Who else is getting an Ikuchi as soon as they are released?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
paulwa

Re: Who else is getting an Ikuchi as soon as they are released?

Post by paulwa »

ABX2011 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:50 am
Zatx wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:43 am
I'll have to sand some from the choil where it rests against the stop pin; it's very easy for me to cut the pad of my finger/thumb with that laser-like tip. There is a lot of separation between the knife edge and the standoffs so I don't see any reason the blade can't sit deeper within the scales.
Ball detent won't align if you alter that on a liner/frame/compression lock knife.
True, but there is sometimes a bit of extra travel to accommodate a minor mod (that’s all that’s needed here). But this is why folks need to be super careful if this is something they want to try. There’s a lot of things you can screw up.

- Paul
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

I went home for lunch and made her mine.

I switched out the clip to an RGT wire replacement clip and fixed the finger cutting tip. The modification to get the blade to rest a few thousands of an inch deeper in the scale was quite complicated.

I hadn’t seen Paul’s reply when I did this so I was using trial and error. First I used a very small diamond file and took some metal from the choil. The choil had been contacting the stop pin because there was evidence on both where they touched (bright shiny spot). This change didn’t effect the tip in any measurable way. I then used the file inside the track of the pivot control pin where it touched in the closed position. Twenty minutes of filing later and I had removed enough material tha the tip to no longer presented a cutting hazard. (Not enough material was removed to effect the detent in a negative way. If anything, it improved it!)

I suspect the inconsistency we are seeing with this issue is because of the track of this pivot control stop pin. The tolerances are extremely small for a stamped metal part. Also of note, this inconsistency was only found on the lock bar scale insert. This is a pretty small sample size for any conclusions, but I suspect the stress of stamping the metal in such close proximity to each other (pin track and lock bar) causes just enough deformation to stop the blade a few thousands of an inch higher than intended. This could be why my detent improved; I brought the intended alignment back into spec.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Good info Zatx. And congrats on a successful mod. It sounds like your ball is resting a little deeper in the detent. Of course if too much material were removed, the result would probably be slop or play in the ball detent.
camvdcs

Post by camvdcs »

Well this sucks. My tracking says my package with Ikuchi arrive in my mailbox and its not there. It's a locked box. My guess is the USPS guy delivered it to the wrong address. This is just great.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I know what you mean. I’ve been following mine and this morning the USPS system reported “Delay in transit”. Saturday it was in Colorado Springs which is a two hour drive away. Being at the end of the road out here I just though, oh well, tomorrow. But, now the tracking says it was delivered to the PO at 8:03 this morning. Maybe I will have it in a couple of hours.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

UPS lost mine this morning then called me 15 minutes later after finding it and I turned around and went back for it. 😉
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Mine came this afternoon. Works as advertised. No issues at all.

Paul, a most excellent and exciting design. My Icuchi will be spending a great deal of time in my pocket. Thanks!
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
toocool006

Post by toocool006 »

I also had the tip issue - I initially thought it wasn't really much of a problem and I'd just be cautious, but pulling the knife out of my pocket and getting pricked in the pinky (nothing serious but enough to draw blood) convinced me that something needed to be done.

Like many other members here, I took down the top just a bit on sharpmaker rods (medium then fine). I'm happy with the result, the tip ends up having a little dip to it not unlike the point on a delica or endura, and now sits safely so that no matter what I try it will not taste flesh.
~andrew
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

I like the look of the Ripps clips and they look like they would reduce or eliminate the hotspot that makes wire clips unusable for me. Unfortunately the knife, plus clip, shipping and exchange rates turns the Ikuchi into nearly a $300 knife and that’s if I don’t get hit with import fees/duties on top of that. Maybe down the road I’ll trade for one or something cause I really like my Smock, and SK23’s “top flipper” and assume I’d enjoy the Ikuchi’s variation of that type of flipper.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

After more practice I can now open it easily with my thumb although it does require a bit of contortion to get my hand into position with the pinky braced against the bottom of the clip.
I'll also add - since Spyderco takes a lot of flack for this on their flipper models- the detent is perfectly dialed in.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Yesterday I was putting my wallet in my shorts pocket and my ring finger went on the inside face of the knife and I got a cut on my knuckle from the tip of the blade. Will def be more careful from now on. This knife has cut me up pretty good so far but I still really like the design. I just keep thinking about a cutleryshoppe exclusive version with a 20CV DLC blade
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Cali HogHead

Post by Cali HogHead »

Thought I should add my experience with this knife. There is apparently some diversity in examples of the Ikuchi. My knifes wheel jimping is smooth on the top edge that is catching some peoples finger meat. The tip on my knife does catch some skin if I press into the end by the standoff. The detent on this knife is excellent, great job Spyderco! Ultimately very happy with this knife. Great design Paul, happy to carry this slim and effective knife.
dodgie02

Post by dodgie02 »

So, I'm from the Netherlands and my most recent reply was about acquiring a ikuchi. Unfortunately that was changed to a back burner order, eta in 2 months. Last I checked the kapara is still out of stock everywhere as well. Bit unhappy with it Ofcourse. I've been eyeing the ikuchi since it was announced, and I'm totally into the 940 length and width type of blades, also blown away by the smoke tm1 so my interest in this different style light carry folder is up there.
I'm half debating getting one off dlt trading but import fees are no laughing matter. At 165 eur I find it already well priced considering it's slightly below what a pm2 would run for and on par with the bugout, while offering a more sophisticated build and materials putting it above the Endura delica market (which can run for 100-110 here, auch)

Is Taichung having trouble keeping up with demand or what's up I wonder?
Ruikevg10

Post by Ruikevg10 »

I received my Ikuchi yesterday and found that I could catch the tip of a finger or thumb on the tip of the closed blade if I pressed too hard. I think a larger diameter stand off could reduce the gap and until I can find one I glued a small piece of black plastic to the standoff and between the liners, need to file it flush to the liners. This makes the gap between the standoff and the tip to of the blade too small so no more snagging on the tip of the blade.

