Paramilitary 2 mod with glass breaker

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Eagleknives

Paramilitary 2 mod with glass breaker

Post by Eagleknives »

I was wondering if there is a mod where you can put a glass breaker tip on the handle of a paramilitary 2? Does anyone sell an accessory like that online?
Crybot

Re: Paramilitary 2 mod with glass breaker

Post by Crybot »

I'm curious, too. I'm trying to put together a build for some LEO family members.
MOTOR51

Post by MOTOR51 »

With the new safety glass(think windshield glass on side windows) the glass breaker is becoming a thing of the past. I smashed one with a halligan tool several weeks ago and had to pull the whole window out. A local deputy crashed and was trapped upside down in water on a desolate road. He had to take the muzzle of his rifle and make a bunch of holes in order to kick it out.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Check out 5x5 Combat.

They come close, but no cigar. They have a seat belt cutter/glass breaker combo for the delicata & endura, they might be able to make one for the Para 2.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Eagleknives, Crybot and Motor51,

Welcome to our forum.

We have a glass breaker on our Assist model, but retracts so it doesn't scrape up your hand sticking out of the back of the handle of a knife clipped to your pocket. It's specially shaped carbide for optimal breaking.

sal
Robbob

Post by Robbob »

MOTOR51 wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:57 pm
With the new safety glass(think windshield glass on side windows) the glass breaker is becoming a thing of the past. I smashed one with a halligan tool several weeks ago and had to pull the whole window out. A local deputy crashed and was trapped upside down in water on a desolate road. He had to take the muzzle of his rifle and make a bunch of holes in order to kick it out.
Cullman County?
MOTOR51

Post by MOTOR51 »

Robbob wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:55 pm
MOTOR51 wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:57 pm
Cullman County?
No sir, East Baton Rouge La.
MOTOR51

Post by MOTOR51 »

sal wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:11 am

Welcome to our forum.

We have a glass breaker on our Assist model, but retracts so it doesn't scrape up your hand sticking out of the back of the handle of a knife clipped to your pocket. It's specially shaped carbide for optimal breaking.

sal
Thanks you sir, might be the wrong place for this but I recently ordered a few PM2’s using your LEO discount. I just want to say thank you for offering this discount, it is much appreciated.
MOTOR51

Post by MOTOR51 »

double tap

sal
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

So cars are now shipping with laminated side glass? This is the first I’d heard of that. That’ll make getting out really hard to do if the doors and windows don’t work. Wow. We will all need shaped charges to escape a wreck.
MOTOR51

Post by MOTOR51 »

Bill1170 wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:31 am
So cars are now shipping with laminated side glass? This is the first I’d heard of that. That’ll make getting out really hard to do if the doors and windows don’t work. Wow. We will all need shaped charges to escape a wreck.
That is correct.
MOTOR51

Post by MOTOR51 »

Bill1170 wrote:
Here is a link, if I’m allowed to post it on the forum

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.carand ... breakable/
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Laminated side-window glass is definitely becoming more prevalent. At the SHOT Show, I discussed this with several law enforcement officers who were concerned with vehicle breaching. They were giving the Warrior Hawk long looks and were curious how it would do against laminated glass. Laci Szabo, the hawk's designer and a SWAT cop (who was also at the show), confirmed that it does quite well. He uses the spike side to punch through an upper corner of the window, spidering the glass and hooking the spike through the laminate layer so he can pull the window out.

Stay safe,

Mike
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Motors, Mike,

Thanx for the info.

And Motors, you're welcome. thanx for your service.

sal
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Welcome to the forum fellow Louisiana person
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
MOTOR51

Post by MOTOR51 »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:03 pm
Welcome to the forum fellow Louisiana person
Thank you sir
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

MOTOR51 wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:29 am
Bill1170 wrote:
Here is a link, if I’m allowed to post it on the forum

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.carand ... breakable/
Thank you, MOTOR51. That article was helpful. The sound thing was my first thought, then I read about the anti-ejection thing.
racerx454

Post by racerx454 »

sal wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:11 am

Welcome to our forum.

sal
I've previously posted this, but +1 for the Assist. I have used one on duty (firefighting) for years. Several members of my department and neighboring department have purchased them based on seeing mine. The H1 alloy is nice because I can forget it in my bunker gear and not worry about it being seized up with rust the next time I go to use it. The Assist replaced a rescue knife from a competitor of Spyderco.

Having said that, I'd love a backspacer with integrated glass breaker (round variety) for use with a PM2. Make it GITD while we're at it!
Attachments
Spyderco_Assist_small.jpg
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Wow I had no idea the orange hammer tool I keep in my car is basically useless for it's intended purpose! I wonder if cops here will believe my warrior hawk is mounted in the car within reach for safety/emergency use?
-Turbo
sal

Post by sal »

The problem that I ran into while testing glass breakers that stuck out of the back of the knife would rake my hand every time I brushed past it. Another problem is that many companies use steel instead of carbide. I've even seen some companies use broker carbide router bits and try to pass them off as glass breakers.

We broke hundreds of windows in wrecking yards developing our carbide glass breaker on the Assist. Shape makes a difference. Type of carbide makes a difference. We also made the handle come apart at the back so the carbide glass breaker could be replaced if broken.

sal