Mule Team

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
David R

Re: Mule Team

Post by David R »

swigert wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:03 pm
sal wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:30 pm
Nothing lasts forever. I believe we still have inventory of older Mule Teams.

sal
What exactly does this mean? Do you guys have stock of the early steels?
There are still a few models for sale on the Spyderco site.

fwiw, I saw that an MT05 (9Cr18Mo) recently sold on eBay for $110 + shipping. Yikes! This doesn't look good for those of us trying to pick up a few more of these knives. And it makes the ones left on the Spyderco site look like even more of a bargain.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Did they ever offer FRN scales for the Mules? I'm watching Cedric test the 52100 mule and for a second I thought it had FRN handles but then I realized I've never seen them anywhere so I assume he just has a custom scale with a similar looking pattern on the handle. Also I think the Waterway should be the new mule, maybe make a version with screwed on handles
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

At this point I would just say use the Para 3 LW as a new folding mule for any new steels. The Para 3 already has plenty of steels that can be used for apples to apples comparisons. You could designate a particular scale color (like white...or that crystal clear FRCP??) for a mule that would help draw the line to keep them separate as their own niche product line. I think there is still interest in the mule program, but a folding mule would make more sense so us urban warriors could carry it for EDC and actually get to use it for every day things.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:41 am
a folding mule would make more sense.
But it would make less sense for the program because part of testing the steels is putting them through very abusive tasks and the last thing you do with a folder, especially a lightweight, is a very abusive task. Yes, they'd sell a lot more, but how much would we really learn? Not nearly as much.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

steelcity16 wrote:
At this point I would just say use the Para 3 LW as a new folding mule for any new steels.
I'd like that personally, but the UKPK would make it more accessible to a wider range of people.

A member in Europe might be very interested in trying out the new "mule" steels, but they can't really EDC them in a fixed blade, and in many cases can't EDC them in a locking folder either.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:08 am
steelcity16 wrote:
a folding mule would make more sense.
But it would make less sense for the program because part of testing the steels is putting them through very abusive tasks and the last thing you do with a folder, especially a lightweight, is a very abusive task. Yes, they'd sell a lot more, but how much would we really learn? Not nearly as much.

Disagree here. Spyderco's bread and butter are folding knives. Why would you be testing steels you want to see in upcoming folders in an abusive way? Most people here care about edge retention and their mule testing consists of cutting miles of rope, cordage, and cardboard. Stuff you could do with a Para 3 LW. What good is it to Spyderco to know that how well a Vanax fixed mule can baton through a 3" branch if there are going to make a new Native Salt with it? If anything a folding mule encourages testers to test it in a way that is more relevant to what will likely be the ultimate end product and usage rather than doing thing like batoning, prying, and other abusive tasks.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

I wish the Para 3 blade stock was a bit thinner. I'd rather use the LW Chappy or something thinner than the PM3 but I'm glad it finally has a wire clip

I'd like the mule to also be locking
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:17 am
Why would you be testing steels you want to see in upcoming folders in an abusive way?

Isn't that what Spyderco does with their steels to test them? And isn't that what the Mule project was? An extension of Spyderco's arduous testing to give feedback? If people won't be testing a steel by pushing it to all its limits (LW folder) to find out what the steel is all about, then I'd argue there's no need for a mule anymore. Just put the new steels out in sprints like usual so people can cut their rope and open boxes.

I'm not saying to stop coming out with exotic steels in folders. I'm just saying it probably shouldn't be considered part of a Mule project. It would be a shadow of what it was.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:09 am
steelcity16 wrote:
Why would you be testing steels you want to see in upcoming folders in an abusive way?

Isn't that what Spyderco does with their steels to test them? And isn't that what the Mule project was? An extension of Spyderco's arduous testing to give feedback? If people won't be testing a steel by pushing it to all its limits (LW folder) to find out what the steel is all about, then I'd argue there's no need for a mule anymore. Just put the new steels out in sprints like usual so people can cut their rope and open boxes.

I'm not saying to stop coming out with exotic steels in folders. I'm just saying it probably shouldn't be considered part of a Mule project. It would be a shadow of what it was.

A Para 3 LW mule would still allow people to test new steels in folder-specific tasks without having to spend $150-200 or more for the flagship G10 models. Then they would know if they really want to drop $200 on the next Military exclusive in a new exotic steel. The Para 3 is still a relatively inexpensive knife that people would feel more comfortable beating (you can still abuse these folders within reason) on than a limited exclusive/sprint run. So it also has the benefit of allowing people to actually use and enjoy a steel that they otherwise might not for fear of messing up an exclusive that can later be resold for $300-400 on eBay.

