Cruwear micarta Bushcraft/Proficient

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fireman

Re: Cruwear micarta Bushcraft/Proficient

Post by Fireman »

I can also see a third party making complete handle kits or rough kits that you would sand and epoxy yourself.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
sal

Post by sal »

OK Chris,

You have our attention. Can I buy one of the smaller model? How long is it? Can you email me on refinements on the "old" handle? (sglesser@spyderco.com)

As far as the cost of the investment, every model is a gamble. When I first got involved in the Bushcraft concept, the ergonomics of the handle were not first thought, but afterthought and this forum brought us the "Nasa" version. I think that the handle is a bit of a classic, even for a daft Brit ;) There might be a way to share the design with more folks.

The concept of ergonomics in using a knife for a long period of time is an interesting path to explore.

sal
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

sal wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:24 pm
OK Chris,

You have our attention.

sal
Oh boy! This could leade to some interesting model :eek: :D
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
marty_bill_

Post by marty_bill_ »

Awesome!! This is cool place. Can't wait to hear more about this project!
C_Claycomb

Post by C_Claycomb »

Sal,
8" total, 3 5/8 blade. 110g (3.88oz). For comparison, the Proficient is about 8.75"oal, 4" blade 183g (6.45oz).
It is a refinement of the one I showed you when I saw you last. I will drop you an email.

I didn't mean to derail discussion of variants to the existing knife. I wanted a picture of handle texture that wasn't copyright, or promoted another brand's knife :o

Daft Brit indeed :p I would remind you that half my daft is from your side of the Big Pond! ;)

ATB

Chris
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

C_Claycomb wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:03 am
Sal,
8" total, 3 5/8 blade. 110g (3.88oz). For comparison, the Proficient is about 8.75"oal, 4" blade 183g (6.45oz).
It is a refinement of the one I showed you when I saw you last. I will drop you an email.

I didn't mean to derail discussion of variants to the existing knife. I wanted a picture of handle texture that wasn't copyright, or promoted another brand's knife :o

Daft Brit indeed :p I would remind you that half my daft is from your side of the Big Pond! ;)

ATB

Chris
This was one those best derailements that could happened :D
I think that smaller Proficient with molded FRN handle ala Moran fixed would be cool as heck
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

That smaller knife looks fantastic.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

It sounds like I need to nab that "NASA" Proficient while I can :)
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
sal

Post by sal »

In my opinion, the "Nasa" Proficient is one of the better fixed blades on the market. Once they're gone, we probably won't do a re-run.

sal
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Noted! I've got one incoming :)
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
GaryArt1

Post by GaryArt1 »

I can't believe you guys "made me" order the Proficient. Well that is at least what I telling my wife if she finds out I ordered another expensive knife. I needed a good fixed blade for camping and hiking. After all the good reviews, I just decided to go for it. I'm looking forward to it coming in.
Current Spydercos in EDC rotation: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Dragonfly 2 Toku2, Vrango, Matrix 2 G10 Black, Native 5 Fluted Carbon, Canis, Native 5 Salt, Enuff Sheepfoot, Lil' Temperance 3, Proficient, Caribbean Sheepsfoot, Shaman Zwear micarta, Shaman Black/Black Spyderedge, DLT tan Yojimbo 2
dan31

Post by dan31 »

I’m giving the proficient some thought. As Sal said, this could be one and done due to the costs to manufacture. I have a south fork. Different purposes, but same great S90v.
Burton Knut

Post by Burton Knut »

Y’all please buy them all up. S90V and Carbon Fiber don’t sound all that appealing to me in this package, but when Sal says it’s a great knife I have a hard time keeping my wallet closed. Don’t need, don’t need, don’t need...I’ll be over here in the corner convincing myself :)
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

I ll said it for 1000nd time, carbon fibre and S90V Proficient is gorgeous knife, but beyond my price range.
FRN molded handle and tool steel smaller Proficient? That is something very interesting.
sal

Post by sal »

Hey Chris,

I'm still waiting for that email?

sal
C_Claycomb

Post by C_Claycomb »

:o
Yeah...today.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Chris, Sal,

This Proficient is one of the most comfortable knives I've ever held. There's been a lot of knives that hurt in a few spots, a few that don't hurt at all, and then there's this marvel.

It'll take some time to feel okay putting such a nice blade through its paces, but I know my hands will be happy!
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I think I might want a kydex sheath to boost the carry options. Any recommendations?
sal

Post by sal »

SheathPro.com makes Spyderco's Boltaron ( hi line Kydex ) sheaths.

FYI, I took the plastic insert out of my leather sheath and it works fine.

sal.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Count me interested!
Don’t have a lot to add other than I like to quietly follow interesting threads and see where they lead. It’s an odd form of enjoyment to see the progression.
Anyway, I’ll leave my small influence in the form of encouragement.
I’m in love with concept of a FRN version of this knife and/or that smaller version!
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool: