Wire clip just not for me

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Grjfer

Wire clip just not for me

Post by Grjfer »

Am I the the only one that dislikes the wire clips? I bought a dragonfly with the thoughts of carrying it off hand ie left pocket. Really wanted to like the wire clip. I never felt it was secure enough not to be constantly checking on it. The clip wobbled, even after several adjustments. Give me a standard clip any day.
araneae

Re: Wire clip just not for me

Post by araneae »

Having carried a dragonfly perhaps more than any other knife, I can say your concern has never been an issue for me. I cannot recall a single incident where the knife came out when i didn`t want it to. Give it some time, I doubt you`ll have an issue.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It has secured my 5.35oz Autonomy quite well for over a year now. I had concerns about a wire clip holding that much weight but it hasn't let me down yet.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

My only issue was on a chaparral when it got caught on a doorframe. Came loose on one side of the clip. But i fixed it easily so i have no worries
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

If you keep the barrel nut tight you should experience no issues that you would not with a metal clip.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

I’m not a fan either, they dig in and move around too much in use. As far as working as a pocket clip I have no issues with them. I always bend my clips for better retention when I switch them being a lefty so they hold my knives just fine. Deep carry and discreet.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
willc

Post by willc »

At first I didn’t care for the wire clip but over the years it has become my preferred type clip.

I really wish the LW Native transitioned over to the wire clip and really most of the frn models would look and carry better with it.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I only like them on small or really light knives, like the Dfly or UKPK. My Dflies have all been too tight. I had to put them in a vise and loosen them a tad.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Either one, don't care.

I've never had an issue with either one coming out of my pocket.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

If I could choose, I'd probably take a standard clip on knives starting with Delica size and bigger.
But I am ok with wire clips too.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

If you wear the knife IWB, it will not snag no matter which clip you use.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

I like the wire clip for lighter knives. The longest knife I have a wire clip on is a Positron and it works well on that model. The standard clip is the one that catches on things and is more bothersome for me especially the one on the Military for some reason. I have tried 2 kinds of deep carry clips and neither one was definitely superior to the stock clips in use. I think Sal and Eric should experiment a little to find a better design but the clip is not what I buy a knife for. End of the day any functional clip is fine.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
Brackish

Post by Brackish »

Love the wire clips personally.
Spydiechef, Dragonfly Salt 2, Native 5 Salt, Native 5 Cruwear, and Q-ball (Newest Addition)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I used to prefer them, but now I don't. Wouldn't cause me not to purchase a knife that interests me though. I found the clip on my Chap LW lost a bit of tension and also became loose on me once. You're also stuck with wire clip or no clip. No in-between options.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

I think the wire clip even works well on something the size of the D'Allara 3. I don't know if I'd trust it on anything bigger but it's definitely stronger than most people think. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing it on more of the lw models.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I don't mind the hour glass clips but I much prefer the wire clips.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!