Casual Sage 5 Lightweight reveal

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Re: Casual Sage 5 Lightweight reveal

Post by sal »

The advantages of a LW Sage are variety and lower cost to mfr. We can offer colors, exclusives, different steels or grinds (like that high hollow). Eric wanted to use a Compression lock due to it's current popularity.

sal
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

sal wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:19 pm
The advantages of a LW Sage are variety and lower cost to mfr. We can offer colors, exclusives, different steels or grinds (like that high hollow). Eric wanted to use a Compression lock due to it's current popularity.

sal
Sal,

Has Spyderco used a high hollow grind before? I'd love to see what that would look like. Speaking of, I think it is great that I can go to Spyderco.com and search for any knife that you have produced. It is fun to look at models that I never knew existed.
navin johnson

Post by navin johnson »

Would love to see a lightweight back lock for stay closed bias.
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

p_atrick wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:23 pm
Has Spyderco used a high hollow grind before? I'd love to see what that would look like. Speaking of, I think it is great that I can go to Spyderco.com and search for any knife that you have produced. It is fun to look at models that I never knew existed.
The Gayle Bradley is what first comes to mind of a Spyderco with a high-hallow grind.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I did not really look at this thread till right now and so was not aware of an upcoming sage lw! Personally, I´d prefer that knife over the Para 3 lw no doubt! A bit shorter when closed but still a tiny bit more edge; thinner stock while still having a stronger tip than the Para 3 (presumably).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

navin johnson wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:40 pm
I'd love to see this as well. The Chaparral LW proved how thin and light it can be. PM2 LW Backlock would be my personal dream.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:04 am
I did not really look at this thread till right now and so was not aware of an upcoming sage lw! Personally, I´d prefer that knife over the Para 3 lw no doubt! A bit shorter when closed but still a tiny bit more edge; thinner stock while still having a stronger tip than the Para 3 (presumably).
Agreed, I like everything about the Sage5 better than the Para3 other than the spine.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

abbazaba wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:39 am
navin johnson wrote:
I'd love to see this as well. The Chaparral LW proved how thin and light it can be. PM2 LW Backlock would be my personal dream.
Technically I think if you go not only light but also really thin it has to be a backlock...(which I prefer anyway).
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

abbazaba wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:40 am
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:04 am
Agreed, I like everything about the Sage5 better than the Para3 other than the spine.
I guess you mean you prefer the shape of the Para's spine (so straight), not the thickness?

/ I actually like the curved spine of a leaf shaped blade, but have to admit that it "eats" pocket space.
David R

Post by David R »

jimmd wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:16 am
Marulaghost wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:23 am
I'd call the sage 5 different enough from the para3 to warrant a LW version

S30v in comparison to bd1n.
Fits different in the pocket.
Slightly different ergonomics.
Different aesthetics.

Most of all I'd call the sage 5 a thicker chaparral with a comp lock
For me the most important difference is the blade thickness. The Sage 5’s blade stock thickness is 3 mm compared to 3.7 mm on the Para 3. My Sage 5’s blade is 0.019 inches behind the edge. For knives of this size, I prefer them thinner.
I'm with you. I generally prefer a thinner blade and carry the Chapparal quite a bit. I will absolutely be getting a Sage 5 Lightweight so see how it compares to the Sage 1 and 5 in my pocket.

I know this discussions is about the Sage. But the Drunken in that video just looks fantastic.
ctrikard

Post by ctrikard »

