Cruwear micarta Bushcraft/Proficient

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
User avatar
bearfacedkiller
Member
Posts: 9580
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:22 pm
Location: hiding in the woods...

Cruwear micarta Bushcraft/Proficient

Postby bearfacedkiller » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:05 pm

So, I own both the Bushcraft and the Proficient. They are both wonderful knives and they have the best ergonomics I have ever felt. Truly amazing!

The Bushcraft is great and so is O1 but for me the thick Scandi grind is a little limited in its applications. It does bushcraft well but as a general purpose outdoor knife that can do bushcraft, hunting/fishing and camp chores including food prep it is a little thick for me. Honestly, if it was flat ground I wouldn't be making this thread.

The Proficient has a great FFG but i have a couple other issues with it. It is awefully pricey to be beating on, I get nervous batoning or prying with S90V and I question CF's durability compared to G10 or micarta. That makes it sound like I don't like it and that is not true, I love it as a camp knife but not as a bushcraft knife.

Let's make this a trilogy and make a knife that falls right in the middle of these two with materials that everyone wants. Basically flat ground with Cruwear and green canvas micarta. :D Either blade shape will work. I will buy two!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?

User avatar
Calicoast
Member
Posts: 382
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:09 am
Location: Southern California

Re: Cruwear micarta Bushcraft/Proficient

Postby Calicoast » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:11 pm

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:05 pm
So, I own both the Bushcraft and the Proficient. They are both wonderful knives and they have the best ergonomics I have ever felt. Truly amazing!

The Bushcraft is great and so is O1 but for me the thick Scandi grind is a little limited in its applications. It does bushcraft well but as a general purpose outdoor knife that can do bushcraft, hunting/fishing and camp chores including food prep it is a little thick for me. Honestly, if it was flat ground I wouldn't be making this thread.

The Proficient has a great FFG but i have a couple other issues with it. It is awefully pricey to be beating on, I get nervous batoning or prying with S90V and I question CF's durability compared to G10 or micarta. That makes it sound like I don't like it and that is not true, I love it as a camp knife but not as a bushcraft knife.

Let's make this a trilogy and make a knife that falls right in the middle of these two with materials that everyone wants. Basically flat ground with Cruwear and green canvas micarta. :D Either blade shape will work. I will buy two!
My Cruwear PM2 hasn't left my pocket since I purchased it. Such a well rounded steel. My vote would be Cruwear as well for the proficient and micarta. More Spyderco micarta would be nice to see.

I have been playing with my Scandi's lately.
Have a few 0.70 slicers.
Really liking A2 steel as well.
But given a choice, FFG Cruwear no doubt.
C

User avatar
Woodpuppy
Member
Posts: 1985
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:38 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Cruwear micarta Bushcraft/Proficient

Postby Woodpuppy » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:12 pm

I’d be all in for that!!! Easy to maintain and less corrosion prone than M4 (or O1).
:spyder: My other blade is a Kelly Perfect :spyder:

foofie
Member
Posts: 325
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:23 pm

Re: Cruwear micarta Bushcraft/Proficient

Postby foofie » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:40 pm

I love my proficient - and share the same concerns.
Green canvas micarta with cruwear sounds great. I would even settle for 4v...

User avatar
captnvegtble
Member
Posts: 939
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:20 am

Re: Cruwear micarta Bushcraft/Proficient

Postby captnvegtble » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:08 pm

I have to say that I don't think it's just the blade shape/grind that is different. I own 2 Bushcrafts (Burled Maple and G10 handles), and I also bought the Proficient but returned it because I didn't think the handle was as comfortable... I think the butt of the grip might be slightly different (and hence the ergonomics). I would advocate to use the Bushcraft handle molds as I think they're more comfortable. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

User avatar
bearfacedkiller
Member
Posts: 9580
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:22 pm
Location: hiding in the woods...

