Spyderco habit and latest fix: Stretch 2 V-Toku 2, Native Salt, Byrd Rescue 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Enactive

Spyderco habit and latest fix: Stretch 2 V-Toku 2, Native Salt, Byrd Rescue 2

Post by Enactive »

Yesterday i received my latest round of Spyderco knives. This little box included a Stretch 2 in V-Toku 2, a Native Salt and a Byrd Cara Cara Rescue 2 with an orange handle.

I am happy with all three of the knives. I am most pleased with the Native Salt. I spend a good bit of time outdoors year round in all kinds of weather. The ultralight (2.3 oz on my scale) rust resistant knife is very useful to always carry in the woods and mountains. My previous experience with LC200n in my SpydieChef really made me want this knife. Even though i have plenty of fixed blades i am thinking about the Waterway! I am excited to see Lance's design in person.

The Native Salt is my first Golden built Spyderco and i am really impressed with the overall build quality. The ergos are fantastic for my Size Large hands. The lock is absolutely impressive for an FRN backlock without liners! This thing has absolutely no play and drops halfway shut!!! So pleased! I had heard some of Sal's comments about this lock as well as other enthusiasm-- owning one now definitely confirms the quality. The blade is well centered. The grinds are also quite nice-- crisp plunge, even and thin BTE primary grind, even edge bevels! Totally pleased and ready to cut some stuff!

The Stretch 2 FRN has amazing ergonomics! While the blades are totally different-- the FRN handle of the Native 5 and the Stretch 2 are remarkably alike-- only the Stretch is bigger and fatter with a little more rounded edges. The two primary grips are fantastic on the Stretch as well as the multiple options for choked up grips! I am excited to see just how easy it is to achieve and maintain an ultra sharp edge on the V-Toku 2! I also have a lot of Swedish steel in knife and axe form, so pleased to have a little Swedish/Japanese steel in the mix! Get that strop ready!

My only gripe with the Stretch is that there is a tiny bit of vertical blade play! I know this is not unheard of in Seki-City knives. The factor that seems to be the saving grace for me is that there is no upward play when pushing in the cutting direction. I can detect a little vertical play if i push down on the tip of the spine of the blade. Since there is no movement in the cutting direction i am not worried. It does make we wish for a stop pin or other improvement in future versions. I was initially hesitant, but now quite sure i will keep this knife.

The Rescue 2 is my first Byrd. I gotta say that Byrds did not initially capture my attention the way that even some of the value folders have (Such as my Resilience and Efficient) and certainly not like the awesome SpydieChef, Shaman, Caribbean, Ikuchi etc. I have a big appreciation for well made budget knives-- most of my folders (across brands) cost me $25-40. This Rescue 2 is quite impressive overall. This knife does also suffer from a little bit of vertical blade play, but it is minimal and i think i will live with it. This is my first fully serrated folding knife and i am quite curious to try it. I have a Gerber LST that is combo edge, which i do not love. I was partly inspired by Vivi and other's enthusiasm for Byrd's to try this one. I was also partly inspired to try the serrated edge from reading the comments of our manySpydieEdge enthusiasts. I didn't realize until recently that one could sharpen serrations without using a slip stone on each individual scallop. Props to Vivi for sharing that video!! Thanks. Now i will have a chance to try that method.

Really excited to have what feel like the five Spydies that i "need." I do really like the ergonomics of the Shaman, but i really don't need one (until i can get a micarta cru-wear or other cool exclusive)! Gotta watch this Spyderco habit!
SpyderEdgeForever

Re: Spyderco habit and latest fix: Stretch 2 V-Toku 2, Native Salt, Byrd Rescue 2

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I love the Stretch 2 and I am amazed and gratified and so glad and so happy that they make it in laminated steel. I love you Spyderco! THANK YOU!
Enactive

Re: Spyderco habit and latest fix: Stretch 2 V-Toku 2, Native Salt, Byrd Rescue 2

Post by Enactive »

Cheers, SpyderEdgeForever! I have a bunch of lamnated fixed blades and carving tools, but this is my first laminated steel folder. So cool.
SpyderEdgeForever

Enactive wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:24 am
Cheers, SpyderEdgeForever! I have a bunch of lamnated fixed blades and carving tools, but this is my first laminated steel folder. So cool.
If you had a choice would you get the Laminated Stretch or would you hold out for the Paramilitary Tanto?
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

I would go Stretch, but I'm not really a PM2, nor tanto guy, so I am not a fair judge! For a comp lock knife I'd go Shaman or PE leaf Caribbean.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

It only took me a week and change to decide to force the patina on the V-Toku 2.
Attachments
IMAG2625.jpg
IMAG2634.jpg
FK

Post by FK »

A suggestion to help with vertical blade play on back lock knives.

