optimizing the sheath on a future Cruwear Spydie fixed blade would be another area to give some thought, beyond the simple kydex (or boltaron) vs leather question.

My vote on scales would be NOT having removable scales. I think having them epoxied on makes them less prone to corrosion underneath, with the epoxy acting as a sealer. Sure, tangs could get rusty. But there are countless basic carbon steel kitchen knives that have survived many decades with fixed scales. And that's a knife that gets used and gets wet much more consistently than any of our hobby knives.

But if bolt-on scales were chosen, it does open up 3D contoured and textured machining possibilities, customization, etc.
- Mark

JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

mb1 wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:42 am
JuPaul wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:52 pm
mb1 wrote:
Yes, same maker on the sheath. That sheath has a drain hole, which is something I don't typically see on leather sheaths. I don't even like putting a dirty knife in a sheath, let alone a wet one. But it seems like a good idea in theory.

So maybe optimizing the sheath on a future Cruwear Spydie fixed blade would be another area to give some thought, beyond the simple kydex (or boltaron) vs leather question.

My vote on scales would be NOT having removable scales. I think having them epoxied on makes them less prone to corrosion underneath, with the epoxy acting as a sealer. Sure, tangs could get rusty. But there are countless basic carbon steel kitchen knives that have survived many decades with fixed scales. And that's a knife that gets used and gets wet much more consistently than any of our hobby knives.

But if bolt-on scales were chosen, it does open up 3D contoured and textured machining possibilities, customization, etc.
Is the bow river sheath open at the bottom for drainage? Can't remember, and I don't have mine on hand. But anyhow I like the idea, assuming the leather is or can be waterproofed (otherwise it's really kind of a moot point). But for leather or kydex, my request is that the sheath be lower ride than most other spydie sheaths, or at least come with an adapter to give us a low-ride option. I don't think concealment would be necessary/desirable for this kind of knife, that presumably people would be using for outdoors, camping, bushcraft, etc.

As for scales, if we actually got a soft, textured micarta, I'd be fine with non-removable scales. But removable scales do give people the option to customize if they prefer something else.
- Julia

Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Sheath on the Bow river doesn't have drainage hole but you can add one simple with a small drill bit.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
ikaretababy

Post by ikaretababy »

I will instantly buy this knife. I've wanted this combination since the proficient came out.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I'd buy this. Would be the spydie fixed blade I've been waiting for.

Then again, would still buy if it were in A2.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
glutofknives

Post by glutofknives »

Bumping this thread to keep it alive.
I think a cru-carta proficient would look awesome with the sheath dyed brown instead of black.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

I'd be up for one if it were in the 5-6" range. PD#1 mules that are only 13mm shorter on the edge than the Proficient, but with 0.5mm thinner blade stock and it looks like they still have them in stock.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

I think I would buy it.
The price will be high, like 250+ € high. Just for reference, Proficient right now is around 390€, so like 430 $.
But still, this knife looks like a killer design.
sal

Post by sal »

Any thoughts on the color ( green OK?) and finish of the Micarta and the type of sheath?

sal
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

sal wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:08 am
Any thoughts on the color ( green OK?) and finish of the Micarta and the type of sheath?

sal
If the knife is going to be on the pricier side due to the labor in the scales, I’d say go for a pricier multi colored micarta like OD green and black. Also, I’m a fan of the Boltaron sheaths as well especially if it is cross compatible with the Proficient and Bushcraft.

Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I love green canvas micarta. I would also be interested in denim micarta if it didn’t add too much to the cost.

I am not too picky about scale finish. Smoother looks better. I have an LTWright that has what i believe is a bead blasted finish on canvas micarta. It is smooth but not too smooth. I like it.

I like the leather sheath that they currently come with.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?