Re: Cruwear micarta Bushcraft/Proficient

Postby bearfacedkiller » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:35 pm

foofie wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:40 pm
I love my proficient - and share the same concerns.
Green canvas micarta with cruwear sounds great. I would even settle for 4v...
3V, 4V or Cruwear would all work for me. 3V and Cruwear are more stain resistant.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?

TomAiello
Member
Posts: 3925
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:34 pm
Location: Twin Falls, ID

Re: Cruwear micarta Bushcraft/Proficient

Postby TomAiello » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:45 pm

Are the Bushcraft and Proficient both Taichung?

Because if it was made in Maniago, Sleipner would be a really nice blade material for a sprint.

I would prefer 3v or Cruwear to 4v. I'm not sure that 4v would have the edge stability for batoning.

AccountDeletedUserRequest
Member
Posts: 6612
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:15 am

Re: Cruwear micarta Bushcraft/Proficient

Postby AccountDeletedUserRequest » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:53 pm

Cruwear, FFG and green micarta would sell me on this model. I've held off on either version of it because I like FFG more than Scandi grinds, but S90V isn't a steel I'd want to use in a fixed blade.

User avatar
Woodpuppy
Member
Posts: 1985
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:38 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Cruwear micarta Bushcraft/Proficient

Postby Woodpuppy » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:03 pm

While we’re wishing, make it in Golden. Also, sell just the knife to keep the price down; I’d have Ryan Grizzle make me a sheath for it.
:spyder: My other blade is a Kelly Perfect :spyder:

User avatar
Bloke
Member
Posts: 4511
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 12:43 am
Location: Sydney, Australia.

Re: Cruwear micarta Bushcraft/Proficient

Postby Bloke » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:24 pm

Vivi wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:53 pm
... but S90V isn't a steel I'd want to use in a fixed blade.
Why so Vivi?

My Sprig has seen plenty of use cutting through fish bones, most often using brute force and some lateral pressure without any significant edge damage and all I've managed to do was snap off about 0.010" of the ultra fine tip from slamming it into a hard cutting board while muscling through ... fish bone. :o

All said, I don't use it on Australian hardwood or similar nor do I baton it. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin

TomAiello
Member
Posts: 3925
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:34 pm
Location: Twin Falls, ID

Re: Cruwear micarta Bushcraft/Proficient

Postby TomAiello » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:16 pm

I've been fairly happy with s90v in some fixed blades (like the Southfork). It's noticeably tougher than the s110v I have in some folders.

AccountDeletedUserRequest
Member
Posts: 6612
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:15 am

Re: Cruwear micarta Bushcraft/Proficient

Postby AccountDeletedUserRequest » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:09 pm

Bloke wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:24 pm
Vivi wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:53 pm
... but S90V isn't a steel I'd want to use in a fixed blade.
Why so Vivi?

My Sprig has seen plenty of use cutting through fish bones, most often using brute force and some lateral pressure without any significant edge damage and all I've managed to do was snap off about 0.010" of the ultra fine tip from slamming it into a hard cutting board while muscling through ... fish bone. :o

All said, I don't use it on Australian hardwood or similar nor do I baton it. :)
Because with a fixed blade that size I would use it to baton and pry.

I also don't value wear resistance much at all in a camp knife, because wood and food are the things I cut most and neither are abrasive.

In a camp knife I want a steel that is tough and easy to sharpen. 1095, O1, A2, 1085, etc.

If they made a FFG O1 version I would have loved that. O1 is one of my top choices for a small camp knife. It takes an amazing edge.

User avatar
Bloke
Member
Posts: 4511
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 12:43 am
Location: Sydney, Australia.

Re: Cruwear micarta Bushcraft/Proficient

Postby Bloke » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:44 pm

Vivi wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:09 pm
Bloke wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:24 pm
Vivi wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:53 pm
... but S90V isn't a steel I'd want to use in a fixed blade.
Why so Vivi?

My Sprig has seen plenty of use cutting through fish bones, most often using brute force and some lateral pressure without any significant edge damage and all I've managed to do was snap off about 0.010" of the ultra fine tip from slamming it into a hard cutting board while muscling through ... fish bone. :o

All said, I don't use it on Australian hardwood or similar nor do I baton it. :)
Because with a fixed blade that size I would use it to baton and pry.