Many time it is a small bit of dirt or grit in the locking interface on the blade.
I use a tooth pick or other sharp small tool to clean out the slot in the blade.
Add some light oil of your choice and it should eliminate any play.

I have owned over the past 25 years, approx. 50-60 Spyderco knives made in Seki Japan and none have any vertical play.

FK
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:44 pm
Enactive wrote:
If you had a choice would you get the Laminated Stretch or would you hold out for the Paramilitary Tanto?
Bro, if you can’t swing both then you know you have to hold out for the Tanto! I think that one is definitely more of a “dream knife” for you.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Nice selection you got there. Hope the Byrd sharpens nicely for you! I'm tempted by the Native Salt myself. I don't normally carry knives that small, but being ergonomic, super light and rust proof is a tough package to resist.
:unicorn
SpyderEdgeForever

Surfingringo wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:55 pm
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:44 pm
Enactive wrote:
Bro, if you can’t swing both then you know you have to hold out for the Tanto! I think that one is definitely more of a “dream knife” for you.
Yes! :) You are right my friend :)
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

I can't agree more about the Stretch 2 V-Toku! It's a wonderful design and execution, and boy do I love that sharpness ;) No blade play on mine though, which is also gratifying.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Thanks, Vivi. I hear you on the Native Salt, plus it has your favorite type of lock... but maybe a little small for your mitts. It's about as small as I like to go-- in fact my smallest Spyderco. I'm keen to hear your impressions of the Waterway.
Vivi wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:40 am
Nice selection you got there. Hope the Byrd sharpens nicely for you! I'm tempted by the Native Salt myself. I don't normally carry knives that small, but being ergonomic, super light and rust proof is a tough package to resist.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I always love to read when someone gets a Stretch in hand and then realizes what an amazingly ergonomic design it is... as it seems to happen most of the times. :)
Just Spyderco at it's best.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Thanks, FK.
FK wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:27 pm

Many time it is a small bit of dirt or grit in the locking interface on the blade.
I use a tooth pick or other sharp small tool to clean out the slot in the blade.

I have owned over the past 25 years, approx. 50-60 Spyderco knives made in Seki Japan and none have any vertical play.

FK
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Wartstein! Thanks! I don't know if you saw my first post... by check it out viewtopic.php?f=2&t=83132&p=1311019&hil ... e#p1311019 if not. I have definitely appreciated your Stretch evangelism.

The Stretch has such good ergonomics, feel and function. I may have to get a G-10 version and some other FRN ones down the line.
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:04 pm
I always love to read when someone gets a Stretch in hand and then realizes what an amazingly ergonomic design it is... as it seems to happen most of the times. :)
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

After a second round of cleaning both the Rescue and Stretch I have successfully eliminated essentially all of the play. There is just barely a tiny hint of play lift in both. Thanks again, FK!

FK wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:27 pm

FK
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Enactive wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:29 pm
Wartstein! Thanks! I don't know if you saw my first post... by check it out viewtopic.php?f=2&t=83132&p=1311019&hil ... e#p1311019 if not. I have definitely appreciated your Stretch evangelism.

The Stretch has such good ergonomics, feel and function. I may have to get a G-10 version and some other FRN ones down the line.
Wartstein wrote:
Hello Enactive, I did read the first post you mentioned and linked above just right now.

Thank you very much for your kind words there, it is really an honor to be mentioned along with, as you write (quote) "Vivi, Surfingringo, Wartstein, Deadboxhero, Sal and i am sure i am forgetting some. Thanks to the entire community!"

But just to be clear, I am on this forum just a few month now and really have way less experience and widespread knowledge than I would say most of the people here. But I am sure glad that you could find something beneficial for you in my posts!

And I myself have to thank, as you did, the "entire community", cause practically everyone here is really nice and helpfull, and I learn and benefit from all the shared knowledge here a lot.

"Stretch evengelism" is a very good term when it comes to me talking ´bout that knife... ;) In fact lately I try to stop myself posting too much about the Stretch, cause I am really beginning to repeat myself and that can get annoying I figure.

But, as I wrote: I am always glad when people TRY and USE and hold a Stretch and realize, how well made and just very versatile it really is. Though, as I stated not only once ;), just for me the discontinued Stretch 1 is even a little bit better than the current Stretch 2, though really not by much.

If you really want to get another FRN version, I personally would recommend the Stretch 1 (burnt orange) in HAP 40 steel. It´s still to be found!
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Wartstein,

I suppose that maybe some of our 'shared perspectives' and my appreciation of your posts comes from similar lifestyle of bicycling, backcountry skiing and i used to rock climb a lot.

