Mule Team

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
steelcity16

Re: Mule Team

Post by steelcity16 »

fixall wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 11:03 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 8:35 pm
NickoP wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 6:15 pm
Knife collecting being a relatively recent hobby of mine, I only found out about the Mule Team project a couple of weeks ago.
Around that time I had to cut a branch off a walnut tree in my garden. Just yesterday I retrieved that branch that I'd left laying on the grass, cut a piece off, placed it inside a shed, with the intention of buying a blade for which I could attempt to make a handle one day, having very little idea how to go about that, thinking youtube would get me started. I was very much looking forward to it. Today I find out ... no more mules. Disappointed !

There are a few still available on Spyderco's website. PD1 steel would be the one to get.
Absolutely this!

I'd go read up about CRU-WEAR and then go rush to buy the PD#1 Mule Team just as fast as you can (which is what I did, lol). Micro-Melt PD#1 is basically CarTech's (Carpenter) version of Crucible's CRU-WEAR. Really, really fantastic stuff!

Just got mine today! I gave it a quick hockey tape grip so I could put it to use before my real scale material arrives!!

:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Picked up mule team 20 and 22 today. Suspect they will be around for a while yet. Probably is the last of them... :(

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

steelcity16 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 8:32 pm
fixall wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 11:03 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 8:35 pm
NickoP wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 6:15 pm
Knife collecting being a relatively recent hobby of mine, I only found out about the Mule Team project a couple of weeks ago.
Around that time I had to cut a branch off a walnut tree in my garden. Just yesterday I retrieved that branch that I'd left laying on the grass, cut a piece off, placed it inside a shed, with the intention of buying a blade for which I could attempt to make a handle one day, having very little idea how to go about that, thinking youtube would get me started. I was very much looking forward to it. Today I find out ... no more mules. Disappointed !

There are a few still available on Spyderco's website. PD1 steel would be the one to get.
Absolutely this!

I'd go read up about CRU-WEAR and then go rush to buy the PD#1 Mule Team just as fast as you can (which is what I did, lol). Micro-Melt PD#1 is basically CarTech's (Carpenter) version of Crucible's CRU-WEAR. Really, really fantastic stuff!

Just got mine today! I gave it a quick hockey tape grip so I could put it to use before my real scale material arrives!!

You can get that tool dip stuff from ACE or other hardware stores that is used to coat hammer grips and other tool grips. Dip the Mule handle in it and viola! It comes in colors and different textures, too.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
fixall

Post by fixall »

Almost there! The rear of the knife needs to be thinned a bit... But it's getting close!

P.S.
PD#1 is a heck of a steel!

legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

fixall wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:32 pm
Almost there! The rear of the knife needs to be thinned a bit... But it's getting close!

P.S.
PD#1 is a heck of a steel!
Looks good fixall! PD#1 is a great steel, I have a couple laid out for some cold weather knife projects just have to decide on scale material.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:06 am
fixall wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:32 pm
Looks good fixall! PD#1 is a great steel, I have a couple laid out for some cold weather knife projects just have to decide on scale material.
Nice work fixall! Around these parts, it is hot weather knife projects. And I have a couple of PD#1 Mules waiting for July to roll around.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:47 pm
Nice work fixall! Around these parts, it is hot weather knife projects. And I have a couple of PD#1 Mules waiting for July to roll around.
I did several this summer but only pinned two, the others were removable scales in various G10/Micarta combos. I'm still learning and having fun with it.
Played with some Raffir Noble brass/bronze:
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:53 am
....Played with some Raffir Noble brass/bronze:...
Very nice work!
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Xplorer wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:43 am
legOFwhat? wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:53 am
....Played with some Raffir Noble brass/bronze:...
Very nice work!
Thanks Chad! Maybe one day I'll be able to work them like you and others...maybe :D
-Larry
MNOSD #0049
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:59 am
Thanks Chad! Maybe one day I'll be able to work them like you and others...maybe :D
Thank you, but it looks to me like you're already there. Pin placement looks good, the decorative pin looks nice, contouring looks nice, the pins do not appear to be standing "proud" above the scales (which can be an issue with soft materials like Raffir), and the handle material itself is a good looking choice. What's left to do? I'd be proud to carry that Mule as I imagine you are. Well done! :)

Have you tried making a sheath for that one?
Last edited by Xplorer on Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

oops...deleted duplicate
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Xplorer wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:52 am
legOFwhat? wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:59 am
Thank you, but it looks to me like you're already there. Pin placement looks good, the decorative pin looks nice, contouring looks nice, the pins do not appear to be standing "proud" above the scales (which can be an issue with soft materials like Raffir), and the handle material itself is a good looking choice. What's left to do? I'd be proud to carry that Mule as I imagine you are. Well done! :)

