What do you do when Super Blue gets super wet?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Thunderpants

What do you do when Super Blue gets super wet?

Post by Thunderpants »

I'm very glad I picked up a Super Blue Calypso, cos it's a nice shape, lightweight, and basically seems to me like a locking Urban.
I knew going in the blade would be very sensitive to liquids and sure enough, after slicing a few plums and bits of ginger, I have some patina blossoming nicely.
So far, I have only got the sharp end of the blade wet. I'm kind of nervous about letting liquid anywhere near the insides as I imagine the insides will be impossible to dry properly. The last thing I need is an expensive stick of rust, so I am being a bit of a chicken EDCing this thing - I hate to carry a knife I'm afraid to use in the rain!
If a Super Blue Spyderco does get completely wet, what's the procedure?
Dee

Re: What do you do when Super Blue gets super wet?

Post by Dee »

Thunder,
Shoot it full of WD 40 and set it on end somewhere to drain for a day.
Dee
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

As above, only i'd rinse it with very hot tap water first.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Rain isn't that big of a deal with carbon steels. Simply dry them out and you're good to go. Compressed air works great on folders.

The things you need to watch out for are more corrosive liquids, like body sweat and acidic foods. Those you'll want to rinse off ASAP.
:unicorn
Thunderpants

Post by Thunderpants »

Great, thanks people!
Looking forward to EDCing this less cautiously. It's such a beautiful little knife.
Markana

Post by Markana »

Put your knife in the window.Sun will dry it out.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

As mentioned rain won’t be much a problem, and if it does get wet enough that you’re worried WD40. I often carry carbon steel traditional knives. If I get a new one in the summer when I’ll be sweating a lot, I’ll “rush” a patina by purposely not wiping off right after cutting some fruit. Also I make sure the fruit has gotten all over the blade. The patina then protects it from pitting and rusting.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

The old trick of old with grandaddy’s pocket knife was to stick the blade in a potato over night to get the patina right away.
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

I agree about hot water. Dries much faster that way. If you don't have compressed air, you can also snap out retained moisture by putting the knife inside a rolled-up towel and pulling hard on both ends to snap the towel tight.

The knife should be closed and the towel should be something you don't care much about, of course. I've had knives with weak closure detent come open, but I don't think I've ever cut a towel.
jdw

Post by jdw »

Markana wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:50 am
Put your knife in the window.Sun will dry it out.
^^^this^^^
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Calicoast

Post by Calicoast »

I was buying cans or compressed air, but they are not cheap. I started using my pocket bellows for starting fires, works well to get water out. It's like a collapsible antenna that focuses air to a specific area. You can find them on online.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I use a blower for cleaning camera sensors to blow the water out of the pivot area.

https://www.amazon.com/Giottos-AA1900-R ... B00017LSPI
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
mayong

Post by mayong »

I also use compressed air to blow most of the water out, then finish with a hair dryer on low to help evaporation.

If you do use a hair dryer, be careful not to heat the knife up too much so that materials might be affected by the change in temp. I usually hold the knife in a bare hand to make sure it stays warm and not hot.
Police | Calypso | Caly 3 & 3.5 | PM 2 | Para 3 | UKPK | Endura | Dragonfly | Sage 2 | Sage 5

"While this test doesn't simulate any logical use of a knife as a tool, since it was a concern of some of our customers, we began incorporating it into our testing protocols." - Michael Janich
vivi

Post by vivi »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:02 am
The old trick of old with grandaddy’s pocket knife was to stick the blade in a potato over night to get the patina right away.
This works well with mango too. I do this to knives when I want some extra corrosion resistance right out of the box, like a carbon steel backpacking knife that might not see much use until a week long excursion.
:unicorn