Cruwear micarta Bushcraft/Proficient

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Re: Cruwear micarta Bushcraft/Proficient

Post by sal »

Waiting quotes.

sal
AmpliFyre

Post by AmpliFyre »

I was looking to get a cruwear fixed blade and was leaning towards the bark river bravo or aurora.
Looks like I will wait to see what comes from spyderco.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Amplifyre,

Welcome to our forum..

sal
Burton Knut

Post by Burton Knut »

Late to this party but I’ll cast my .02 for either blade, def convex or full flat, blue denim micarta and a taco Kydex sheath. I’d probably have to get two of that configuration.
I’d assumed this thread was just folks dreaming and didn’t realize how close it was getting to reality. Yeehaw!!
AmpliFyre

Post by AmpliFyre »

sal wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:51 pm
Hi Amplifyre,

Welcome to our forum..

sal
Thank you!
soundshaman

Post by soundshaman »

This is a winning combination of materials with this great model. I can't wait
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Hankering for this!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Homebrw

Post by Homebrw »

I would love to buy one!
sal

Post by sal »

While studying the possibility of a Micarta / Cruwear Proficient, and working up quotes, we learned that the best way to make the model is to polish the handle like the Bushcraft and the Carbon handle of the S90 version. The original plan was to bead blast the Micarta, but that creates other problems. SSssoooo....Is a polished handle a deal breaker for those interested in this version? Should we abandon the project?

sal
Burton Knut

Post by Burton Knut »

Polished micarta isn’t a deal breaker for me.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

sal wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:41 am
While studying the possibility of a Micarta / Cruwear Proficient, and working up quotes, we learned that the best way to make the model is to polish the handle like the Bushcraft and the Carbon handle of the S90 version. The original plan was to bead blast the Micarta, but that creates other problems. SSssoooo....Is a polished handle a deal breaker for those interested in this version? Should we abandon the project?

sal
I wonder, would you be able to leave a courser texture using a material like Terotuf, which is reportedly not as toxic to work with?

I generally like the less-polished Micarta as in the CRK Green Beret or ESEE knives, but I haven't tried a highly-polished micarta. I'm open to something new, and would definitely still buy it.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'd prefer rough Micarta or TeroTuf, but polished Micarta would not be a deal breaker for me.
PStone

Post by PStone »

I’m probably odd man out, but I would actually prefer a polished handle. I find that matte finishes tend to become more slippery to me than a polish. Especially with my dry skin. But too much texture can give me hotspots and blisters with extended use. As far as abandoning the project, I can only account for one sale from myself. Also fwiw, I love the polished scales on my Province.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I generally prefer some texture, but in a hand-filling design like this I think it's less important. I'd still be interested, especially if the scales are interesting.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

PStone wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:21 am
I’m probably odd man out, but I would actually prefer a polished handle. I find that matte finishes tend to become more slippery to me than a polish. Especially with my dry skin. But too much texture can give me hotspots and blisters with extended use. As far as abandoning the project, I can only account for one sale from myself. Also fwiw, I love the polished scales on my Province.
You, my friend, are not alone and from my experience Micarta smooths out with heavy use anyway. I've only lightly beat on my Province, but the smooth G-10 has had zero negative effects. Working with slimy things like fish may be totally different but I don't have any experience with fish, or politicians :o :D

Still haven't purchased any Terofuf yet to form an opinion.....
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
foofie

Post by foofie »

Not a deal breaker! I would actually prefer polished.
And - it is easy to run a little sand paper to rough it up if that is what someone prefers.

I think green micarta doesn't polish as readily as natural? If so, perhaps that is an option? Perhaps after milling, you would end up with a matte finish rather than polished, which would be acceptable to more people?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

With good ergos texture isn’t needed in my opinion. The Bushcraft has excellent ergos, maybe the best. I also find that smooth handles are less likely to cause blisters. I am definitely still in!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
ikaretababy

Post by ikaretababy »

I am one of the people who finds that polished micarta actually seems to "stick" to my hand in a really positive, secure way. Even if it didn't the handle on the bushcraft/proficient is simply "perfect" and has no need for texture in my opinion.

Theres no such thing as a deal breaker for this knife. you could make the handle hot pink and laser etch smiley faces into the blade and I'd still need it. It's the knife I've been waiting for spyderco to make for years!!
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Polished sounds just fine.
marshy

Post by marshy »

I've been following this thread for a while, and as mentioned by the previous posters, I definitely don't see the polished handle as a deal breaker, and am still very much game for one!
Tenacious, PM3, PM2, Southfork, Sustain