Last edited by Ruikevg10 on Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Yep closed position tip has got me more than once.

I coin this condition now and forever more "Ikuchi Finger"

Definition: When a closed folder should secure the user against being cut by the tip of the knife but does not.
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

I've been asked by some people to illustrate the modifications I made to eliminate my Ikuchi bites. I'll show you what I did, but don't blame me if you screw something up. :)

I'm stealing Paul's photo for this description because the Loctite just finished drying on my knife and I really don't want to disassemble it and redo all of that work!

First here is the only tool you need (other than the normal tools to disassemble your knife):

This is a 3mm diamond needle file that can be ordered from Amazon. It was a few dollars for a ten pack.

Now, I first filed a small amount from the choil on the blade (as indicated by the red circle on the RIGHT). This may or may not be necessary. It didn't move the tip downward in any appreciable way and could most likely be omitted as one of the steps.

What I found that lowered the tip and brought the length of the blade fully flush with the scales (and even slightly recessed) was to file material from the track that the pivot control pin rides within (red circle on LEFT). Not the entire track mind you, just where it ends next to the lock bar cutout. Do you see that tiny bit of metal between the end and the space between that metal and the lock bar? That's what I filed, and the amount removed was barely visible (but took quite a bit of effort). Given the size of the file and the small opening of that track, you can't shove it in there very far, so it was a lot of pushing and pulling on the file. Be sure to alternate sides, so your filing is even.

Take it slow and reassemble to check your progress often. I still had plenty of material remaining on that tiny bit of metal when I was satisfied with my results. However, I must have reassembled the knife four or five times before reaching this point. The only way I can have any skin contact the tip now is to jam my pinky in there and slide it towards the tip.

Hope this helps you guys save your fingers! I just couldn't bear the thought of sanding down the needle-like tip of this knife, it's one of its best qualities!

[EDIT: After reviewing the picture I noticed that Paul's example has way less metal between the track and the opening for the lock bar than my example. The extra metal on mine could be the quality control point causing the observed problems I and others are/were experiencing.]

[EDIT #2: Just to clarify, I did not have to make any adjustments to the other scale liner (non-lock bar side).]
Last edited by Zatx on Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Zatx wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:43 pm
I've been asked by some people to illustrate the modifications I made to eliminate my Ikuchi bites. I'll show you what I did, but don't blame me if you screw something up. :)

I'm stealing Paul's photo for this description because the Loctite just finished drying on my knife and I really don't want to disassemble it and redo all of that work!

First here is the only tool you need (other than the normal tools to disassemble your knife):

This is a 3mm diamond needle file that can be ordered from Amazon. It was a few dollars for a ten pack.

Now, I first filed a small amount from the choil on the blade (as indicated by the red circle on the RIGHT). This may or may not be necessary. It didn't move the tip downward in any appreciable way and could most likely be omitted as one of the steps.

What I found that lowered the tip and brought the length of the blade fully flush with the scales (and even slightly recessed) was to file material from the track that the pivot control pin rides within (red circle on LEFT). Not the entire track mind you, just where it ends next to the lock bar cutout. Do you see that tiny bit of metal between the end and the space between that metal and the lock bar? That's what I filed, and the amount removed was barely visible (but took quite a bit of effort). Given the size of the file and the small opening of that track, you can't shove it in there very far, so it was a lot of pushing and pulling on the file. Be sure to alternate sides, so your filing is even.

Take it slow and reassemble to check your progress often. I still had plenty of material remaining on that tiny bit of metal when I was satisfied with my results. However, I must have reassembled the knife four or five times before reaching this point. The only way I can have any skin contact the tip now is to jam my pinky in there and slide it towards the tip.

Hope this helps you guys save your fingers! I just couldn't bear the thought of sanding down the needle-like tip of this knife, it's one of its best qualities!
Thank you very much! this clarifies what you shared earlier tremendously.
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Zatx wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:43 pm
Thank you Zatx for the detailed explanation!
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

You guys are welcome.

As I think more about the problem, here is what I'm guessing. When they stamped the first run of those liners they probably had a few crack or outright break at the point highlighted above. Maybe it wasn't as extreme as this, it might have just been that someone saw how little metal was there and said, "Whoa, let's move that a bit," but they failed to realize how that would affect the blade geometry when the knife was closed. This could explain why some of the examples don't have a more exposed tip and some do. Either way, it looks like it should be an easy fix for the next production run.
Colorodo

Post by Colorodo »

dodgie02 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:18 pm
So, I'm from the Netherlands and my most recent reply was about acquiring a ikuchi. Unfortunately that was changed to a back burner order, eta in 2 months. Last I checked the kapara is still out of stock everywhere as well. Bit unhappy with it Ofcourse. I've been eyeing the ikuchi since it was announced, and I'm totally into the 940 length and width type of blades, also blown away by the smoke tm1 so my interest in this different style light carry folder is up there.
I'm half debating getting one off dlt trading but import fees are no laughing matter. At 165 eur I find it already well priced considering it's slightly below what a pm2 would run for and on par with the bugout, while offering a more sophisticated build and materials putting it above the Endura delica market (which can run for 100-110 here, auch)

Is Taichung having trouble keeping up with demand or what's up I wonder?
DLTtrading has them in stock.