My choice: I went with the Salt 2 Wharncliffe.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: My choice: I went with the Salt 2 Wharncliffe.

Post by Evil D »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:35 pm
Evil D wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:04 pm
I'm still not convinced that sharpening is enough to work harden H1. I also don't see why there can't be some kind of grinding process applied to PE to get this increased work hardened edge. Would a similar chisel grind PE see the same hardening? I have talked to a couple guys who had PE H1 knives reground thinner and FFG but say they saw no difference in edge retention.
Like I mentionend in my post above: I really can't imagine that a regular sharpening could create NEW work hardening to H1... When I figure how light the applied pressure is while doing a touch up on a sharpmaker, how could this ever work- harden a blade?

I don't get it either. It's hard to argue when guys like Ed Schempp say it happens. Maybe we don't sharpen hard enough I dunno
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

I just did a little online research and read that work hardening is due to plastic deformation of the crystalline lattices in the steel. This is happening at the microscopic level where the tool grinding the serration contacts the steel. There can be a difference in a given blade of RC of 60’s in the serrations and low 50’s at the spine of the blade. I’m guessing as you sharpen you affect the crystalline lattices and the hardness of the blade is increased only in a layer a few molecules deep. However that’s where all the slicing takes place, when you cut something. I hope Sal or Larrin weigh in here soon and explain it better.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

I probably have read most if not all threads on H1 SE vs PE, work hardening, etc. here and over BF. That doesn’t make me an expert but I just cannot find conclusive answers on the work hardening part. If sharpening causes it, why not on PE?

Aside from initial claim of making SE teeth work hardened it more than PE, I cannot find more explanation that helps to understand Evil D inquiry and several observations by Lance that PE part of the SE blade (near the tip of Pac salt for example), performs same as normal H1 PE blade, or whether it will be less or more hard when a user sharpens the SE teeth which means wearing away that work hardened steel, or the less performance observed when SE is converted to PE (Lance’ Atlantic Salt). What is the effect of FFG ing a H1 blade with belt, does it result in work hardening (IIRC not by those who tried).

I suspect the unique toughness property of H1 combined with the curvature of the teeth is what makes H1 SE special. This inward curve means every point along the edge is supported at the back by more steel (>1 point).A straight PE wharncliffe edge as comparison is supported by same (1:1 relationship) point of steel and a bellied edge is supported by less steel (<1). During cutting (or sharpening SE) the edge apex is under pressure and the inward support that edge gets may temporarily work hardened it (?). The same geometry applied to other steel crystalline structures may not have this hardening effect.

Probably, IDK, it’s just my speculation.
Last edited by anagarika on Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris :spyder:
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

SEF,

Congratulations! You don’t need wharncliffe Atlantic Salt anymore. ;)
Chris :spyder:
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

anagarika wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:13 am
SEF,

Congratulations! You don’t need wharncliffe Atlantic Salt anymore. ;)
Thanks! But the Wharncliffe Atlantic Salt is still a great design :)

I really hope Spyderco makes one with a longer blade.