Who else is getting an Ikuchi as soon as they are released?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SG89

Re: Who else is getting an Ikuchi as soon as they are released?

Post by SG89 »

Zatx wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:21 am
toocool006 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:52 pm
Do we think this one is going to follow in the Kapara / Smock model and be tough to catch on initial release? I'm getting that feeling and agree it's a great thing long term for the models and potential sprints if a bit trying for my patience aka my worst virtue...

I really wish Spyderco would ramp up their initial production numbers. Having the entire stock of a new knife sell out in a matter of minutes, then waiting six months for the second run to hit shelves is very frustrating.

I realize they do this to minimize their risk because a model may not sell well and they don't want a lot of stock sitting around, but what new model has come out recently (last two years) and didn't almost instantly sell-out?

[Note: notice I said NEW model and not a refresh of an older model]
Introvert, mamba, tighe stick, magnitude, hanan, opus.
The higher priced collaboration models oftentimes Japanese made don't seem to sell as well, but I agree with you on the Smock, Kapara, Ikuchi, and McBee. Seems like the sub $200 Taichung collaborations sell out fast
Last edited by SG89 on Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

In stock at GPK...
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

I just read me GPK email alert and it looks like they are gone already.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Just saw one on ebay for MAP. Ordered it.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Catamount123

Post by Catamount123 »

Just ordered mine as well. Wonder if it will have a CC # like the Waterway I got from the same eBay seller?
I don't get people who only carry one knife :thinking ;)
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I'm sitting here glued to my phone waiting for one to drop somewhere!!!

It's killing me.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Got one. It is beyond awesome. It has instantly become my favorite (non salt) Spyderco folder! This knife has a perfect blade length in a super slim package but is still robust enough for my normal edc use. The Ikuchi is a homerun!
alinla

Post by alinla »

Surfingringo wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:10 pm
Got one. It is beyond awesome. It has instantly become my favorite (non salt) Spyderco folder! This knife has a perfect blade length in a super slim package but is still robust enough for my normal edc use. The Ikuchi is a homerun!
Congrats. I'm a little jealous as I'm stalking the usual dealers hoping to get a sniff of one. Any photos to entertain is while we wait?
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Surfingringo wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:10 pm
Since you are very good at cleaning fish catches, do you find the slim blade profile to be almost a sort of "advanced fillet knife" if needed?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I also sharpened it up to hair whittling sharp and then immediately cut myself trying to do the "thumb flick". :o Spazzed out and the knife flew out of my hand and I instinctively tried to catch it. Cool trick...don't recommend it.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I can't wait for these to start dropping for real.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Another winner for Spyderco and crew. Beautiful blade lines, compact, easy on the pockets cf, nice edc size, compression lock, and wire clip. This knife checks a lot of the boxes. Paul designs incredible knives. Hoping to get the shipping notice on mine soon
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Surfingringo wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:43 pm
I also sharpened it up to hair whittling sharp and then immediately cut myself trying to do the "thumb flick". :o Spazzed out and the knife flew out of my hand and I instinctively tried to catch it. Cool trick...don't recommend it.
You now have the honorable distinction of owning the first production Ikuchi to taste blood :)
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Heck make a YouTube video about it I can't find any that aren't from blade shows
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
paulwa

Post by paulwa »

Surfingringo wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:43 pm
Sorry she bit you Lance, but glad to hear you are enjoying the design.

The thumb flip can be tricky because the handle is so thin on this design (the other handle patterns in the series are a bit wider). For the Ikuchi, I usually dig the corner of the handle spine on the show side into the meaty knuckle pads at the top of my palm, just below the fingers. My fingers are wrapped tightly with only the tips on the opposite scale. My pointer finger rests on the hole in the scale and the middle, ring, and pinky finger tips all contact with some part of the clip (the clip is critical for me to be able to pull off the thumb flip).

It may take a bit of practice, but I much prefer it to pointer finger flipping. It just flips better for me (YMMV), and all you need to do to is give it little roll and it’s in the right grip for use.

Hopefully more folks will be able to get their hands on one this week from retailers who don’t do preorders... I really appreciate all the enthusiasm folks have for this design, and hope the actual pieces don’t disappoint.

- Paul
elena86

Post by elena86 »

This waiting game is getting ridiculous ... to say at least :(
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Tims

Post by Tims »

elena86 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:51 am
This waiting game is getting ridiculous ... to say at least :(
I hear ya, it got too much for me, I caved and got a 940 to fill the light, slim void in my pocket. The Ikuchi will have to wait for now. :(
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

New models often trickle in. I imagine this week we'll see a lot more.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

ABX2011 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:51 am
New models often trickle in. I imagine this week we'll see a lot more.

I'm not the complainer type but ... it's so frustrating ... they release a first batch and... unless you are very fast and/or very lucky you'll have to wait for God knows how long untill the dealers restock. Look what hapens to the Smock ... or the Kapara. For us Europeans it's even more frustrating... it's like chasing a ghost. Really Spyderco ?! :confused:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

Up here in Ontario, Canada. Pretty much the same kind of waiting game (if you're waiting to see one in hand before you buy it). Or you could just order one online. Still a wait and only for it to be nabbed by the border guards. I like feeling them in hand first. The only brick and mortar store around here has a decent collection of which I've purchased a fair amount. No new releases though. Not to mention the cost up here is a tad high. Pm2 = $185. Hopefully get one soon. I've got lucky a couple times.
:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"