Light Weight LC200N Kapara

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Forest Green

Light Weight LC200N Kapara

Post by Forest Green »

Any interest in a light weight LC200N kapara? Would it be FRN or G10, linerless lockback or compression?
stockliman

Re: Light Weight LC200N Kapara

Post by stockliman »

I think the scales make the knife. If I wanted an FRN version, I'd just use my stretch.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Stockliman,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Forest Green wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:45 pm
Any interest in a light weight LC200N kapara? Would it be FRN or G10, linerless lockback or compression?
Yes, definitely! I love the blade shape and geometry of the Kapara, I like FRN and backlocks, so an even lighter FRN linerless lockback Kapara (which would most likely be more affordable also (though the existing Kapara is worth every cent, don´t get me wrong)) would be great.
Steel is not much of an concern of mine, S30 V is totally fine, LC200N also from what I read (have no experience with it myself)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

A quick glance at Spydiewiki shows that some early (1990s) collaborations came out initially in FRN, and a few were even marketed as lightweight.

Later collaborations seem limited to non-FRN scales. Why this limitation?

Perhaps because collaborations get discontinued long before they might otherwise pay down the costs of molds that produce the intricate FRN we’ve come to expect.

And why do collaborations get discontinued?

Perhaps because they compete with (or distract from) in-house designs and/or require some sharing of profits, even while enlivening the catalog.

All to say (if my speculations are not too far-fetched), a lightweight Kapara (which is not heavy as is) doesn’t have much of a chance.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

I wouldn't mind a standardization around naming versions of a knife. Let's say the upcoming Para 3 LW is a rousing success (I think it will). It would be nice that all LW versions would come with a standard set of features (FRN, BD1N, wire clip, etc.). Likewise, the Salt series would be LC200N and yellow FRN. Buyers would know instantly what the new version has in store for them. I realize that this would cause some confusion. What do you do about the Native 5 LW and Chaparral LW? I'm inclined to say leave them as is (especially the Chaparral) with their current steels.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

wrdwrght wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:12 am
A quick glance at Spydiewiki shows that some early (1990s) collaborations came out initially in FRN, and a few were even marketed as lightweight.

Later collaborations seem limited to non-FRN scales. Why this limitation?

Perhaps because collaborations get discontinued long before they might otherwise pay down the costs of molds that produce the intricate FRN we’ve come to expect.

And why do collaborations get discontinued?

Perhaps because they compete with (or distract from) in-house designs and/or require some sharing of profits, even while enlivening the catalog.

All to say (if my speculations are not too far-fetched), a lightweight Kapara (which is not heavy as is) doesn’t have much of a chance.
Interesting thougts! And if you are right:Sure an FRN lw Kapara (especially when featuring a backlock) would heavily compete with the Endura... Endura 4, or maybe even 5 if we´ll see one in the future. In some ways, such a Kapara would even BE what many hope the Endura 5 to look like...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
bwunger

Post by bwunger »

I think I'd rather see it in canvas micarta scales and a steel that can handle really low angles. Maybe a hard 4v or HAP40. Lightweight models are cool too though, I just feel like the Kapara screams for something really slicy with a grippy contoured handle.
Current collection: ZDP-189 Delica 4, S110V PM2, St. Nick's 4v Para 3, H1 sheepsfoot Manbug, Kapara, VG-10 Dragonfly, ATS-55 Serrated Delica, ZDP-189 MT04 (not broken yet) + Other non spydercos.