Who else is getting an Ikuchi as soon as they are released?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
paulwa

Re: Who else is getting an Ikuchi as soon as they are released?

Post by paulwa »

koenigsegg wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:35 pm
I really like my Ikuchi. It came yesterday but man has it cut up my finger. I have dry hands so when my finger started to bleed I just assumed my skin cracked but looking at the cuts they're all very straight. Then the knife didn't deploy fully and that's when I felt the burr that had been cutting me. On the top of the flipper wheel at the corner where the compression lock interface is there was a burr and during deploy my finger was rubbing on the corner of the flipper and I was getting cut from it. At least there is an easy fix and I already rubbed it down with a sharpmaker stone just figured I'd warn you guys.
20190404_172457.jpg

Also I dunno maybe it's just me but I think my blade is warped too
20190403_202226.jpg
20190403_201052.jpg
Howdy Koenigegg,
Hopefully the filing solved your skin ripping issue. Besides the smoothing of the edges, be sure to be careful where you put the very tip of your finger. If it rests on the CF/G10 and only the fingertip pad is on the wheel, then that lock surface is bound to make contact with flesh as the wheel rolls, it is exposed, and the finger tip comes off the scales. I’ve handled and flipped a dozen or so now, and I try to align the end of my fingertip with the start of the scale, that way the whole fingertip is touching the jimpped wheel surface from the start, and you can’t accidentally catch that edge as you try and force the wheel to rotate.

I haven’t had this issue on any of the pieces when I use the “from-the-side thumb flick” opening method. It also gives your pointer finger a chance to heal. ;)

On your blade issue... tough to say, could be warp (in the blade or one liner), a slightly uneven grind, or off-centering, but it’s fairly minimal. Maybe try tightening the pivot a bit if it won’t hurt the action, and see how she looks.

Hope I helped on some front and improved your enjoyment of the knife,
- Paul
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

The pivot turns from the non-clip side. Yeah the blade isn't very recessed when closed but I have to jam a finger in for the tip to catch. It carries tip up against the side of the pocket. Doesn't seem like an issue.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

paulwa wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:41 pm
koenigsegg wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:35 pm
I really like my Ikuchi. It came yesterday but man has it cut up my finger. I have dry hands so when my finger started to bleed I just assumed my skin cracked but looking at the cuts they're all very straight. Then the knife didn't deploy fully and that's when I felt the burr that had been cutting me. On the top of the flipper wheel at the corner where the compression lock interface is there was a burr and during deploy my finger was rubbing on the corner of the flipper and I was getting cut from it. At least there is an easy fix and I already rubbed it down with a sharpmaker stone just figured I'd warn you guys.
20190404_172457.jpg

Also I dunno maybe it's just me but I think my blade is warped too
20190403_202226.jpg
20190403_201052.jpg
Howdy Koenigegg,
Hopefully the filing solved your skin ripping issue. Besides the smoothing of the edges, be sure to be careful where you put the very tip of your finger. If it rests on the CF/G10 and only the fingertip pad is on the wheel, then that lock surface is bound to make contact with flesh as the wheel rolls, it is exposed, and the finger tip comes off the scales. I’ve handled and flipped a dozen or so now, and I try to align the end of my fingertip with the start of the scale, that way the whole fingertip is touching the jimpped wheel surface from the start, and you can’t accidentally catch that edge as you try and force the wheel to rotate.

I haven’t had this issue on any of the pieces when I use the “from-the-side thumb flick” opening method. It also gives your pointer finger a chance to heal. ;)

On your blade issue... tough to say, could be warp (in the blade or one liner), a slightly uneven grind, or off-centering, but it’s fairly minimal. Maybe try tightening the pivot a bit if it won’t hurt the action, and see how she looks.