Have you tried making a sheath for that one?
No just set it on a small stand and moved on to the next. I made a small jig for Kydex and have a sheath made for about 10 mules of various colors but have only purchased MT leather sheaths for the "nicer" scale material. I'll try leather before long once I learn more and purchase the correct tools.
-Larry
MNOSD #0049
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:02 pm
No just set it on a small stand and moved on to the next. I made a small jig for Kydex and have a sheath made for about 10 mules of various colors but have only purchased MT leather sheaths for the "nicer" scale material. I'll try leather before long once I learn more and purchase the correct tools.
Ok cool. Good call. I was going to warn you that when you try to mold hot kydex onto resin materials like Raffir and Kirinite they will take on the texture of the inside of the kydex and you'll have to re-sand them to restore the finish (which can potentially make fitting into the sheath a little looser than intended) ..it can be a pain if you're not thinking of dealing with it in advance. :)

I've invested heavily in leather working tools over the past year and really enjoy working with leather now. If you have any questions as you get started let me know. I'd be happy to help if I can.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Xplorer wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:41 pm
legOFwhat? wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:02 pm
Ok cool. Good call. I was going to warn you that when you try to mold hot kydex onto resin materials like Raffir and Kirinite they will take on the texture of the inside of the kydex and you'll have to re-sand them to restore the finish (which can potentially make fitting into the sheath a little looser than intended) ..it can be a pain if you're not thinking of dealing with it in advance. :)

I've invested heavily in leather working tools over the past year and really enjoy working with leather now. If you have any questions as you get started let me know. I'd be happy to help if I can.
Yeah the Kydex/Kirinite got on early on, nothing deep but when you start chasing scratches it takes a while to level up. I've found dirt/ debris will find it's way onto the Kydex real easy when it's up to temp and will embed it's self as it cools making it a pain to dig out. That's what you get when using an old hotplate :D

Thank you for the offer I'll take you up on that once I get going.
-Larry
MNOSD #0049
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:53 pm
... That's what you get when using an old hotplate :D
If you weren't already thinking about it, I'd suggest a cheap toaster oven for heating your Kydex. I have an old cheap one mounted in my garage that I've been using exclusively for kydex for over 3 years now. :) Works great!
FullScaler

Post by FullScaler »

I love the concept behind the Mule Team project. It is one of those things that really makes Spyderco stand out from a lot of the other knife manufacturers out there. It really gives knife aficionados a chance to get their hands on some premium steels without breaking the bank. This can get them talking about Spyderco to others and help spread the brand name.

Not only is it a great gift to knife lovers and Spyderco lovers as a whole, but it is a great bit of marketing that helps differentiate the brand from so many others. It is one of those bits of marketing that is hard to determine the exact returns form the work that goes into it, but i would bet dollars to doughnuts that the real world effect of the Mule Team Project has helped spread the Spyderco brand and reputation more than most people would believe.

I work construction by trade but i am a leathersmith and stonesmith in my spare-ish time and i cannot wait to get my hands on some Mule blades to throw some stone handles on them, custom make and hand tool some sheaths and get these premium knife steels out into the bush so i can see how they hold up to my real world bushcraft abuse.

Well done Spyderco, Well done. (Slow golf clap. :P )
Every day in my pockets, Wallet, Keys, Phone, Light, and Knife.

Https://BladeProtection.com
FullScaler

Post by FullScaler »

I love the concept behind the Mule Team project. It is one of those things that really makes Spyderco stand out from a lot of the other knife manufacturers out there. It really gives knife aficionados a chance to get their hands on some premium steels without breaking the bank. This can get them talking about Spyderco to others and help spread the brand name.

Not only is it a great gift to knife lovers and Spyderco lovers as a whole, but it is a great bit of marketing that helps differentiate the brand from so many others. It is one of those bits of marketing that is hard to determine the exact returns form the work that goes into it, but i would bet dollars to doughnuts that the real world effect of the Mule Team Project has helped spread the Spyderco brand and reputation more than most people would believe.

I work construction by trade but i am a leathersmith and stonesmith in my spare-ish time and i cannot wait to get my hands on some Mule blades to throw some stone handles on them, custom make and hand tool some sheaths and get these premium knife steels out into the bush so i can see how they hold up to my real world bushcraft abuse.

Well done Spyderco, Well done. (Slow golf clap. :P )
Every day in my pockets, Wallet, Keys, Phone, Light, and Knife.

Https://BladeProtection.com
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

I am noticing these are mostly out of stock!!! Doesn't look like the remaining model has been adjusted for 2020 pricing. No sign of them in the 2020 product guide but don't think they ever were in the catalogs. Fixed blade lovers have to be crying; this was a great one!!!! :confused:

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Cycleguy,

Mule Teams are consumer direct from SFO only.

sal
swigert

Post by swigert »

sal wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:09 pm
Hi Cycleguy,

Mule Teams are consumer direct from SFO only.

sal

Sal,

With mule team kicking off again will halpern titanium be making more scales?