JD Spydos Ballistol Spa

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mom3ntuM

JD Spydos Ballistol Spa

Post by Mom3ntuM »

Spreading the gospel Of Joe. :)
Before
Before
After
After
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean
Mom3ntuM

Re: JD Spydos Ballistol Spa

Post by Mom3ntuM »

Good as New.
Dry, pocket ready :)
Dry, pocket ready :)
James Dean
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

All I can say is that I've been in love with the stuff for a few years now. I had two older Spyders ( RENEGADE & BLACKHAWK) that I got in a trade>> they were used and extremely faded and just out of curiosity I tried the BALLISTOL and at the time I had 3 other products I was going to try as well. The BALLISTOL made both G-10 handles on those older models look virtually new. It also seemed to actually heal up scratches and dings on the material as well.

I most generally use a toothbrush ( preferrably soft bristle but not totally necessary) and gently rub it in with several strokes. I just tried some two days ago on an old wood handle and it seemed to help it a lot as well. I truly think that product is overlooked and under-appreciated for all it is capable of. I'm really glad our Brother here is also having great results with it as well.
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

I've used It on wood and leather. Cleans up and smoothes out minor scratches on leather to.
1552137383197573.jpg
James Dean
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Another option that is probably a bit less messy is Mr Clean Magic Eraser. I just cleaned up 5 of my knives G10 scales last weekend and was quite impressed. Just another way to go about it. Those scales look great though!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

I love ballistol, the smell not so much.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I need to get some ballistol for my REX 45 Military.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

The Meat man wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:28 am
Hopefully it can help restore a bit of color to your scales. Still surprised that had happened when you boiled them. Post up some before and after pics if you give the Ballistol a try.

-Rick
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:34 am
The Meat man wrote:
Hopefully it can help restore a bit of color to your scales. Still surprised that had happened when you boiled them. Post up some before and after pics if you give the Ballistol a try.

I'll do that. Yes, the faded color bothers me more than I thought it would. :rolleyes:
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I like Ballistol. I use to clean the barrel of my M1A.
But, man does it have a PUNGENT odor lol. Whew.....
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:47 am
Another option that is probably a bit less messy is Mr Clean Magic Eraser. I just cleaned up 5 of my knives G10 scales last weekend and was quite impressed. Just another way to go about it. Those scales look great though!
I kind of see what you're saying "Spy" but how on earth can a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser treat the G-10 material and restore it's original color and luster :confused: ? If it's just mere cleaning you're talking about I can sort of see it but I'm mainly talking about treating, preserving and restoring G-10 and other various materials with BALLISTOL. Oh Ballistol does also clean for sure but that's only one of several things it's good for.

Now I will look into using the Magic Eraser with Ballistol to clean with>> I can maybe see how that might work. But all the Magic Eraser products I've ever used simply seem to only work as a scrubbing device. I'll do some thinking on that one but I still don't see how this would be advantageous :confused: Maybe you can clear up my confusion because I just don't get the main thrust of what you're talking about.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MacLaren wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:41 am
I like Ballistol. I use to clean the barrel of my M1A.
But, man does it have a PUNGENT odor lol. Whew.....
Yeah you've got a point there for sure. However I've found that after storing a knife with a G-10 handle after doing a treatment with BALLISTOL that over time the odor doe dissipate to a large degree. The trade off is more that worth it to me because of the great effect it has on G-10 material especially.

Also BaLLISTOL doesn't solidify or varnish up like WD-40 does over time. Ballistol has a lot of great properties and is ideal for dozens of uses.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Hey Joe,

There's a few videos out there on YouTube of people using the Magic Eraser to clean dirt and grime off of G10 scales. Not necessarily restoring, just simply cleaning.

A little warm water to the eraser, scrub the scales and then wipe the scales off...as the eraser can leave some small white particles of the eraser behind. I waited until the scales dried up, hit them with some compressed air and wiped them a bit with a cotton tee shirt, good as new!

-Rick
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The Meat man wrote:
Yeah the G-10 handles on my C-36 Military models are all great grades of G-10 and they have all responded well to BALLISTOL treatments. The sooner you treat G-10 handles with BALLISTOL the better IMO.

I do think that for the most part the G-10 they use on the GOLDEN, CO USA Earth models seems to be a really high grade of G-10. Albeit the G-10 handle they used on the C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run of 2011 was also a really good grade.

