Who else is getting an Ikuchi as soon as they are released?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Zatx

Re: Who else is getting an Ikuchi as soon as they are released?

Post by Zatx »

paulwa wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:35 pm
Howdy all,
My production sample just came in, so I guess I’m slightly ahead of the curve. ;)
5992CC75-9CCF-4F6E-BA5B-AE99EF4223D2.png
Hope those folks interested find it as fun to cut AND fidget with as I am... having trouble getting anything else done this evening with the Ikuchi around to play with.

For those looking forward to the retail release, the wait shouldn’t be much longer, now.

- Paul

Paul, can you please end the speculation... is it on bearings or washers?!

I sure hope I can find this in stock before the first run is gone.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Eric says in this video it's on ball bearings.
https://youtu.be/jq2dNGtp46w
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Zatx wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:36 am
paulwa wrote:
Howdy all,
My production sample just came in, so I guess I’m slightly ahead of the curve. ;)
Hope those folks interested find it as fun to cut AND fidget with as I am... having trouble getting anything else done this evening with the Ikuchi around to play with.

For those looking forward to the retail release, the wait shouldn’t be much longer, now.

- Paul

seconding this - now that you have it in hand, we'd love to get a conclusive answer :)
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:00 am

True, but Paul said that there were pre-production versions with and without bearings and neither he nor Eric was sure what the final production version would contain.
paulwa

Post by paulwa »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:05 am
Zatx wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:36 am
paulwa wrote:
Howdy all,

- Paul

seconding this - now that you have it in hand, we'd love to get a conclusive answer :)
Well, I broke down and disassembled it late yesterday evening and can conclusively share that the production Ikuchi blade rides on phosphor-bronze washers.

The knife is fairly simple internally and not too tough to service. But, tuning the pivot tightness is key if you do tear down the Ikuchi, it’s a light blade on washers with a good detent, so the balance between flipping action and lock-up stability is a precision process. I definitely recommend adding a little loctite to the pivot screw once you dial it in to your preference.

Once it’s there, that’s when the real trouble begins... I’ve been flipping mine so much, I’ve started wearing the skin off my pointer finger and thumb! :D

- Paul
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

paulwa wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:03 am

Well, I broke down and disassembled it late yesterday evening and can conclusively share that the production Ikuchi blade rides on phosphor-bronze washers.

The knife is fairly simple internally and not too tough to service. But, tuning the pivot tightness is key if you do tear down the Ikuchi, it’s a light blade on washers with a good detent, so the balance between flipping action and lock-up stability is a precision process. I definitely recommend adding a little loctite to the pivot screw once you dial it in to your preference.

Once it’s there, that’s when the real trouble begins... I’ve been flipping mine so much, I’ve started wearing the skin off my pointer finger and thumb! :D

- Paul

Thank you, Paul!

I recently learned about detent tuning on my new Amalgam and now that I have the knowledge and skill I've been revisiting many of my spydercos. It's amazing how a fine-tuned detent can increase the enjoyment of a knife and how a loose detent can spoil it. I just bought a Caribbean and it has practically no detent and I can't stand it; I'll not be carrying it until I have the time to tune it properly.

May I ask... what is your technique for tuning a detent and did your's need much adjustment?
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Zatx wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:12 am
Larry_Mott wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:00 am

True, but Paul said that there were pre-production versions with and without bearings and neither he nor Eric was sure what the final production version would contain.
I see.. So much for trusting Eric :D
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

paulwa wrote:
Howdy all,

- Paul

I like this design ... a lot. I'l do my best to purchase one as soon as they hit the retailers but being from Europe a have minimal chances. A question from a fellow mechanical engineer Paul: did you CAD the IKUCHI ?
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Thanks for the update, Paul! Really looking forward to getting one of these in hand. Maybe it'll kick the Sliverax out of my collection :D
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

So correct me if I’m wrong but this will be the first Spyderco flipper without ball bearings?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
crav78

Post by crav78 »

Do we know what the handle thickness is yet? I'm hoping for something thin and easily pocketable.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Did I tell you that I was excited about this knife?

With this new update, double that excitement! I love simplicity.
I think that's one of the reasons I tolerate Ti framelocks.

Just to keep this idea alive; this knife with a Ti integral compression lock and LC200N would make me foam at the mouth.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
paulwa

Post by paulwa »

elena86 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:56 am
paulwa wrote:
Howdy all,

- Paul

I like this design ... a lot. I'l do my best to purchase one as soon as they hit the retailers but being from Europe a have minimal chances. A question from a fellow mechanical engineer Paul: did you CAD the IKUCHI ?
Howdy elena,
I definitely CAD-up all my designs; and from there, rapid prototype functional models for assessment. Depending on the design, I may start with pencil and paper sketch or go right to Solidworks, just depends on what I’m doing and what’s on hand when the muse comes calling.
For the Ikuchi and the 3 other designs in that ‘series’, CAD was particularly important as I needed to puzzle through sizing and packaging on the flipper and locking mechanisms as well as the fully hidden blades when closed. (It definitely does make creating a ‘series’ much more efficient from a time perspective.)

Thanks for the question,
- Paul
toocool006

Post by toocool006 »

I'll be getting one the second I can find them in stock!
~andrew
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Mighty tempting!
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

paulwa wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:55 pm
...For the Ikuchi and the 3 other designs in that ‘series’, CAD was particularly important as I needed to puzzle through sizing and packaging on the flipper and locking mechanisms as well as the fully hidden blades when closed. (It definitely does make creating a ‘series’ much more efficient from a time perspective.)

Thanks for the question,
- Paul
He said "series" again. I'm giddy all over... :)
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

The Ikuchi looks great! I am definitely looking forward to trying it out. Nice work Paul!
Tims

Post by Tims »

Happy to hear it’s riding on washers.
I’ve been back and forthing on this one, pb washers might just get me there
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

No love for bearings here either. Eagerly awaiting the in-stock notification for my pre-order. :)
dodgie02

Post by dodgie02 »

paulwa wrote:
Howdy all,

- Paul
I've watched all videos featuring the ikuchi. Especially the knivesandtools one left a good impression. You smiled a lot and seemed genuinely happy about your journey to this point in your life. I still think the famine was a better name, so I'm just gonna call it that but otherwise you're guaranteed a sale from me!