Stretch 2 Saber Grind BD1N G-10 Diamond Weave

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Would you like to see a Stretch 2 saber grind in BD1N with G-10 diamond weave scales?

Heads - I would love to see this knife offered by Spyderco
56%
Tails - I would love to see this knife offered by Spyderco
44%

Total votes: 9

cycleguy

Stretch 2 Saber Grind BD1N G-10 Diamond Weave

Post by cycleguy »

Hey All,

Would love to see Spyderco offer the Stretch 2 with a saber grind blade of BD1N (63 rockwell) with G-10 scales with diamond weave pattern.

This would be a beefier knife for field use and not for opening letters or cutting boxes. The saber grind benefits are threefold: 1) beefier working knife, 2) added thickness so the unit is more comfortable in hand than the previous g10 model which feels a bit thin, 3) balance of knife is shifted from being tail heavy to a balance point under the 2nd finger when the first finger is in the finger choil. Throwing in the diamond weave pattern to dress it up some visually and offer a slight different tactile experience.

So what you think? Thought I would run a poll with lots of choices so you can express how you feel.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
vivi

Re: Stretch 2 Saber Grind BD1N G-10 Diamond Weave

Post by vivi »

I'm down with the steel and handle material choices. I'm very eager to try BD1N but the Para 3 LW isn't for me. The Stretch fits me much better.

I'd have to pass on the saber grind though. What cutting tasks would you do with a saber grind Stretch that you wouldn't do with a flat grind Stretch?
:unicorn
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

The Stretch isn’t that thin. Saver grind is not cool, unless it’s higher up.
- best wishes, Jazz.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

No thanks. I’ll rely on Sal, Eric, and their collaborators for designs.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

No interest here. :)

I don’t even slightly like the Stretch 2 and you couldn’t gift me a diamond encrusted saber grind knife. :eek:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

That wouldn't really be a Stretch anymore. What I like about my Spydercos is that they aren't gratuitously overbuilt. I hear you on wanting a fatter handle for comfort and to fit your hand, but for the sake of applying more force, I think what you really need is a different tool. Don't get me wrong, I like me a ZT, I've got a plump little Lionsteel, I even have a 1/4" thick Ontario, but they're largely impractical and don't get nearly the pocket time that my much more efficient Spydercos do. The Ontario makes a **** of a cleaver though!
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Eww...

Where's the eject button?
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Nothing against saber grinds (though really not my favorite), but especially the very slicey, very versatile Stretch blade is better in ffg, for me at least. And plenty strong enough for any task I could imagine realistically. In fact, I´d like to have a Stretch with an even THINNER, not sturdier blade produced.

But: Generally I like to see every possible variation, so everyone can get what makes him or her happy... :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Nope. No interest in that one.
High height hollow, maybe.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Pass.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Pass. I'd have never owned a Stretch if it were saber grind.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
guywithopinion

Post by guywithopinion »

wrdwrght wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:27 pm
Just wanted to thank you for the reminder! I occasionally drift back here, and the quick reminder of how dismissive and demeaning some of the long-time/regular folks are will sustain me for a while.

You could have left it at No thanks.. Or you could have gone on about what you hate about his idea. But instead you dismiss him as a person. He isn't a Glesser and he doesn't collaborate with them, so no way he could have anything valuable to offer.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

guywithopinion wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:33 am
wrdwrght wrote:
Just wanted to thank you for the reminder! I occasionally drift back here, and the quick reminder of how dismissive and demeaning some of the long-time/regular folks are will sustain me for a while.

You could have left it at No thanks.. Or you could have gone on about what you hate about his idea. But instead you dismiss him as a person. He isn't a Glesser and he doesn't collaborate with them, so no way he could have anything valuable to offer.
No offense, really, and maybe I'm missing something here. But I just don't see how wrdwrghts comment is "dismissing the OP as a person"? In any case I am sure it wasn't intended to do so.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
FK

Post by FK »

No thanks on the sabre grind.

Yes on the FFG blade shape.

Regards,
FK
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

guywithopinion wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:33 am
wrdwrght wrote:

People like you are what's wrong with the world. You get so butthurt over such insignificant things, ones that have no bearing on you.

OP asked if we liked the idea, most didn't. Nothing to get upset about.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

OP here, jumping back in and waving the white flag for everybody to call a truce and have an intelligent discussion regarding knife design.

guywithopinion - I appreciate your support and couldn't agree more that the feedback should be kept to legitimate argument and constructive criticism. The comment could range anywhere from an insult to humor ... without getting to hear the tone and see the body language it is difficult to know for certain.

However, I don't concern myself with it. I picked up a quote from a very accomplished, recognized, and honored old man almost three decades ago that I live by day to day, which is: "Don't let the bastards get you down"!

So for those that have posted ... I hope you understand the design intent/user group for this knife is hunting and hunters and should be evaluated and brainstormed from that perspective. I'm a bit curious as to how many of you are hunters? The suggestions made in the opening post are all for improved use and function to the intended user group. Maybe I'll kick in some detail and maybe I just won't bother with it. Persuading people otherwise isn't that important to me in this scenario.

As for design; I am quite versed in design and the design process, as well as the practice of design. I have been involved with design work which has been recognized at the municipal level with design award. I understand this isn't as accomplished as state, national, or international recognition; but I know it is more than most can claim.

CG
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

I do like the idea of a specialized Spyderco for hunting use. In my opinion, the Stretch is as close as Spyderco makes right now. I could go either way on the grind. I'm not sold on BD1N yet. I don't have an opinion on the scales because I don't know what diamond weave G-10 looks like. But I'm interested in hearing more. Come up with a heavy use hunting folder that could replace my Buck 119 and I'd buy it.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Yep, I think the essence is to emulate a fixed blade hunter in a folder. Thus the interest in a blade with a thicker spine for the increased strength, and comfort with some blade holds.

For a look at the diamond weave pattern go to spyderco.com and type "native 5 forum" in the search box and you will see a picture of it. It's kinda akin to skip line checkering with firearms. As I've had more time to think about this, I also like what they did with the G10 scales on the Caribbean and would enjoy seeing more of it on other models (ok to change up the colors).

I've only found user information for BD1N blades thru Japan kitchen cutlery reviews; its not new and has been available for a few years now. I'm about to order one for myself so I can have first hand experience with it and form my own opinion. The Dragon in this video is BD1N at a claimed rockwell of 63, didn't pick up what the others were made from. Everything I've come across would indicate an improvement over VG-10 and ZDP-189.

https://youtu.be/FJmhJKbFgO4

CG
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Sounds a lot like a victorinox pro hunter.
rangefinder

Post by rangefinder »

Sounds to me like the OP would like an updated version of the Impala.