What the one Brother said about using BALLISTOL on wood has been a good tip as well. I have some lawn/landscaping tools a friend gave me with really weathered wooden handles and it's worked a miracle on one of them already. In the past I've loved "raw" linseed oil on wooden tool handles but the results I've seen already of what BALLISTOL also does on wood is very encouraging to say the least.

I'm open to any suggestions to what this great product might be used for.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:00 pm
Hey Joe,

There's a few videos out there on YouTube of people using the Magic Eraser to clean dirt and grime off of G10 scales. Not necessarily restoring, just simply cleaning.

A little warm water to the eraser, scrub the scales and then wipe the scales off...as the eraser can leave some small white particles of the eraser behind. I waited until the scales dried up, hit them with some compressed air and wiped them a bit with a cotton tee shirt, good as new!
Oh I'm not in the least debating that at all. I have had some really good results using Magic Erasers along with "Bar Keeper's Friend" cleanser restoring corroded blades and old Revere Ware cookware I've bought cheap at thrift stores with amazing results.

I've never disputed the Magic Eraser as a "cleaning tool" at all. But the main topic on the use of BALLISTOL that I'm driving at is it's great restoring properties by using it on G-10 and several other materials. I mainly just use a soft bristle toothbrush working BALLISTOL into the material. It does have somewhat of a cleaning effect as well but mainly it's properties for restoration of weathered, faded polymer material like G-10 are remarkable.

But I do see the point you're trying to make as far as Magic Erasers being a great cleaning aid on certain types of cleaning jobs and they are a great cleaning product on certain jobs for sure.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I started using Ballistol after chatting with a Shimano fishing reels service technician. I’ve used it since an all my reels and I’m very happy with the results. :)

It obviously works well at cleaning and restoring G10 though I’m a little sceptical on using in on leather and wonder about the long term effect.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:09 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Hey Joe,

Oh I'm not in the least debating that at all. I have had some really good results using Magic Erasers along with "Bar Keeper's Friend" cleanser restoring corroded blades and old Revere Ware cookware I've bought cheap at thrift stores with amazing results.

I've never disputed the Magic Eraser as a "cleaning tool" at all. But the main topic on the use of BALLISTOL that I'm driving at is it's great restoring properties by using it on G-10 and several other materials. I mainly just use a soft bristle toothbrush working BALLISTOL into the material. It does have somewhat of a cleaning effect as well but mainly it's properties for restoration of weathered, faded polymer material like G-10 are remarkable.

But I do see the point you're trying to make as far as Magic Erasers being a great cleaning aid on certain types of cleaning jobs and they are a great cleaning product on certain jobs for sure.
Just curious jd, what after the brush. Does it evaporate? Hit it with a paper towel? Soap and water after?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SF Native wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:27 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:09 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Hey Joe,

Just curious jd, what after the brush. Does it evaporate? Hit it with a paper towel? Soap and water after?
I just then blot off the excess with a paper towel. Or if it's a major restoration job I'll wrap it in a soft cloth for a day or so to absorb all the excess liquid. But most of the time when I treat G-10 or even an old Micarta handle most of it gets absorbed into the material.

Also another good aspect of BALLISTOL is that it has some waterproofing properties to it.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Bloke wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:23 pm
I started using Ballistol after chatting with a Shimano fishing reels service technician. I’ve used it since an all my reels and I’m very happy with the results. :)

It obviously works well at cleaning and restoring G10 though I’m a little sceptical on using in on leather and wonder about the long term effect.
Yeah my jury is still out on leather treatment with Ballistol myself. There are so many great leather products out there as it is that I just don't even see myself using it for that type of job. For leather I've just had the very best results using the "Propert" line of products. The "Propert" saddle soap is by far the best saddle soap I've ever used on leather. There's not even a close second on that type of job. Propert's Saddle Soap not only does an excellent job of cleaning but it really keeps leather soft and pliable for a long time and in almost factory new condition.

But I am already liking the results of using BALLISTOL on old wood tool handles. I think I'm going to do a side by side comparison using BALLISTOL and "raw linseed oil" that I've been using for years with great results to see what if any improvement it might have.
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

I Will continue to use It on leather, Will report back when/if the longterm damage appears :)
James Dean