Minor Advocate Mod

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Meat man

Minor Advocate Mod

Post by The Meat man »

One day last year I splurged and spent more money on a knife than I ever had before - the Spyderco CQI Advocate.

I really like this knife and I've used it quite a bit. It's very smooth, flawless F&F, just a beautifully made knife. There was one small thing I didn't like about it though, and that was the lockbar insert's edge was uncomfortably sharp.

My hands are pretty strong and tough, but a stiff lockbar + sharp edged insert = painful thumb regardless of how tough I thought I was. :D

Tonight, I decided to try to remedy the situation. I disassembled the knife for the first time and removed the lockbar insert, and spent maybe 10 minutes with some diamond stones, rounding the edge. After cleaning everything up (including the very cool little washer bearings), and applying a few strategic drops of Nano Oil, I reassembled the knife and inspected my handiwork:

Problem fixed! Now it's much more comfortable, and I feel like I will use and enjoy this fine knife even more.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Mako109

Re: Minor Advocate Mod

Post by Mako109 »

I always use my index finger to release lock bars so never noticed. Now that you mention it, yeah the edge can be little bit hard on the thumb. Glad it's an easy fix. Those little mods that can make a big difference.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Mako109 wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:21 pm
I always use my index finger to release lock bars so never noticed. Now that you mention it, yeah the edge can be little bit hard on the thumb. Glad it's an easy fix. Those little mods that can make a big difference.

Do you use two hands to unlock framelocks? I'd do that sometimes with the Advocate just because of the sharp edge.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

The Meat man wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:14 am
Mako109 wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:21 pm

Do you use two hands to unlock framelocks? I'd do that sometimes with the Advocate just because of the sharp edge.
Nah, just one hand. Since my index finger is already on the lock bar, just use my finger tip to disengage the lock (thumb on the blade for a little counter leverage), then rotate my hand and close the blade with either index finger or thumb on blade spine. It's a two step process which is my preferred method. Don't like free droppers because accidents happen especially when working fast. I rather use the two step method to ensure a deliberate closure.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Never had a problem with a sharp edge on mine. If I did I'd likely break the edge just like you did.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

The Meat man wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:22 pm
Problem fixed! Now it's much more comfortable, and I feel like I will use and enjoy this fine knife even more.
Love your work, Connor! You’re an Ideas Man. :cool:

Monkey see, monkey do, mate. :rolleyes:

The blade has a 45deg bevel at the lock face that the detent ball engages when the lock is disengaged. While I had the knife apart I closed that angle to about 35deg perhaps (don’t know why I didn’t take a pic) which gives the detent ball a lower lead angle and that seems to have made a difference too.

I know you use Nano oil and I bought some too but I ended up using Ace2 grease like I always do. Ah, hahaha!

I used a little Ace2 in the lanyard tube pockets in the scales too so for now the lanyard tube doesn’t rattle anymore either. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Are these CQI advocates heavily loctited? Do they have a D shaped pivot?
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Bloke wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:25 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:22 pm
Love your work, Connor! You’re an Ideas Man. :cool:

Monkey see, monkey do, mate. :rolleyes:

The blade has a 45deg bevel at the lock face that the detent ball engages when the lock is disengaged. While I had the knife apart I closed that angle to about 35deg perhaps (don’t know why I didn’t take a pic) which gives the detent ball a lower lead angle and that seems to have made a difference too.

I know you use Nano oil and I bought some too but I ended up using Ace2 grease like I always do. Ah, hahaha!

I used a little Ace2 in the lanyard tube pockets in the scales too so for now the lanyard tube doesn’t rattle anymore either. :)
Looks great Alex! ;)

How do you like the Advocate? I should get mine out again. Autonomy 2 has been hogging all my pocket time. :)
- Connor

Bloke

Post by Bloke »

ABX2011 wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:59 pm
Are these CQI advocates heavily loctited? Do they have a D shaped pivot?
Hey ABX, all screws were locked but they came undone easy enough. It goes without saying but proceed with caution as they are small screws and if you use more torque than perpendicular down thrust on the driver it could potentially end in tears.

The pivot pin is indeed a “D” and even though it has a driver pocket at the lock side of the scales it can only be adjusted or removed via the opposite scale, The side the Spyderco Bug is on. :)
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Thanks Bloke!
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

The Meat man wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:12 pm
Looks great Alex! ;)

How do you like the Advocate? I should get mine out again. Autonomy 2 has been hogging all my pocket time. :)
Thanks mate! I used a Lansky blade clamp as a vice and basically polished a radius on the edge.

As you know I’m not adverse to tuning folders and this one was no exception. I was curious about the thrust washers the bearings run on and as expected the washers are punched and consequently a little dished.

Before and after shots of both sides, off a 2000grit Shapton Pro stone.

Flat stones don’t lie. ;)

Anyhow, It’s all assembled now with pivot and bearings greased and the detent hole in the blade filled flush with grease too.

The knife feels way better, Connor. I can’t feel or hear the bearings anymore and without polishing the detent ball track I can’t feel or hear that grating either. I really like the knife and I’ve carried and played with it since I reassembled it. I did a little whittling with it and found it surprisingly comfortable and at one stage found myself subconsciously chocking up with my index finger forward of the flipper tab in a comfortable grip. :cool:

I’d have given the knife three stars when I first got it but now ... easy four and half. Ah, hahaha! :)
sok

Post by sok »

Looks good. As long as the action on mine is good, I am not going to take it apart. But when I do tear it down to clean, I might do this.

I have had mine about a month. It has been sharing duties with another knife, but I carried the Advocate all week this last week. It is trending to be my main EDC.
I_like_knives

Post by I_like_knives »

I did a similar mod on my Domino. Not only was that lockbar stiff and squared off, but it has jimping too! Made for a sore thumb, especially the first few days with it. Knocked the corners down a bit with a round ceramic rod.