Mule Team

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Crux

Re: Mule Team

Post by Crux »

sal wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:30 pm
Nothing lasts forever. I believe we still have inventory of older Mule Teams.

sal
Sal,
I'd love to see a price list and ordering possibility for these fine animals. I'd also love to take those old dusty mules off your hands and give them a good home where they will be loved and cherished. A chance to live their lives doing what they were born to do, cut things, breath the air and be free. I am sure I speak for us all when I say they've earned it, they deserve it, it's their right.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

sal wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:30 pm
Nothing lasts forever. I believe we still have inventory of older Mule Teams.

sal
This could be exciting. Where do I sign up?
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Coincidentally I’ve been wanting a fixed Spydie for a while and just ordered the B70p mule from the SFO, with scales and sheath. I’ve sold my Elmax Urban to help pay for it; needless to say I have high hopes and don’t anticipate disappointment!

It must have been the last one as it’s now showing out of stock. RWL34 and Micromelt PD#1 are still available - last chance, people!
Gurney Halleck

Post by Gurney Halleck »

I just got a B70P too, i might have to get another one before its too late.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Crux wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:16 pm
Sal,
I'd love to see a price list and ordering possibility for these fine animals.

Here you go:

https://www.spyderco.com/?s=Mule+team
:spyder:
Nate

Post by Nate »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:49 am
Coincidentally I’ve been wanting a fixed Spydie for a while and just ordered the B70p mule from the SFO, with scales and sheath. I’ve sold my Elmax Urban to help pay for it; needless to say I have high hopes and don’t anticipate disappointment!

It must have been the last one as it’s now showing out of stock. RWL34 and Micromelt PD#1 are still available - last chance, people!

Might be sold out, or they may just need to load more inventory. Probably worth giving them a call if anyone else is looking for that one. I already have 2. :)
sal

Post by sal »

We don't keep any of the Mule Team pieces (except for personal collections) so the older pieces are no longer available. We have done a few projects that have been disco'd over the years ( eg; Kopa's Q's, Mule Teaams, etc. ).

We currently have the Sage, Ethnic and Chaparral series currently in production.

sal
Crux

Post by Crux »

Nate wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:26 am
Crux wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:16 pm
Sal,
I'd love to see a price list and ordering possibility for these fine animals.

Here you go:

https://www.spyderco.com/?s=Mule+team
No, I'm talking about the older ones Sal spoke of. I have all of those on that page.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:49 am

Just so people know, PD#1 is for all practical purposes Cruwear made by Carpenter Steel.

The fact that these are still in stock after all these months sort of tells the whole story -- that people have lost interest in the Mule Team project. From what I have heard, the Mule Team blades used to sell out fairly quickly. Unless Spyderco did a bigger run of these more recent blades for some reason.

So I can see why they would make the call to end the project if the blades aren't selling and people have lost interest.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:18 pm
Just so people know, PD#1 is for all practical purposes Cruwear made by Carpenter Steel.

The fact that these are still in stock after all these months sort of tells the whole story -- that people have lost interest in the Mule Team project. From what I have heard, the Mule Team blades used to sell out fairly quickly. Unless Spyderco did a bigger run of these more recent blades for some reason.

So I can see why they would make the call to end the project if the blades aren't selling and people have lost interest.
The frenzied stir at the mention of a Cruwear blade somehow missed by the PD#1 moniker? Seems that tough and Cruwear go hand in hand along with a fixed blade...
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

Crux wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:01 am

No, I'm talking about the older ones Sal spoke of. I have all of those on that page.

I think you're misinterpreting what Sal said. I think those are the older ones he meant. That RWL34 is a few years old and still available.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:22 pm
Crux wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:01 am

I think you're misinterpreting what Sal said. I think those are the older ones he meant. That RWL34 is a few years old and still available.
Yeah, I just noticed that. That would be an awesome little fixed blade to have...
Nate

Post by Nate »

Dunno how far-fetched this idea is, but if it's possible to squeeze out one more run... it would be really cool for Spyderco to debut Larrin's "New Steel" in a Mule Team blade.

The Last Mule. :eek:
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

MT26 (PMA11) just came back into stock on the Spyderco site.
archangel

Post by archangel »

On a personal note, and despite the fact that due to my current personal regime I only own one MT myself, I think that the idea behind the MT Project is a really great one, and the cancellation a real big loss.

Of course I understand that economics are running your business, and numbers must not be red. Sal, Sir, is the door closed once and for all? No chance to revive the project, maybe at different quantities? Or another idea (could very well be that it has been proposed before, I just haven't seen it): how about selling the mules through SFO and dealers? SFO could keep a small stock and the dealers the bigger half? Was this ever considered?

If I'd ever give up my rule and collect multiple items of a model, the MTs would be on top of the list. Where else can you get the chance to evaluate so many different steels in such a multi purpose package, good for outdoors and for home and the kitchen, and at such reasonable prices? You can even try out different handle materials and ergos (flat or 3D), or test your own skills trying to selfmake them. Sadly, all this would have to be rephrased to past tense, if this program is ended.

Sal, please keep the door open.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Archangel,

On the future, we rarely say "never".

If we sold the Mule Teams through dealers, they probably would have to cost twice as much due to the distribution chain. Also, most dealer are not interested in short term stuff. it's a PITA.

sal
archangel

Post by archangel »

Twice as much is hard, that would certainly not increase sales. That IS a pain...

Why do you consider the mules to be short term stuff? Exclusives, they sometimes sell out within much less than an hour. I'd say THAT is short term stuff. And the distributors seem to like it.
Michael
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
sal

Post by sal »

I think the number of steel junky's is limited and the expendable funds they have is limited. We were only able to offer them as we could because of low margins and consumer direct. More of a "gift" to the steel junky's than a profitable project.

sal
Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

TomAiello wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:38 am
MT26 (PMA11) just came back into stock on the Spyderco site.
Thanks for that! I was kicking myself that I didn't pick one of these up after I saw they were out of stock several weeks ago. I was hoping there was a chance they would put more up since it wasn't moved to the "discontinued" section. Just ordered one!
archangel

Post by archangel »

As always, I thank you for your input, Sal.

I own the RWL34 version, and since it's a pretty rare steel, I'm gonna keep it. I appreciate the opportunity given by you.
Michael