I would certainly buy pretty every mule if they were in White FRN or Clear FRCP Para 3 LWs for ~$100 give or take depending the the steel used. And I would feel comfortable using them all to their limits.
ihped1

Post by ihped1 »

Can't wait to pick up my pd1 mule at home. Now I need to either make/buy some scales.
loamy47

Post by loamy47 »

steelcity16 wrote:
A Para 3 LW mule would still allow people to test new steels in folder-specific tasks without having to spend $150-200 or more for the flagship G10 models. Then they would know if they really want to drop $200 on the next Military exclusive in a new exotic steel. The Para 3 is still a relatively inexpensive knife that people would feel more comfortable beating (you can still abuse these folders within reason) on than a limited exclusive/sprint run. So it also has the benefit of allowing people to actually use and enjoy a steel that they otherwise might not for fear of messing up an exclusive that can later be resold for $300-400 on eBay.

I would certainly buy pretty every mule if they were in White FRN or Clear FRCP Para 3 LWs for ~$100 give or take depending the the steel used. And I would feel comfortable using them all to their limits.
That's really not a bad idea. It'd also give people on a tighter budget a chance to try out knives in some exotic steels they wouldn't be able to get their hands on any other way. I for one would appreciate it. I know that point of view is less oriented on the trial and learning part of the mule team concept, but it's just an added benefit.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

The existing fixed mule can do every cutting task that a folding one could do, but cheaper.

Also (even the cheapest) limited run folder would just be a sprint run, and so way more collectible, and way less likely to get into the hands of steel afi’s. As Sal said, the mules were always just a gift to edge junkies.
ihped1

Post by ihped1 »

Got my mule, looks like an awesome little fixed blade. Tried making scales out of leather sandwiched to kydex. First time making scales so one side isn't even lined up, but I will try making that side again. Also don't have any fastener long enough except for copper rivets and I want them to be removable. I do have Chicago screws, but they are just a little too thick for the holes.
Attachments
Resizer_15562390336580.jpg
ihped1

Post by ihped1 »

Made a leather sheath with matching colours. Pretty comfortable in the hand and on the belt.
Attachments
Resizer_15567659362110.jpg
Resizer_15567659362111.jpg
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:19 am
The existing fixed mule can do every cutting task that a folding one could do, but cheaper.
Yes, but it can't be EDC'd by a large number of forum members, who live in restrictive jurisdictions.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

TomAiello wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 10:30 pm
ChrisinHove wrote:
Yes, but it can't be EDC'd by a large number of forum members, who live in restrictive jurisdictions.

Exactly! Or even for people who don't live in restrictive areas who just want to be able to carry a mule all day for real world testing. Most people, regardless of profession, aren't carrying fixed blade while on the job. And your arent going to carry a fixed blade while running errands, eating at restaurants, out in public, etc. Some of us want to use the mule program for real world use because we may not have time to devote an hour a day to cutting a mile of cardboard or rope. I'm happy for those who do have that time and are able to do more scientific tests for us, but my life doesn't allow for that right now. A folding mule give the rest of us a chance to participate.
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 10:41 pm
TomAiello wrote:
ChrisinHove wrote:

Exactly! Or even for people who don't live in restrictive areas who just want to be able to carry a mule all day for real world testing. Most people, regardless of profession, aren't carrying fixed blade while on the job. And your arent going to carry a fixed blade while running errands, eating at restaurants, out in public, etc. Some of us want to use the mule program for real world use because we may not have time to devote an hour a day to cutting a mile of cardboard or rope. I'm happy for those who do have that time and are able to do more scientific tests for us, but my life doesn't allow for that right now. A folding mule give the rest of us a chance to participate.
But spyderco sells plenty of folders in a huge array of steels. Is there something about the shape of the mule that you can't find in a folder? Or does the mule line have a more complete list of steels than other lines?

A folding mule wouldn't be any cheaper than any other folder spyderco makes
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Marulaghost wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 10:51 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 10:41 pm
TomAiello wrote:
ChrisinHove wrote:

But spyderco sells plenty of folders in a huge array of steels. Is there something about the shape of the mule that you can't find in a folder? Or does the mule line have a more complete list of steels than other lines?

A folding mule wouldn't be any cheaper than any other folder spyderco makes

The idea is releasing a new steel in a limited run for steel junkies to test before putting it into production blades. And having them all be the same model so they can be compared apples to apples. Ideally they would have all been folders from the beginning, so you have many steels in the same blade shape to compare. A Para 3 LW would be a good choice now though because you can compare to all of the Para 3 exclusives in all of the many steels.
Mattysc42

Post by Mattysc42 »

I think the ukpk would be a better option than a para3 lw. I’d love to see a folder mule in the ukpk platform.
BRING ON THE MANIX XL SPRINTS AND EXCLUSIVES! And 10v or K390ify the Golden lineup, please.

Top 5 folders I’ve owned: Serrated Caribbean Leaf, Shaman, Manix XL, ZDP-189/CF Caly 3.5, Native LW.
Top 5 steels I’ve owned: LC200N, K390, CPM S90V, M390, CPM REX45.
Top 3 steels I want more of: M390 class, A11 class (including K390), CPM REX45.
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 11:15 pm
A Para 3 LW would be a good choice now though because you can compare to all of the Para 3 exclusives in all of the many steels.

They would essentially be Para 3 sprints then. No difference, really.