abbazaba wrote:
navin johnson wrote:
I don't understand why anyone would prefer a backlock when there are so many better options available now days. The lockback knives should be extinct. They're difficult to use. Hurt your fingers especially on the chap because it's so thin. And they're just old and outdated and theres really no reason or excuse to use them now days other than for manufacturers to save themselves money during production. I would be over the moon if spyderco and every knife manufacturer on the planet done away completely with the backlocks. So many spydercos that I would love to own but will never own because of those terrible locks. I dont mean any offense to anyone who likes them or spyderco but they really are ridiculous. And unnecessary. People claim that they're stronger locks but who needs a folding knife with a lock that strong? What are you doing with it? Nothing that requires a lock that takes 1000 pounds of force to fail. And if you are then you're doing it wrong. Buy a fixed blade. I just hope they use xhp or something cheaper for the lw sage. To keep the cost lower. Because if they're gonna charge us 120 dollars for a lw sage 5 with s30v then I guess theres really no point in even making it because the sage 5 is already light. It only weighs 3 ounces. So I wouldn't see the point in making a lw just for a few dollars less. Hopefully itll be right below 100 dollars with xhp just like the chapparal.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ctrikard wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:25 am
abbazaba wrote:
navin johnson wrote:
I don't understand why anyone would prefer a backlock when there are so many better options available now days. The lockback knives should be extinct. They're difficult to use. Hurt your fingers especially on the chap because it's so thin. And they're just old and outdated and theres really no reason or excuse to use them now days other than for manufacturers to save themselves money during production. I would be over the moon if spyderco and every knife manufacturer on the planet done away completely with the backlocks. So many spydercos that I would love to own but will never own because of those terrible locks. I dont mean any offense to anyone who likes them or spyderco but they really are ridiculous. And unnecessary. People claim that they're stronger locks but who needs a folding knife with a lock that strong? What are you doing with it? Nothing that requires a lock that takes 1000 pounds of force to fail. And if you are then you're doing it wrong. Buy a fixed blade. I just hope they use xhp or something cheaper for the lw sage. To keep the cost lower. Because if they're gonna charge us 120 dollars for a lw sage 5 with s30v then I guess theres really no point in even making it because the sage 5 is already light. It only weighs 3 ounces. So I wouldn't see the point in making a lw just for a few dollars less. Hopefully itll be right below 100 dollars with xhp just like the chapparal.
Wow, that's a really strong dislike for backlocks.. ;) .

No offense, but I guess I like that kind of lock as strongly as you dislike it...

"Ridiculous" "unnecessary" and "should be extinct"... your opinion, and certainly ok as such, but quite harsh words.

Really, lockbacks are my favorite knives, work and work and work without any maintenance like forever, and for me a backlock is as easy to use (one handed) as most other locks. Plus, it's really still usable with cold hands or when wearing gloves. And honestly, I carry backlocks more than 90 % of the time, use my knives frequently but my finger never hurts...

If Spyderco would produce a backlock Military or PM2, I would prefer those clearly over the existing models.

But, concluding: To each their own, I am happy to enjoy my lockback knives and hope that YOU are enjoying the ones you prefer... :)
Last edited by Wartstein on Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Welcome to the forum ctrikard.

I enjoy variety and most locks, but after a lifetime of using all different kinds, I've come full circle to appreciate the elegant simplicity and user friendly nature of a back lock. It also allows for a thin and linerless knife, which along with the self close bias are some of the reasons people would like to see this.
ctrikard

Post by ctrikard »

I can definately appreciate that some people like it. And I understand why they use it. I just am not a fan. I dont mind an extra ounce of weight or maybe a little more that liners will add. I carry a manix every day. The g10 version so I dont mind the weight. In the summer in shorts I carry my sage 5 or my bugout. Both are fine examples of lighter weight models and the bugout is a perfect example of a great lock with minimal liners and one of the lightest weights for a 3 inch knife in existence. So you dont need a backlock for thin stock knives. Stock on the bugout is .09". Even the new benchmade freek has no liners and still uses the axis lock and that's a pretty large knife. I'm the opposite of you I suppose. I love the pm2 the way it is and the sage and the manix. Also the new CL on the smock is fantastic. I love the direction spyderco is headed with the cl in the new para 3 and the sage 5. The ease of use is important to me. Less important than strength even though the cbbl and compression lock are probably just as strong as the LB and easier to use quickly. The manix 2 lw is linerless as well with a cbbl and fairly thin stock at .125 and this could be made thinner just by scaling down the size of the lock or simply just by using thicker washers like the sage 5. I'd really love to see the native 5 with a compression lock or a cbbl. That is the knife I'm truly hoping for one day. As well as a native 5 design in a fixed blade model. But to each their own and I know spyderco cant please us all even though it looks as if they do try. And I'm grateful for that.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

abbazaba wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:18 am
Welcome to the forum ctrikard.