Hope I helped on some front and improved your enjoyment of the knife,
- Paul
Paul very awesome that you are replying to my post! Big fan of your designs. I love the design in pretty much every way and was shocked when this happened. Just wasn't expecting it but I've only ever had flippers with tabs. Carried the Sliverax for over a year and never had any issues, love that blade. Only another of your designs could get me to stop carrying it. I think since fingers are going to be around this area that Spyderco should pay close attention to sharp edges here and just wanted others to make sure they look out for it if it's the same on their example. The thing about the blade centering is that the tip is perfectly centered it just looks closer to one scale than the other. I'm not worried about this I've just not seen it before.
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
SG89

Post by SG89 »

My ikuchi was supposed to be delivered today but wasn't 😢
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Monday for me unless I get lucky on Saturday.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
ptd

Post by ptd »

My preorder from KC arrived today, number 68. Knife is quite nice, unique, and feels pretty good in the hand. Index finger opening is probably the best, thumb/lighter method is too awkward and I can see myself dropping it and/or cutting myself somehow. Look forward to putting it in the rotation...

-pd
jimmd

Post by jimmd »

I’m tempted. I’d like to hear more about how the disengagement of the compression lock works. Seems like it might be a little cumbersome.

I’d love to see a comparison with the Boos Blades Smoke, which seems to have a generally similar handle and blade size and profile.
Jim
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Disengagement of the lock is not difficult for me at all. My fingers are not especially thick. Blade action is a bit stiff but should get slicker.
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

This thing is still in stock at DLT if anyone is looking. Definitely a solid $130 purchase.
Lumpy620

Post by Lumpy620 »

Three left in stock @ Knivesplus.

EDIT: Aaaand as soon as I typed that, there was a thump on my porch... Mine's here :D
15544692407593824949605649466501.jpg
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Bdubs808 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:50 pm
I think you just sold me on the ikuchi. I love my Jess horn lw for shorts and just general edc. Looks like a great size.
BigGrove

Post by BigGrove »

Bdubs808 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:59 am
This thing is still in stock at DLT if anyone is looking. Definitely a solid $130 purchase.
Looks to be out of stock at DLT now.
brj

Post by brj »

Mine's here as well, cool little knife

So not-Spyderco at a first glance, yet sooo-Spyderco the more you think about it :)
Hope the rest of the series materializes *fingers crossed*
camvdcs

Post by camvdcs »

Was on the fence about getting this one. Looked small, fragile, etc. But handles are CF, decent steel S30V, and looks like a solid build in small package. DLT had a problem with shipping cost stuck at $5.99 yesterday. I called them and they guy was able to credit me for shipping before ordering! Also, I had some reward points and he was able to credit me for that before ordering! $118 out the door! I'm pretty sure I called after they were closed but someone answered. Pretty good service. :)
camvdcs

Post by camvdcs »

FYI. KW has them now.
camvdcs

Post by camvdcs »

:o Sorry, KW is pre-order.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Just became available at White Mountain Knives.

https://whitemountainknives.com/spyderc ... tocknotify
TheSpur22

Post by TheSpur22 »

Very happy with this knife...

Imagereceived_394912357995914 by Jasper Beamer, on Flickr
Nice marmot

Post by Nice marmot »

Mine came in yesterday. I was kind of luke warm on it right out of the box. Within the first few minutes I stabbed myself in the finger (thanks New Graham for the included band aids). But as I've spent more time with it yesterday and today I think I am going to really like it. Nice thin design, nice in the pocket and totally different than anything else I own.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I put a short wire clip on it because it fits my grip and pocket better Image
My thumb and forefinger are cursing me out right now from opening and closing this knife for an hour
Paul, you are a genius, truly. I can't imagine how many hours it took for you and spyderco to get this design perfected. My eyes say no ergos but my hand says holy ergonomics Batman!
The hole in the scale can be used for extra purchase while opening the knife and while cutting. The way my thumb rests atop the spine of the knife so naturally is wonderful. The blade shape is the perfect amount of restrained belly and upsweep, yet straight spined enough for EDC tasks
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb