So I think Spydies are beautiful...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
soc_monki

So I think Spydies are beautiful...

Post by soc_monki »

I see so many people say they are kind of ugly, but the function outweighs the form. Me personally, I think they are beautiful designs because of the functionality of them. They are different, and instantly recognizable. The only other knives that I even lust over are Rick Hinderer designs, which I why I have a cryo, Cryo 2, and a thermite. And a ZT 0566cf incoming!

I just catch myself staring at and playing with my Spydies. The blade shapes, handle shapes, lock mechanisms, scales... It all just fascinates me.

What about you? Do you think Spydies are beautiful, or are they ugly, but function better for you than other knives?
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Mom3ntuM

Re: So I think Spydies are beautiful...

Post by Mom3ntuM »

I think they are beautiful, and not Just the functionality.
Even the ones that are considered ugly, like the stretch. I think it has beautiful curvy lines. ;)
They are ALL functional pieces of art.
I constantly play with and fondle all my spydies.
I also love my Lionsteels..
But the spydies are something special...
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

Remember the saying "beauty is as beauty does". Their function is beautiful so what they look like is secondary.

As Sal says- the Spyderco is built for the hands, not for the eyes.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I think some of them are beautiful. I think some are ugly. Depends on the design.

Szabo folder, Street Beat, Police series, Native, Calypso, Military.....all of these look really good to me.
:unicorn
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I used to think their unconventional look was weird, but very quickly that changed. Some of them just melt into your hand, like the Native or Caly. Made to use and admire.
- best wishes, Jazz.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Safe to say that none of us would be here if we thought they were ugly. Not all models appeal to everyone, but obviously at least a few of them do!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i think the manix 2 lw isn’t the most attractive knife. especially mine, which is the hershey bar xhp version from kc. it’s just not a pretty knife. but once it disappeared into my hand the first time i held it, it was all over. absolutely beautiful and my favorite knife.
my second favorite is the yojimbo. that knife is all kinds of ugly, but in the coolest of ways. it’s like driving a volkswagen thing when everyone else is in a honda civic (that’s the pm2 in this analogy because everyone has them and they are good, but kind of boring).
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Spydercos most assuredly have an unorthodox form factor, but I find the design elements of the typical model to be so thoughtful that they possess an attractiveness that goes way beyond any superficial adherence to "prettiness." To me, Spyderco is THE definitive industrial designer in and of it's field.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I look at other brands, and can SEE the lack of ergo knowledge. Sal is the master, and he taught the E Man well.
- best wishes, Jazz.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Good comments everyone! I too look at other brands and wonder what they're thinking when it comes to the ergos. I think that's why I like hinderer designs as well. They just fit in your hand and work. I also love the Spydie hole! Best way to open a knife, period. The ball bearing lock and compression lock are awesome and fun to use.

I also have to say my para 3 is probably the knife I will carry the most. It fits great in my hand, is just the right size for most tasks, and is just easy to carry! I am debating going to a deep carry clip, but the lightweight model might make me keep it stock, just for variety lol!

Can't wait to pick up my zt 0566 and do some comparisons. I think it will be a great knife, but I think I'm pretty much going to be a Spydie fan for life!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

I think Spyderco makes the most recognizable knives on the market.They also offer a great variety of models and designs,basically something for every taste and budget.The in-house designs are,for me,the most beautiful knives ever created,and the most functional ones.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

soc_monki wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:09 pm
I see so many people say they are kind of ugly, but the function outweighs the form. Me personally, I think they are beautiful designs because of the functionality of them. They are different, and instantly recognizable. The only other knives that I even lust over are Rick Hinderer designs, which I why I have a cryo, Cryo 2, and a thermite. And a ZT 0566cf incoming!

I just catch myself staring at and playing with my Spydies. The blade shapes, handle shapes, lock mechanisms, scales... It all just fascinates me.

What about you? Do you think Spydies are beautiful, or are they ugly, but function better for you than other knives?
This is a most interesting subject matter you bring up. Because back in the late 90s/early 2000s I had about 4 different buddies of mine tell me how ugly they thought that Spyderco knives were. I had accumulated about 20 of them by the year 2000 and that's when I heard that the most of those off the wall comments :rolleyes: . But in your first sentence you make the case for "function">> and personally I'll always take function over trivial beauty especially with tools of any type.

There is an old saying that has endured for a long time and it's so true>> "Beauty Is In The Eye Of The Beholder">> even as far back as the late 90s I was seeing a functional beauty in most of the Spyderco knives that I had gotten by then. But on the other hand I believe Spyderco has had models that should be beautiful by anyone's standards. I've had nothing but compliments on my JD Smith, Ayoob and LUM models. When considering that the Spyderhole is a most awesome piece of engineering. Not to mention the ever so handy and functional pocket clips.

With all that said Spyders are truly beautiful to me. :cool:
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

You bring up pocket clips... Something I believe spyderco does better than anyone! I remember getting my first Kershaw (the tone) and how I had to bend the clip to even get it to go in my pocket. I haven't had to do that with any spyderco knife, the clips are just perfect.
However the clips on my hinderer design kershaws, and now my zero tolerance, are fine. Work well and don't cause Hotspots. But the Spydies are still better, and are more secure feeling.

And the spydie hole... What a breakthrough. Every time I use a knife other than a spydie I think "this should have a spydie hole!" lol!
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Glance at a table full of knives. The Spydercos stand out immediately. Why? Their function defines their form. Use and function are some of the main drivers in Spyderco’s designs resulting in distinctive knives. I find this most appealing. I think the early Porsche design philosophy was something like “form follows function”. Early Porsche racing cars were Spyders. Go figure.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I find a lot of Spyderco knives aesthetically pleasing. I can see that function follows form and I love this about them. I was just trying to explain this to my wife earlier tonight and now I find this thread. I was showing her my older Cat and explaining how I bought it to be a cheap travel knife, but then the qualities of the knife really won me over, like all of the Spydercos I own. One of my favorites is the Manix 2, in a mid sized knife. This design has no peer, in my opinion.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Crux

Post by Crux »

I have tons of knives that look awesome. Now I prefer knives that look good but perform, hence Spyderco.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

soc_monki wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:09 pm

Shhhh!!!

I agree with you the the stretch is one of my favorites. Sal really made the Stretch 1 and 2 perfect and more perfect. I worked with my Stretch2 in ZDP-189 and Native 5 in Lc200N today and looked at them both with adoration while slicing a bunch of cardboard. then I thought, Thanks Sal you are my hero.

Tonight I cleaned the glue off of both of them and used my M4 MIlitary DLC and thought my God this steel is sick! how can it be so much sharper than others?
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:16 pm

Shhhh!!!

I agree with you the the stretch is one of my favorites. Sal really made the Stretch 1 and 2 perfect and more perfect. I worked with my Stretch2 in ZDP-189 and Native 5 in Lc200N today and looked at them both with adoration while slicing a bunch of cardboard. then I thought, Thanks Sal you are my hero.

Tonight I cleaned the glue off of both of them and used my M4 MIlitary DLC and thought my God this steel is sick! how can it be so much sharper than others?
It all started with a Tenacious...read all sorts of stuff about it being one of the best budget knives around. Loved it, then got a Resilience because it was huge! then when my Manix 2 melted into my hand for the first time i knew i was hooked. they are gorgeous knives, and they walk the walk.

Spyderco is by far my go-to brand. i look at other knives and go "thats kind of cool but..." and look at my Spydies and just think I've got it covered! Although i think my 0566 is going to be carried a bit as well. its a very comfortable knife, very capable, and is just like i imagined; a more upscale version of the Cryo 2 (which i love!). Carbon fiber, s35vn steel, solid lock, no blade play. a little heavy, but i dont mind. still compare it to my manix and para 3 and i think they are all equal, but the spydies are better slicers i think (that full flat grind!)

just got done sharpening the ZT...scared myself! i put it to my arm and the hair just popped off...my wife thought i cut myself with the face i had! haha!
Crux

Post by Crux »

The eye is in the beholder but to me, these are beautiful knives.
Attachments
Boker_.JPG
Crux

Post by Crux »

And this.
Attachments
IMG_8033_.JPG