A sudden itch for V-Toku2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TkoK83Spy

A sudden itch for V-Toku2

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I'm debating on the Dragonfly from the secondary market...which is really about the same price as the Stretch 2 version. I don't have a need for another knife the size of the Stretch, which is why I was interested in the Dragonfly version, which I've never owned any Dragonfly model to this point.

Then I got to thinking, maybe I'll give the Manbug a try at half the price, and basically half the knife. Got my wife a Ladybug a few months back and think it's such a cool little knife that I wouldn't mind giving the Manbug a try. Seems like a perfect fit for the coin pocket of my jeans.

What do you think...a Dragonfly for around $100 or the Manbug with some rewards points for around $45-$50??

Either model will be a new experience for me!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
The Meat man

Re: A sudden itch for V-Toku2

Post by The Meat man »

I'd say if you really want to experience the steel go with the Dragonfly. It's a bigger knife, easier to use hard, a little more of an EDC knife in my opinion.

However the Manbug is nothing to sneeze at either. (I have 3.) The Manbug's cutting edge is identical to the Dragonfly, so you lose nothing there; it's also pretty much weightless and the most pocketable Spyderco I have ever owned. As you said, great for the coin pocket.

Realistically speaking, a Manbug would take care of 90% of all my EDC needs. But if I was trying to get a taste of the steel, I'd opt for the Dragonfly.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

I just got the Stretch V-toku the other day and man, does it take a sharp edge lol
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Take your pick Rick. I have both in V-Toku 2. I haven't used the Dragonfly much but that's because I carry my HAP40 DF quite often. FWIW, the Dragonfly works well in the coin pocket too. I take the clip off for that roll only because I don't like the clip hanging down when I want to get the bigger knife out of my right front pocket.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
blendergasket

Post by blendergasket »

I just got a Hap40 dragonfly and instantly fell in love with it.= I'm used to the Urban but the dragonfly with its lock and the thinner blade stock makes this thing a great slicer. I have big hands and it fits pretty well.
Username827

Post by Username827 »

I have 2 Dragonflies and one Manbug. There is a reason I gave my Daughter my beloved Hap40 Dragonfly. Yes, the price maybe a bit of a shock, but it really is one of my favorite designs. Nothing against the Manbug, I just do not carry it as much anymore
AmpliFyre

Post by AmpliFyre »

https://omahaknife.com/spyderco/750-c28 ... oku-2.html
where i got mine, looks to be in stock still.
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

Scratch that itch and go for a V-Toku2.
I got one and the knife rocks

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=83091

Id choose the DF over the Manbug.
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

I Have a vtoku 2 manbug on my keychain, i never use It because i always carry a real knife,:P
(I'm contemplating on upgrading my keychainknife to a DF)
i would go for the DF it's Way more useable, at least to me. I Have the delica and stretch in vtoku2 to. Great steel, like the Way It patinas :)
Size comparison
Size comparison
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Funny to see the Dragonfly look a big knife! Amazed that the 2 of them have the same length cutting edge. Obviously the DF is a better choice as an actual daily user though. Buying a DF would give my Chap LW a run for it's money as my small, daily folder. Thanks for that comparison photo.

-Rick
Joey

Post by Joey »

The manbug for me, is a novelty. It can cut things, and is useable, but it isn’t anything like the knives you’ve seen. If you haven’t held one, I’d look for a side by side comparing to something you have held before ordering.
The Dragonfly 2 is a knife that will give you so much more, yet it still fits in a mans smallest pocket (unless you have some weird pants). It’s that simple!

As for V-toku2, I really like it, and have spent as much time with it as I have VG10 (which admittedly still isn’t a lot compared to some people here). It sharpens easily enough, and seems to take a patina easily as well, if you’re into that. I don’t like the idea of a non-cladded blade with a patina, but these cladded steels look excellent with the contrasting steel colors.
Attachments
D505222C-4721-4957-942C-A69DD4044C09.jpeg
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

My wife has a Ladybug on her keychain, I thought the Manbug would be a bit larger...but based in the YouTube videos I've seen, they are pretty much the same size.

I'm also a big fan of the patina this steel provides! One of the main reasons I'd like to give it a try. Having a hard time justifying $100 on a Dragonfly at the moment though :confused:

One of my personal favorites here. Love that look at the laminate line!!

cU6VAaUh.jpg

-Rick
Joey

Post by Joey »

So you’ve got experience with those little bugs, you may be alright with a manbug in V-toku2! It would certainly save you some cash. Initially I was into that idea, a cheap manbug to try a patina on. I even bought one, but sold it. It’s too small for me.
If you wanted a Dragonfly, you may need to look at it as more than just a tool. I have noticed you like to use most if not all of your knives, but you also can clearly the value/excitement over a sprint run. $100 is a lot for most any knife in my opinion, yet the majority of my knives cost me more than that :P
In 6 months I wouldn’t be surprised if you couldn’t find one for less than $125. It’s a great steel, it just doesn’t have a cool name like “super” something.

Edit:I was going to mention Hap40, seems you have that covered! You can still get an Orange Delica for cheap if you like the wharncliffe shape, but a dragonfly or manbug will be outrageous.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I succumbed to temptation. Grabbed the Dragonfly for $90!

-Rick
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

Gratz, Great Little knife, thats almost what It Costs in norway. :)
I paid102.5 $ :(
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Definitely excited for a new, small carry option besides my Chap LW. In a steel I've never tried, but has always caught my attention!

Thanks for all the input and suggestions guys. The pics of the DF's and especially the comparison photo really helped make the decision much easier.

-Rick
Joey

Post by Joey »

Nice, I think that you’re going to love it. The blue/grey color is a neat look. I’ve been thinking about stonewashing my hardware/blade to give it a darker overall appearance.
I wish they’d release a Dragonfly 2 with DLC coating. Imagine that with a natural/jade G10 (possibly with a smooth texture).
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

There is no accounting for taste. A jade DLC - brrrrrrr - is the last knife I would buy.
Joey

Post by Joey »

I don’t see why not. Unless you’re not a fan of DLC, you can dye the natural G10 any color.
Thinking more about it, I imagine it would most likely be TiCN coating. Sal mentioned getting G10 to Japan isn’t cheap as well, so price would go up. But for those who like a coated blade, it seems like a win seeing is how it would most likely come with a new steel (for the model) as well, like XHP or M390 for example (plenty of others to choose from if you “couldn’t possibly have another M390/20CV/204P”).
I get it, we’ve had plenty of jade DLC from BHQ lately, but coming from someone who likes a black blade, I think the Dragonfly 2 is begging for one. At the very least we need a blacked out salt Dragonfly 2, IMO.
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

Joey wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:22 am
I don’t see why not. Unless you’re not a fan of DLC, you can dye the natural G10 any color.
Thinking more about it, I imagine it would most likely be TiCN coating. Sal mentioned getting G10 to Japan isn’t cheap as well, so price would go up. But for those who like a coated blade, it seems like a win seeing is how it would most likely come with a new steel (for the model) as well, like XHP or M390 for example (plenty of others to choose from if you “couldn’t possibly have another M390/20CV/204P”).
I get it, we’ve had plenty of jade DLC from BHQ lately, but coming from someone who likes a black blade, I think the Dragonfly 2 is begging for one. At the very least we need a blacked out salt Dragonfly 2, IMO.
Neither a fan of coated blades nor jade handles.
To each his own.