In any case, on the Stretch. I like it so much i am considering getting the G-10 version while i still can. I don't think i will rush into getting another FRN model although it is tempting to try the MK1 Stretch in Hap 40. The thing is i really like the ergos and don't mind the shorter blade too much. My hand is a size large or 9/10. What is your hand size like? I know you prefer the Stretch 1.

Which versions of the Stretch have you handled or owned and which have you kept? I realize that i should probably just do a search of the forum for "Wartstein" and "Stretch" to find my answers... maybe i will.

I hope you are still having some excellent skiing. We're still having great snow here in the Cascades! One day i will make it to Austria to ski... i will ask your advice then. Last year i had an amazing time on the Berner Oberland for a week!

Enavtive
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:02 pm
Enactive wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:29 pm

Wartstein wrote:
Hello Enactive, I did read the first post you mentioned and linked above just right now.

Thank you very much for your kind words there, it is really an honor to be mentioned along with, as you write (quote) "Vivi, Surfingringo, Wartstein, Deadboxhero, Sal and i am sure i am forgetting some. Thanks to the entire community!"

But just to be clear, I am on this forum just a few month now and really have way less experience and widespread knowledge than I would say most of the people here. But I am sure glad that you could find something beneficial for you in my posts!

And I myself have to thank, as you did, the "entire community", cause practically everyone here is really nice and helpfull, and I learn and benefit from all the shared knowledge here a lot.

"Stretch evengelism" is a very good term when it comes to me talking ´bout that knife... ;) In fact lately I try to stop myself posting too much about the Stretch, cause I am really beginning to repeat myself and that can get annoying I figure.

But, as I wrote: I am always glad when people TRY and USE and hold a Stretch and realize, how well made and just very versatile it really is. Though, as I stated not only once ;), just for me the discontinued Stretch 1 is even a little bit better than the current Stretch 2, though really not by much.

If you really want to get another FRN version, I personally would recommend the Stretch 1 (burnt orange) in HAP 40 steel. It´s still to be found!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Enactive wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:31 pm
Wartstein,

I suppose that maybe some of our 'shared perspectives' and my appreciation of your posts comes from similar lifestyle of bicycling, backcountry skiing and i used to rock climb a lot.

In any case, on the Stretch. I like it so much i am considering getting the G-10 version while i still can. I don't think i will rush into getting another FRN model although it is tempting to try the MK1 Stretch in Hap 40. The thing is i really like the ergos and don't mind the shorter blade too much. My hand is a size large or 9/10. What is your hand size like? I know you prefer the Stretch 1.

Which versions of the Stretch have you handled or owned and which have you kept? I realize that i should probably just do a search of the forum for "Wartstein" and "Stretch" to find my answers... maybe i will.

I hope you are still having some excellent skiing. We're still having great snow here in the Cascades! One day i will make it to Austria to ski... i will ask your advice then. Last year i had an amazing time on the Berner Oberland for a week!

Enavtive
Good morning (where I live.. ;) ) Enactive,

(Let's ´s start with a brief "off-topic-section" ;) and a few backcountry skiing pics) :

the Cascades must be great for back country skiing.. never been there, but for quite some time the "K2 mount baker" was my favorite backcountry ski.. ;) (Mount baker is located in the Cascades, right?!);

And thanks, I DO still have great skiing and will have till probably early June since we have heaps of snow here this year.
Do you solely backcountry skiing or more in resorts? I personally almost never have been in a resort for I guess the last 30 years or so. I am more the "earn your turn-guy", and like to go to very lonely, remote places for skiing and so always have to climb or skin up first.

I´ll attach a few pics of one of my favorite tours / descents: The South face of Watzmann (pic 1 overview and line, 2 and 3 my youngest brother while descending; Pic 4: A mountain called "Hundstod", if you look closely you can see 2 buddies of mine on the uphill)

If you ever come to Austria make sure to contact me, so we can meet up and I can show you some gre[/i]at skiing!!)

/ Now for the Stretch!! (Glad you asked, so I have a reason to write about it once more! ;) )

- My hands are between L and XL, normally I take size 10 when buying gloves;

- I´ve handled the Stretch 1 in VG 10 and HAP 40 (FRN models), the Stretch 2 in VG 10 (FRN) and ZDP 189 (G10);

- I kept only Stretch 1s: Two in VG 10 (the ONLY knife I feel the need to have a backup. That´s because I already lost a Stretch 1 once and it is no longer in production), one in HAP 40 (burnt orange handle);
For explanation: I just can´t have or afford too many Spydercos (and except one Minigrip I only have Spydercos when it comes to quality folders); I constantly have around 10, but not more (ok, 11 at the moment, but one was gifted to me); so I have to sell knives to get new ones from time to time.
If there was no Stretch 1, without any question I would have three Stretch 2´s!! The Stretch 2 is a phenomenal knife, I like the Stretch 1 just slightly better and so I in order too keep my collection small I decided to stick with it.