I also don't value wear resistance much at all in a camp knife, because wood and food are the things I cut most and neither are abrasive.

In a camp knife I want a steel that is tough and easy to sharpen. 1095, O1, A2, 1085, etc.

If they made a FFG O1 version I would have loved that. O1 is one of my top choices for a small camp knife. It takes an amazing edge.
Apologies, I misunderstood.

Agree on all accounts, though I don’t baton knives unless I absolutely have to.

My favourite camp/bushcraft knife is a Roselli Hunter with Krupp W75 blade that I can’t say enough good things about. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin

User avatar
Calicoast
Member
Posts: 382
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:09 am
Location: Southern California

Re: Cruwear micarta Bushcraft/Proficient

Postby Calicoast » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:04 pm

Vivi is dead on with this. 01 Euro / A2 US: both are tough steels, and take a great edge. Great for camp, bushcraft, etc. I usually will pack an axe for heavier work, but these steels will certainly hold up for kindling, prying, carving, and twisting cuts, especially in scandi grind with some weight behind the edge. Has Spyderco used any A2? I have been really putting this steel through work lately, and I like it. I will usually carry my (SET Apache / Sargent Edge Tools) A2 scandi on hikes, pm2 in the pocket for food prep, detail work. Good combo.

User avatar
Pancake
Member
Posts: 770
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:52 am

Re: Cruwear micarta Bushcraft/Proficient

Postby Pancake » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:48 am

I am going to bump this thread.
I think it's a great idea to make Proficient in like O1 steel and micarta. The price tag on current one is really high and this model could be popular if the price was lower.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
On belt: Bow River, Waterway

JuPaul
Member
Posts: 2154
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:06 am

Re: Cruwear micarta Bushcraft/Proficient

Postby JuPaul » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:14 am

Pancake wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:48 am
I am going to bump this thread.
I think it's a great idea to make Proficient in like O1 steel and micarta. The price tag on current one is really high and this model could be popular if the price was lower.
Agreed. I'd buy one for sure. And based on other recent threads concerning spydie fixed blades, there would be a lot of other folks on the forum that would, too.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.

User avatar
Enactive
Member
Posts: 941
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:19 pm
Location: Wet side of Washington

Re: Cruwear micarta Bushcraft/Proficient

Postby Enactive » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:16 am

Yes on Cruwear, micarta and flat grind!

User avatar
Dazen
Member
Posts: 491
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:38 am
Location: Texas U.S.A. Earth

Re: Cruwear micarta Bushcraft/Proficient

Postby Dazen » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:36 am

While they are at it, please make the scales removable like the Province. A must for any non stainless!

TomAiello
Member
Posts: 3925
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:34 pm
Location: Twin Falls, ID

Re: Cruwear micarta Bushcraft/Proficient

Postby TomAiello » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:53 am

I'd rather have 3v than Cruwear, if hard use was the goal. I think I'm just about the least in love with CruWear of any of the people I see on line. With 3v and 4v as options, I just can't find a spot in my heart for it.

User avatar
curlyhairedboy
Member
Posts: 1892
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:01 am
Location: Southern New England

Re: Cruwear micarta Bushcraft/Proficient

Postby curlyhairedboy » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:29 am

Dazen wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:36 am
While they are at it, please make the scales removable like the Province. A must for any non stainless!
oooo agreed
EDC Rotation: PITS, Shaman, CF S90v Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Lil Native, Sage 5 LW, Ouroboros, 4V Shaman, Watu
Always in Pocket: Hawkbill Dragonfly 2 H1
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Smallfly G10, Squarehead LW, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native
Would like to own again: Sheepsfoot Caribbean
Wishlist: CQI Kapara, Tanto PM2, Shaman Sprints!


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Cali HogHead, Enactive, Giygas, Google [Bot], legOFwhat?, Majestic-12 [Bot], Mushroom and 29 guests