Cruwear micarta Bushcraft/Proficient

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
archangel

Re: Cruwear micarta Bushcraft/Proficient

Post by archangel »

Have you considered the Serrata? It should be plenty stout for batoning, and it's FFG. It uses no "super steel", but I've heard many good things about this knife... Plus it doesn't cost piles of money.

I'm curious to compare it with my Bushcraft, although I don't know when I'll actually come to do that. Well, handling wise I'll hopefully soon have the chance... :rolleyes:
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have a Temp2 and love it. I would take another in any number of combos. That said, the Temp2 handle has nothing on the Bushcraft/Proficient.

I have almost bought a serrata many times. The design from the side looks great. Almost everything about it looks great. I can deal with the edge not being fully sharpened on my own but the 1/4 inch thick stock just doesn’t work for me. It has a distal taper which helps but my experiences with other thick knives makes me hesitate. If they made a Serrata with 4mm or thinner blade stock I would be interested. The Serrata also has an excellent handle and the blade shape is very appealing.

I like the size of the Bushcraft and the handle is perfection. I own and enjoy some Scandi grinds but overall I find it has limited applications. I really just want a flat ground Bushcraft that costs a little less and is a little more durable than the proficient. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
KnOeFz

Post by KnOeFz »

Love the bushcraft uk, wouldn't mind seein it turn into a fixed blade steel/grind variety platform.
We have a scandi and a full flat grind, maybe next that cruewear with a high saber grind? :D
archangel

Post by archangel »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:45 am
I have a Temp2 and love it. I would take another in any number of combos. That said, the Temp2 handle has nothing on the Bushcraft/Proficient.

I have almost bought a serrata many times. The design from the side looks great. Almost everything about it looks great. I can deal with the edge not being fully sharpened on my own but the 1/4 inch thick stock just doesn’t work for me. It has a distal taper which helps but my experiences with other thick knives makes me hesitate. If they made a Serrata with 4mm or thinner blade stock I would be interested. The Serrata also has an excellent handle and the blade shape is very appealing.

I like the size of the Bushcraft and the handle is perfection. I own and enjoy some Scandi grinds but overall I find it has limited applications. I really just want a flat ground Bushcraft that costs a little less and is a little more durable than the proficient. :)

Serrata has a very thick stock, yes, but it's also got a very wide belly blade. Should make cutting fairly easy, don't you think?

You said you almost bought it many times. Where's the risk? You are selling or passing on knives that you deem not worthy, don't you?
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Bump! I’d still like to see a convex cruwear Spyderco bushcraft!
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I'd be in for this. My current camp knife is a Calavera Cutlery Operator, which was on sale at Howe's way back when. It's not exactly a bushcraft pattern but it's convexed A2 and has a comfortable handle and a great sheath.

bearfacedkiller

archangel wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:06 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:45 am

Serrata has a very thick stock, yes, but it's also got a very wide belly blade. Should make cutting fairly easy, don't you think?

You said you almost bought it many times. Where's the risk? You are selling or passing on knives that you deem not worthy, don't you?
I have owned a few 1/4 inch thick knives. They have all been sold. I regularly baton and abuse 1/8 inch knives without issues.

Too many other knives on the wish list to take another chance on a thicker knife.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
sal

Post by sal »

We're looking into it.

Is the Bushcraft blade shape preferred over the Proficient blade shape. Both were designed by Chris Claycomb.

sal
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

sal wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:48 pm
We're looking into it.

Is the Bushcraft blade shape preferred over the Proficient blade shape. Both were designed by Chris Claycomb.

sal
I love everything about the Proficient blade, shape and grind. Crucarta the Proficient and call it a day!

BTW, my preference will always be burgundy linen micarta!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Hmm, still interested in this one.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
bigboned

Post by bigboned »

sal wrote:
We're looking into it.

sal
yes! Bushcraft all the way please Sal
Andy
Necker - Ladybug Hawkbill Salt
Mon-Fri - Delica4 in Cruwear
Sat-Sun - Para3 in Cruwear

Urban K390 (2.61"), Bow River (for slicing jerky)

Want to try- PM2 CF M4 OR Cruwear , GB2, Bradley Bowie
Gone - Delica ZDP189, PM2 Cruwear, Para3 LW BD1N, Para3 S30V, Junction, Ti UKPK
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

sal wrote:
We're looking into it.

sal
I prefer the blade shape of the Bushcraft (less belly, more drop-point blade shape). I'd be curious if you could keep the shape of the bushcraft blade, but do a FFG?

Also, are the handles the exact same shape? I've handled both, but thought the Bushcraft handle ergos were more to my liking... maybe I'm imaging a difference.
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

sal wrote:

The blade shape from the Bushcraft please.
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Only thing I am worried about is the possible price...I saw Proficient as high as 400 €...
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
bearfacedkiller

I am pretty flexible on blade shape. I like both but might lean towards the Proficient’s shape myself.
-Darby
m6steen

Post by m6steen »

Nope, just get a Bark River, they all have convex grinds.
Matt

C07 Police 4 | FRN K390
C41 Native 5 | Never Summer/NFFF
C94 UK Penknife | BD1N

Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Bushcraft, 1/8”, convex or scandi.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

I'd prefer the ffg Proficient, but would definitely buy either model. Sounds like a great steel/handle material combo. With a kydex sheath please!
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

m6steen wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:42 pm
Nope, just get a Bark River, they all have convex grinds.
I just have one knife with convex grind, a Fallkniven F1. I don't see any difference in use to a FFG. I don't like that I have to sharpen it on a different way, so right now it's not even shaving sharp.
What do you like about convex grinds?
glutofknives

Post by glutofknives »

The proficient blade design gets my vote.