Delica FRN to micarta

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SC_PATRIOT

Delica FRN to micarta

Post by SC_PATRIOT »

Got the St. Nick's Delica in today and it is the smoothest Spydy I've gotten to date. Fit and finish is impeccable! Now I originally got this to replace the red go scales with brown micarta BUT its so nice I don't want to touch it!

Should there be any problem swapping micarta scales onto my Wharnie in Hap40? I don't think so but need some other valuable inputs.
Instagram: @my_blade_life
Spyderco only EDC... :D
fixall

Re: Delica FRN to micarta

Post by fixall »

you shouldn't have any issues at all. I did a Delica swap from FRN to custom G10 just a while ago and it went as smooth as can be. Same with the Para 3 G10 to micarta swap I did a few months ago.

If you haven't disassembled a Delica before, I'd watch a video on it as the backspring can be slightly tricky the first time you reassemble a Delica.
Robbob

Post by Robbob »

fixall wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:37 pm
If you haven't disassembled a Delica before, I'd watch a video on it as the backspring can be slightly tricky the first time you reassemble a Delica.
Zip ties are your friend.
youmakemehole

Post by youmakemehole »

fixall wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:37 pm
you shouldn't have any issues at all. I did a Delica swap from FRN to custom G10 just a while ago and it went as smooth as can be. Same with the Para 3 G10 to micarta swap I did a few months ago.

The G10 on the St. Nicks Delica uses black steel liners though, differently sized than the liners on a FRN delica. So assuming you can fit the St Nicks blade into FRN, the DLC coated liners, backspacer, and maybe even lockbar and hardware would not be able to follow the blade along as well... The DLC liners and etc. is IMO a huge part of the St nick delica's appeal, and the cost is probably so high partially because everything was DLC coated as well... I would be a little irked if mounting custom scales would mean all that had to be left behind, however what really matters here I guess is how OP feels about it, I'm just gonna state the facts and try to leave it at that.

***TiCn not DLC
"Sometimes I think that we're all little kids trying to act like grown ups, in our parents clothes. ;) "

-sal