- you say, you don´t mind the shorter edge of the Stretch 2, but love the ergos: In that case I´d strongly recommend that you (other than I) stick with the Stretch 2!! It´s ergos are even slightly better than on the Stretch 1 (both in a regular and choked up grip), especially for bigger hands! When it comes to ergos, the Stretch 2 is a perfect example for CQI (in the sense that something great was made even greater).

I personally just happen to like that the Stretch 1 a bit more (compared to the Stretch 2), because a) it packs more edge into a smaller overall package; b) the hand is placed closer to the edge in a regular grip; c) that "parrot beak like rear guard" at the end of the handle

If you like ZDP 189 as a steel (I don´t have too much experience with it, but prefer HAP 40), the current G10 model would be a great choice!! The blade / edge is longer than on the FRN models by approximately 5 %, which I think is a real plus.
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Wartstein,

Awesome photos! Thanks for sharing! That looks like a big and serious line on Watzmann! Here are a few photos from a recent ski tour. In the past twenty years i mostly earned my turns, but the past couple years i have skied at the resorts a little bit more. The Cascades are indeed amazing-- especially for getting to remote, lonely spots!

As for Spyderco-- i am re-reading some of your (and others) old Stretch posts. Currently on the Stretch 3 thread. I may have some questions for you later :)

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:09 am
Enactive wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:31 pm
Wartstein,

Enavtive
Good morning (where I live.. ;) ) Enactive,

(Let's ´s start with a brief "off-topic-section" ;) and a few backcountry skiing pics) :

the Cascades must be great for back country skiing.. never been there, but for quite some time the "K2 mount baker" was my favorite backcountry ski.. ;) (Mount baker is located in the Cascades, right?!);

And thanks, I DO still have great skiing and will have till probably early June since we have heaps of snow here this year.
Do you solely backcountry skiing or more in resorts? I personally almost never have been in a resort for I guess the last 30 years or so. I am more the "earn your turn-guy", and like to go to very lonely, remote places for skiing and so always have to climb or skin up first.

I´ll attach a few pics of one of my favorite tours / descents: The South face of Watzmann (pic 1 overview and line, 2 and 3 my youngest brother while descending; Pic 4: A mountain called "Hundstod", if you look closely you can see 2 buddies of mine on the uphill)

If you ever come to Austria make sure to contact me, so we can meet up and I can show you some gre[/i]at skiing!!)

/ Now for the Stretch!! (Glad you asked, so I have a reason to write about it once more! ;) )

- My hands are between L and XL, normally I take size 10 when buying gloves;

- I´ve handled the Stretch 1 in VG 10 and HAP 40 (FRN models), the Stretch 2 in VG 10 (FRN) and ZDP 189 (G10);

- I kept only Stretch 1s: Two in VG 10 (the ONLY knife I feel the need to have a backup. That´s because I already lost a Stretch 1 once and it is no longer in production), one in HAP 40 (burnt orange handle);
For explanation: I just can´t have or afford too many Spydercos (and except one Minigrip I only have Spydercos when it comes to quality folders); I constantly have around 10, but not more (ok, 11 at the moment, but one was gifted to me); so I have to sell knives to get new ones from time to time.
If there was no Stretch 1, without any question I would have three Stretch 2´s!! The Stretch 2 is a phenomenal knife, I like the Stretch 1 just slightly better and so I in order too keep my collection small I decided to stick with it.

- you say, you don´t mind the shorter edge of the Stretch 2, but love the ergos: In that case I´d strongly recommend that you (other than I) stick with the Stretch 2!! It´s ergos are even slightly better than on the Stretch 1 (both in a regular and choked up grip), especially for bigger hands! When it comes to ergos, the Stretch 2 is a perfect example for CQI (in the sense that something great was made even greater).

I personally just happen to like that the Stretch 1 a bit more (compared to the Stretch 2), because a) it packs more edge into a smaller overall package; b) the hand is placed closer to the edge in a regular grip; c) that "parrot beak like rear guard" at the end of the handle

If you like ZDP 189 as a steel (I don´t have too much experience with it, but prefer HAP 40), the current G10 model would be a great choice!! The blade / edge is longer than on the FRN models by approximately 5 %, which I think is a real plus.
Attachments
noname.jpg
noname1.jpg
noname2.jpg