I enjoy variety and most locks, but after a lifetime of using all different kinds, I've come full circle to appreciate the elegant simplicity and user friendly nature of a back lock. It also allows for a thin and linerless knife, which along with the self close bias are some of the reasons people would like to see this.
Not to mention the fact that they're truly ambidextrous, easy to operate one-handed (if you know how to do it), and strong. The statement that manufacturers use them to save themselves money is not necessarily true, at least in Spyderco's case. From what Sal has said a well-executed back-lock is harder to implement than most people think.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
ctrikard

Post by ctrikard »

ASmitty wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:23 am
mayong wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:17 am
As excited as I am for the Para 3 lightweight, I'm even more so for a Sage 5 lightweight. I hope this thing makes it to production!
For Eric to have it in pocket, it means they have to have spent the money on the molds for the FRN handles. That pretty much guarantees that we'll see it at some point.
Yes exactly. I make molds for a living. They are extremely labor intensive and complicated designs that take hours of machining and grinding and polishing in most cases to bring to life. They are very expensive to manufacture and I assume spyderco pays someone else to design and build these molds and to have the handles made at another company I imagine. They might do it themselves but either way its very expensive so I doubt they would invest in the mold for the sage 5 scales if they weren't very serious about producing it.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I also love me a good back lock knife. Yea, it may not be as fun to fiddle with if that's your thing. But, as a user...that loud "snap/thunk" of the knife locking up, that's music to my ears. Also a solid reminder that the knife is safe for me to use.

My first couple Spyderco knives were compression locks and cbbl's. Told myself I have no need for a back lock. Then I got my Delica Pakkawood and it totally changed my mind. Followed that up with a Centofante, Chaparral, SE Endura, SE Salt 2 and Dragonfly.

Nice entry post to the forum haha :confused:

Back on topic...I'm wondering how much this knife is going to be? With the Para 3 LW coming in around $92 I believe, what are we thinking for this one...$110-120??
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

I got the Sage 5 over the Para 3 because I prefer the blade shape and the clip, as well as the handles. And in terms of pure utility, the Sage 5 is probably my best knife (size, blade shape, steel, handle/ergos, lock, etc.), though not necessarily my favorite (way up there though).

But man... FRN Sage 5? That's even more appealing to me than the Chaparral LW. If the price is right around $110 or so, that's just about an unbeatable value for $100+ the same way the Chaparral LW is for <$100. I can't wait to see this one in the wild.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
pinepig2

Post by pinepig2 »

ctrikard wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:25 am
I don't understand why anyone would prefer a backlock when there are so many better options available now days. The lockback knives should be extinct. They're difficult to use.
At one time I thought the compression lock was the end-all in knife locks, but like abbazaba above I've come full circle and now have a preference for back locks. I had a PM2 open in my pocket once or twice, that won't happen with a back lock because there is spring tension holding the blade closed versus just a detent. They are also comfortable and super-intuitive to use, won't accidentally activate no matter how you hold/twist the knife, and I've come to prefer the closed-back on back lock knives as well. I do agree that the Chaparral blade/lock is too thin for a comfortable back lock. I sold mine pretty quick because of that. Otherwise, I can't find a fault with a well-engineered back lock. I guess they wouldn't work with a flipper, but I don't care for flippers so that's more of a positive trait in my book! :)

The new Golden back locks are sweet! Spyderco just hasn't made a knife with that lock that I'm in love with yet. The Native 5 is a bit too small. New Native Chief it too big. And neither offers nested liners. My dream knife is a Golden-made Stretch 1 with a straight-spine blade. The Stretch 1 is never coming back, and it wouldn't be made in the USA anyway, so this will always be an unfulfilled dream.
Last edited by pinepig2 on Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pinepig2

Post by pinepig2 »

On the topic of the Sage 5 LW, besides having fallen out of love with the compression lock, I wish the Sage series wasn't locked into S30V. I was hoping the Sage series might migrate to a different steel, something less chip-prone. S35VN seemed like the obvious possibility, but Spyderco seems to be regressing in that regard since the Native changed to S30V.

Anyway, I really like my Sage 2 and plan on keeping it for a long time. At this point it's looking like that might be the beginning and end of my Sage journey.