Who else is getting an Ikuchi as soon as they are released?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Liquid Cobra

Re: Who else is getting an Ikuchi as soon as they are released?

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Awesome info Zatx! I hope your mod isn’t necessary when I get mine but if it is I have a clear idea of what is needed now thanks to you.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

I received my Ikuchi on Monday and have been carrying it and playing with it a lot since.. the fidget factor is high with this knife.

Initially, I was concerned seeing some of the posts about people getting sliced, but I have not found this to be an issue with my knife. If I push the meat of my fingertips very hard against it the edge of the handle, I can make light contact with the tip of the blade when the knife is closed. I have to really try to do this.. and even when my skin does contact the tip, it does not penetrate deeply enough to draw any blood..just makes a very light slice across the outer layer of skin. I know I haven't had it very long yet, but at this point, I do not forsee any issue with seriously cutting myself during normal carry/use of this knife.

I have noticed some small.. I hesitate to call them cuts, but maybe micro-abrasions.. on my index finger from the sharp end of the flipper wheel. With repeated use, this becomes uncomfortable, but my finger already seems to be forming a callus and I don't think it will be an issue long term.. but, if it continues to be, I imagine sanding down this piece of the flipper wheel will take care of it completely. This is also mitigated by opening the Ikuchi with your thumb, which is actually quite easy with a little practice.

Overall, I think this is a pretty great little knife and I've enjoyed it so far in my short time with it. Looking forward to carrying it more.
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
CHUMco

Post by CHUMco »

Hi All - first post here.

Very excited t get my Ikuchi last week...and have made my fingers sore as heck fidgeting with it! ;)

I had the sharp burr issues as well. A quick and easy sanding fixed that.

However - my blade centering was off a little in the beginning. Now that it's breaking in a bit I am noticing the 'off-centering' more visually.

Is this normal? fixable? am I overreacting?

Thanks!

Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

CHUMco wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:55 pm
Hi All - first post here.

Very excited t get my Ikuchi last week...and have made my fingers sore as heck fidgeting with it! ;)

I had the sharp burr issues as well. A quick and easy sanding fixed that.

However - my blade centering was off a little in the beginning. Now that it's breaking in a bit I am noticing the 'off-centering' more visually.

Is this normal? fixable? am I overreacting?

Thanks!

You can adjust it at the pivot just takes a little fiddling, just make sure you have good drivers so you do not strip the screw heads.

Oh and welcome to the forum, lots to learn here. I love this place!
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Welcome to the forum CHUMco!

As Doeswhatever said, usually a little tweaking with the pivot screw is all that's needed.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

Got my Ikuchi Tuesday and am very much liking this knife. It did however, bite me decently on the back of my leg, index finger, and thumb. The tip was just high enough to get me, and get me it did...
Spent a little time dropping the point down just a little on stones so it doesn't stab, cut, grab or touch any part of me now, even with a moderate amount of pressure. Good to go.

u.w.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Ikuchi available at Knifeworks

https://www.knifeworks.com/new/spyderco ... order.html

And Per Knifeworks a 5% Discount coupon as I received in my email yesterday...

We’ve missed you! And we really want you back.

To prove it, we’re offering you 5% OFF your next purchase. Just use the promo code wemissyou when you checkout.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Last edited by SG89 on Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
anycal

Post by anycal »

Peter
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Anyone else notice these sharpening marks in certain lights?
2019-04-11 (1).jpg
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

koenigsegg wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:30 pm
Looks like something I would do when I sharpen :o Sorry, but my copy is nice and clean.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

koenigsegg wrote:

2019-04-11 (1).jpg

I hand selected my Subvert out of 6 or 7 examples of the knife. Each had scratches like that where the primary grind transitioned to the flats. Seems like Taichung needs to take more care with their grinds.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

koenigsegg wrote:

2019-04-11 (1).jpg

My example did not have these and, was in fact, the sharpest blade I've ever received from Taichung. The marks you see are unfortunate and are the result of using a new grinding wheel/belt. When they're new there are larger particles protruding from the surface that lasts for the first few passes.
TheSpur22

Post by TheSpur22 »

Well I did not think it was possible but add me to the list of getting nicked by the tip, got me 3 times yesterday but didn't notice it till the third time. All 3 cuts are on my right hand ring finger, I guess the loose material shorts I was wearing allowed the knife to twist when putting my hand in my pocket. Either way I'm not sure how comfortable I am with carrying this anymore, the last time it got me it actually pulled the blade out. Sucks too because otherwise I really, really love this knife.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I filed down the tip more last night bc it can still get me when closed but then again I have tiny hands and fingers... For example my wedding band is a size 4
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Tims

Post by Tims »

The exposed tip is the type of issue that I can overlook until the new knife novelty wears off, then it’s shelved.
This knife was next on my list but I’ll hold off until it cops some CQI.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

The tip on mine sits about 2mm below the liners. I can lay the pad of my index finger at 90° to the handle and run it up and down the handle over the tip all day and I never feel it. Yet, if I turn my finger so that the finger tip is pointing toward the pivot end parallel with the handle, and push back and forth I will occasionally feel the blade tip. Pushing along the axis of the spine will force skin down between the liners and can catch the tip.

Under normal circumstances, when the tip is below the level of the liners, you can’t cut yourself unless you try.

I think taking the tip down a fraction with a Sharpmaker stone and using the knife intelligently will resolve any tip catching issues.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Colorodo

Post by Colorodo »

Like mine so much that I ordered a second one. Since I flipped the clip it hasn’t been a problem catching my finger.
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

Ikuchi strikes again! Though, just like Lance, this one was totally my fault!

MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I have been using mine for about everything. I don’t worry about the point when it is closed since it fits nicely beneath the top of the liners but when open that point can do some damage. Thin, sharp and needle-like. Which is one of its attributes.

I’ve also worked out how to more easily close it both two-handed and single. Now, if I give it a bit of a shake the blade will drop almost or completely closed. Depends on the force of the shake.

Great knife.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation