Perrin PPT

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
youmakemehole

Perrin PPT

Post by youmakemehole »

Anyone want to share thoughts/experiences with this cool lil dude? Trying to get hyped for one I have coming in the mail :D
"Sometimes I think that we're all little kids trying to act like grown ups, in our parents clothes. ;) "

-sal
Forest Green

Re: Perrin PPT

Post by Forest Green »

I have the newer s90v carbon fiber, very beautiful knife, but also a bit of a paper weight being very dense. Too heavy for me to put in my pocket, but the heft adds intrigue, it stays in my desk and I enjoy handling it.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I have the original. Very cool knife and atypical for Spyderco in a few ways. Doesn’t look like it’d be ergonomic but I find it comfortable. As mentioned, it’s way heavy. If I were in charge, it’d be rerun with Ti instead of stainless, and I’d eliminate the back half scale. I also might make it 30-50% larger and would consider a different clip style/placement.
remnar

Post by remnar »

Love the blade and handle shape. It is a little heavy but I can live with that. The only thing that I don't like about it is the pointy clip that digs into my hand.
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

Big fan of the PPT. Well, Im a fan of most knives, that Perrin has a hand in designing. The other two involved are quite accomplished as well to say the least.
The PPT is a good slicer but some wont like the weight, as others have stated Amazing, how spoiled we are with quality light weight folders and amazing that some of us didnt even think twice about the weight of a 110 at one time. Try the PPT in hand and check the weight before buying if possible.
Personally, I dont mind the weight but obviously some do. Its something you notice, if you are used to the fly weight offerings from Spyderco.
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

tvenuto wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:43 pm
I have the original. Very cool knife and atypical for Spyderco in a few ways. Doesn’t look like it’d be ergonomic but I find it comfortable. As mentioned, it’s way heavy. If I were in charge, it’d be rerun with Ti instead of stainless, and I’d eliminate the back half scale. I also might make it 30-50% larger and would consider a different clip style/placement.
Are you familiar with the Bastinelli Dragotac Compact (and Dragotac for that matter)?

I dont know, which came first, the PPT or the Bastinelli. I prefer the PPT.

youmakemehole

Post by youmakemehole »

SpyderScout wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:07 am
tvenuto wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:43 pm
Are you familiar with the Bastinelli Dragotac Compact (and Dragotac for that matter)?

I dont know, which came first, the PPT or the Bastinelli. I prefer the PPT.

I had a sinking feeling :eek: , the one you get when you realize you may have made a bad buying decision or found out some other place had the thing you just bought for 10% cheaper, and after looking at the specs a little more closely.. D2 steel... I think felt a lot better after and I think I prefer the PPT as well :p
"Sometimes I think that we're all little kids trying to act like grown ups, in our parents clothes. ;) "

-sal
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

:D good, you didnt end up with buyers regret after all.

As for. steels, D2 is just fine in my book. A2 as well.
youmakemehole

Post by youmakemehole »

SpyderScout wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:31 pm
:D good, you didnt end up with buyers regret after all.

As for. steels, D2 is just fine in my book. A2 as well.
D2 is cool, it takes a little extra effort for me to keep it super sharp, but it becomes a whole lot less appealing to me when it's $300+ compared to S90v for $200! :rolleyes:

-sal