Cruwear micarta Bushcraft/Proficient

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Re: Cruwear micarta Bushcraft/Proficient

Post by sal »

Currently getting prices n a Proficient with full flat grind. Micarta, bead blasted finish, brown, green or denim blue.

sal
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

sal wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:51 pm
Currently getting prices n a Proficient with full flat grind. Micarta, bead blasted finish, brown, green or denim blue.

sal
Awesome! Of those, Green would get my vote, but I will buy any of the above!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
PStone

Post by PStone »

Posting to follow thread. Would love to see denim blue. Would also love some 52100. But is m4 off the table for blade steel?
sal

Post by sal »

Hi PStone,

Currently working on CPM Cruwear. Thought it was a good compromise for the request. If the market (you) likes it and wants more, we're open.

Chris Claycomb created an exceptional handle specially desined for the Bushcraft need for using the knife many hours per day for many days with no "hot spots".

sal
PStone

Post by PStone »

sal wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:59 pm
Hi PStone,

Currently working on CPM Cruwear. Thought it was a good compromise for the request. If the market (you) likes it and wants more, we're open.

Chris Claycomb created an exceptional handle specially desined for the Bushcraft need for using the knife many hours per day for many days with no "hot spots".

sal
I didn’t know if it was 100%. Now do. I’m very much looking forward hearing/seeing more about this. I owned a Bushcraft but did sell it. Never warmed up to the thick scandi. Proficient just isn’t what I’m looking for material wise in a camping knife. This one sounds like a very nice compromise of the two’s strengths, and should be anticipated by many.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

sal wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:59 pm
sal wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:51 pm
An FFG Cruwear Proficient in Green Canvas Micarta and I'm done. I've been looking at ESEEs, Bradford Guardians, and Bark River but I think this would do it for me. I also like the idea of the Temperance with this combo. Not sure I'd get both; I like the looks of the Temperance handle better, but I haven't had the pleasure of handing either.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Oooooohhhh sounds perfect! Green scales get my vote. Brown 2nd.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

All praise Darby for this thread and Sal for making it a real thing.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
SC_PATRIOT

Post by SC_PATRIOT »

Sal, realistically what possible time frame are we looking at? 3 months, 6 months?. I have a long Spyderco list but this combo is what I've been waiting on. After having the Proficient and selling it due to having many other models in s90v. Whatever time frame is fine but can you give a ballpark?
Also I along with others might be wondering is this still going to be a Taichung offspring? Due to the Cruwear.

Thanks
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Well, fastest we could see some new models is Reveal 6, which could be around May ( just a guess). But noone apart from Sal knows what models are going to be in next Reveal.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

SC_PATRIOT wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:01 pm
Sal, realistically what possible time frame are we looking at? 3 months, 6 months?. I have a long Spyderco list but this combo is what I've been waiting on. After having the Proficient and selling it due to having many other models in s90v. Whatever time frame is fine but can you give a ballpark?
Also I along with others might be wondering is this still going to be a Taichung offspring? Due to the Cruwear.

Thanks
Sal mentioned in the Temperance 2 thread that they were considering a US-made Temp2 to keep prices down. Maybe the same could be done with the Proficient?
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

This all sound great.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SC_PATRIOT

Post by SC_PATRIOT »

Agreed. Everything sounds great!
Micarta, Cruwear, possible US made,. Spyderco for all!
Instagram: @my_blade_life
Spyderco only EDC... :D
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I'm in for one!

I'd personally pick denim blue. Green could work too depending on the shade.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

put me down for a crucarta proficient!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

I was sending some mails with one custom maker about making one smaller fixed, but he is not responding for a few days now.....so I guess my money will go to Spyderco once again
Kels73

Post by Kels73 »

This thread has me excited. I have several bushcraft knives that are scandi ground. I love a thin scandi grind for working wood, but I don't like it for anything else. I think of it as a specialty grind.

Consequently, I'm in the market for a fixed blade that would serve as a good general purpose woods knife. A Proficient in Cruwear and Micarta would be near perfect.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

SC_PATRIOT wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:19 am
Agreed. Everything sounds great!
Micarta, Cruwear, possible US made,. Spyderco for all!
Oh yes, this. US made please.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

This knife is going to be good.
ikaretababy

Post by ikaretababy »

Day one buy. This knife has been begging to be made for years. The handle on the bushcraft/proficient is so good. thanks Sal!!